Home

Truck tires

Posted By: mudtracker

Truck tires - 02/02/19 11:58 PM

Gotta put some new tires on the old f150. Looking at hankook dynapro atm and at Cooper at3. Price is pretty similar, atms look a little more aggressive. If you have had theses tires how did you like them? Mostly concerned with treadwear, traction and noise.
Thanks
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:01 AM

Cooper At3 are what I use. I get 40,000 out of them. They wear good even when towing. I tried the mastercraft brand that cooper makes but they wear faster. I went back to at3. Good snow traction. Not too much road noise. Made in USA.

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:08 AM

Thanks
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:12 AM

If I lived in Minnesota, I'd be looking hard at the Falken Wildpeak AT3w....Great snow rated AT tire, that does very well in snow and ice, not as good in mud, but not bad...I bet they're cheaper than the tires mentioned above too.

Forgot to mention previously, very good tread life, and little road noise also.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:14 AM

I have always ran coopers
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:22 AM

I've run both on my Duramax. Got 65,000 out of the Coopers. Running the Hankook now. Handle great, feel great, and are quieter than the Cooper. Still have a set of Coopers on the other truck. They are wearing awesome, also. Got 45,000 on them, and they look like new.

You won't go wrong with either one, but I think I like my Hankooks better.

Oh, by the way...mine are the Hankook copy that Discount tire sells. It's the exact same tire...and roll off the same line at the same time...just get a different stamp on the sidewall. The store manager told me he was at the factory watching them made, when they sealed the deal to have the tires made for Discount Tire. Think I saved about $160 on the set.

I sure like mine, and have nothing bad to say about them. Rotate every 5,000 or so, and run plenty of air, and you'll be GTG.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:25 AM

I am running the same Cooper tires and have had great wear with them. THey were very quite till around 30,000 miles. The BF Goodrich K0 2 is like the cooper but rides quite for over 50,000 miles. My next set will be the K0 2.

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 12:54 AM

Yukon Al , What's it say on the sidewalls of those hankook copies? Are they all terrain trail guide, or something like that? I have e set of those on my old Durango that the tread looks like hankooks.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:04 AM

Look into some Roadian M/Ts great tires for the price!
Posted By: Osky

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:05 AM

Mud... I just had a full set of Hankook Dynapro ATM put on a Grand Cherokee I am fitting out for fun. They are 30” tires. Paid just over 500 all in and out the door. I have about 400 miles on them, 250 of that today. Very happy on the highway and ran them around in 8” fresh snow today as well and I am very happy traction wise as well.

Osky
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:06 AM

Cooper's are-were shorter than other tires, same number and everything, my wore out michelin was taller than a new Cooper with same size number,
I hydroplaned twice one winter one one inch of snow, with brand new hakooks, I only get Michelin now
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:08 AM

Yep..Im running coopers..rotate every 3000 miles so far so good..38,000 on them and still have half life...

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:12 AM

I think I lost one mile per gallon because they were shorter, they were on my last gas truck, 98 4wd

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:18 AM

Tactical you hydroplaned on hankook atm tires? Really wet slushy snow?
Posted By: mauser06

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:18 AM

I ran AT3s on a Ranger and loved them.

I ran AT3s on a 1500 Sierra....didn't love them. Uneven wear and a belt broke in a front tire. Also had issues with punctures.

I have the Dynapros on the Sierra now. Had them a few months now and around 10k miles. I love them. They are IMO a better tire for my uses. A little more aggressive and a lot better traction. Especially wet roads and snow. They are actually snow rated. I can definitely tell the difference.

Noise, I dont really notice either one...

Tread life is to be determined on the Dynapros...but, I just looked at them today and they look good as new.

It's my daily driver...but my only vehicle so snow, mud, dirt road, farm lanes etc..I need a good in between tire. I think I've found one I like. Nitto makes one I was also looking at...I think the Ridge Grappler was the one I was looking at...reviews and everything seemed good and I think price was comparable.

