Home

Pulled line. Retired from trapping

Posted By: Furvor

Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:21 PM

At age 87 my trapping days have come and gone. I am officially hanging it up for good. Good luck to you guys and gals that continue in the endeaver.

Dick Mondy aka furver
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:27 PM

Are you sure ? You may get the itch next season
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:29 PM

You had a good run-enjoy your retirement.The time will come for us all to make that decision one day.A good friend of mine hung it up a couple years ago.He still misses trapping but made the right decision at the right time.He is also in his 80's.His legs gave out on him.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Are you sure ? You may get the itch next season

Yep, I wouldn't sell out completely Furvor, you very well may have to scratch that itch next season. My best to ya!!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:31 PM

That quite a run !......and hard to follow ....now it’s story time !
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:43 PM

Wow, I hope I last that long!

Good luck
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:45 PM

Hey, there's always mice, squirrels, possums and coons trying to invade the house and out buildings. A lot less rigorous, but still trapping nonetheless. Quitting