Should note....my gas mileage has dropped pretty significantly. But it's hard to determine for sure because winter idling and my daily drive is different than it used to be. Same size but definitely a heavier more aggressive tire.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:43 AM

I have AT3’s on my 2013 F150. This is my first set of Coopers and I’m pleased with the performance in mud and snow. I’m about 8K in on them and they look like new. A little bit of road noise when brand new but not bad.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
I think I lost one mile per gallon because they were shorter, they were on my last gas truck, 98 4wd

Interesting. Usually mileage goes down when you oversize from oem.

Osky
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 02:06 AM

I sell tires for a living. Either tire is good. I have ran both and would lean towards Hankook.
Whichever you buy, rotate religiously.

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Interesting. Usually mileage goes down when you oversize from oem.

Osky

Not oversized tires, same exact number but not same size
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 02:57 AM

Tires that last 50,000+ miles are not usually great snow/ ice tires.
Softer compound tires are what you want but don't expect great longevity.

Price wise, the best tires I've found that are a GREAT tire is the General Grabber AT2' s.
Posted By: rats4me

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 03:01 AM

I had a little over 80k on my hankoook dynapro when I replaced them this fall. Good tires , I would have put them on again but I switched out to a lt tire instead of the p rating because I haul wood in my pickup and wanted a tire with a higher load rating.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 03:02 AM

I have run the Hankook ATM tires on my 1997 F150 for a few years now....no complaints.

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 03:03 AM

Tires that last 50,000+ miles are not usually great snow/ ice tires.
Softer compound tires are what you want but don't expect great longevity.

Price wise, the best tires I've found that are a GREAT tire is the General Grabber AT2' s.

I've got Cooper at3, s on my 3/4 ton suburban.
Can't wait to get them off!
Terrible on snow n ice!

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies
Posted By: jjbathke2001

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 10:08 PM

I won’t run dynapros anymore. 30k on the f150 and they were shot. 25k on the f250 same thing. Rotated every oil change. Went back to bfg at. Little spendy but I get 50k out of them.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 10:32 PM

I believe the Hankooks are made in China. I ran a set of them and the sidewalls were like paper thin. I ended up cutting 3 sidewalls in one year and scrapping almost new tires. Wasn't real impressed with them. Have had good luck with the BFG's or General Grabber AT3's
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Truck tires - 02/03/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by mudtracker
Gotta put some new tires on the old f150. Looking at hankook dynapro atm and at Cooper at3. Price is pretty similar, atms look a little more aggressive. If you have had theses tires how did you like them? Mostly concerned with treadwear, traction and noise.
Thanks

4x4? What year?

I'm running these now in a LT285 75 16 on my 03'. Largest tires that fit without a lift. So far so good. Had AT3's and HATED them. Started getting flats in a month and wore terribly.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:09 AM

I've been running the Dynapro's for that last 6-7 years. When new they are great winter tires. After 30-40k, not so much. It just so happens that I put on about 60k per year. Every fall I put on a new set on my
Silverado. So, they dig through the snow when they are new, and are perfectly at home on the dry pavement with a little age. The perfect formula for me.

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I've been running the Dynapro's for that last 6-7 years. When new they are great winter tires. After 30-40k, not so much. It just so happens that I put on about 60k per year. Every fall I put on a new set on my
Silverado. So, they dig through the snow when they are new, and are perfectly at home on the dry pavement with a little age. The perfect formula for me.

That's a good point!
Posted By: Fairchild #17

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:19 AM

I never had a Cooper tire that I liked on any vehicle, especially AT3s on three different full sized trucks. The worst choppiest tire wear I've ever seen. Totally baffled with how they can wear down one lug, skip a lug, wear down two, skip one, wear down 1, skip 2......every tire, every time.

The last tires I put on this F150 are Kuhmos AT something rather. They have been fantastic with wear, traction, and ride. I've never had a bad set of Kuhmos.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fairchild #17
The last tires I put on this F150 are Kuhmos AT something rather. They have been fantastic with wear, traction, and ride. I've never had a bad set of Kuhmos.

I've never been one to get excited about tires but these things are great. I've never had a tire bite the snow like these do. I wanted a ten ply tire for the gravel roads near my camp but no manufacturer makes them for a Chevy Colorado, so I'm told. The dealer suggested these in an eight ply. I'm glad I listened to him.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:28 AM

I put Goodyear Duratrac on my 2008 GMC 2500 HD in December. Unbelievable traction and very little tire noise.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 12:40 AM

X2 on the duratrac-great tire.

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 01:20 AM

I am running 265/70/17 On a 02 f150 4x4. Right now I have a worn smooth set of Michelin on there. Were on the truck when I bought it, highway tread on those. Need something that will get me on and off the lakes for ice fishing. Down the muddy back roads, boat ramps etc. It is my daily driver so I don't want to hear the howling when i am going down the highway.

ADC those tires look like they could be loud?

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 01:32 AM

My 70k Michelins lasted 56k miles, not bad for a diesel
Posted By: LDW

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 02:01 AM

I'm currently running AT3's on my 2500hd Chevy. I really like them so far, just 20,000 miles on them. I do rotate every 5-6000 miles.

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 03:08 AM

Yup I rotate every 6-8,000 miles, got an impact wrench few years ago to make it easier, DeWalt rechargable impact
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 04:15 AM

I am running 265/70/17 On a 02 f150 4x4. Right now I have a worn smooth set of Michelin on there. Were on the truck when I bought it, highway tread on those. Need something that will get me on and off the lakes for ice fishing. Down the muddy back roads, boat ramps etc. It is my daily driver so I don't want to hear the howling when i am going down the highway.

ADC those tires look like they could be loud?

They are not loud at all, I mean you can tell they have tread on them but its dang quiet for the amount of tread. Go big on the tires, no one ever had too much traction or clearance. 285/75-17 or similar.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 04:27 AM

Yukon Al , What's it say on the sidewalls of those hankook copies? Are they all terrain trail guide, or something like that? I have e set of those on my old Durango that the tread looks like hankooks.

Pathfinder All Terrain. I got the load range E. Very happy with them, and will go the same route when it is time.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 01:54 PM

I agree with bucksnbears I've got a set of Cooper at3 tires on a 3/4 ton GMC the tire shop didn't have at the time any Toyo open country AT's I wish I'd of waited for the Toyo's . I seen the salesman a while back & he asked how I liked them my response wasn't what he was expecting I won't be buying any more Cooper tires for any 4wd's I own .
It's sad when you have to engage the 4wd to make it up a small hill even when your in a lower gear and not mashing the gas pedal to the floor, he told me I needed to add weight to the box of the pickup, I feel if the tires are any good I shouldn't have to.
Posted By: coonfinder

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 02:27 PM

I’m running the Hankook dynapro Mt’s not at’s on my 89’ Ford F-150. I think I have about 15,000 miles on them and they’re great! They’re awesome in the snow as far as I can tell and with what little we’ve had and they’re definitely what I needed for the mud that we get with all the rain. Good traction, wide base, and great release even in the muckiest of mud! And hardly Any road noise! I’d recommend them to any of the trappers and hunters out there. Only down side I’d say would be that they’re a softer compound rubber so if you have a heavy vehicle then maybe go with something else.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 02:39 PM

I've got a set of Cooper At3 tires on my Nissan Titan, worst tires ever. They offer no traction for winter conditions, the Yokohama's I had on previously got me more places in 2wd to where I have to use 4wd all the time with the Coopers. And they wear out fast in any type of gravel road. Did not make even a year with them before they were to the wear bars.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 02:42 PM

Cathouse what kind of Yokohamas?
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Cathouse what kind of Yokohamas?

I wish I knew as I left them with the tire store. I need to look through some older pics in hopes of ID'ing them as I would buy another set. Sorry, I couldn't help you more.
Posted By: JohnnyY

Re: Truck tires - 02/04/19 03:12 PM

Ran the Hankooks for a few years (drive an hour to work) and they handled everything very well. Snow,Rain, and Slushy conditions.....usually early enough in the morning the roads are never plowed. The only tire I've found better is the BFG KO2s...but they are a little louder if that matters.
Posted By: charles

Re: Truck tires - 02/05/19 01:40 AM

Had a good experience with Hankook on an F150. Bought an Explorer with same tire and only got 25000 miles, but they rode good and wear was very even all around.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums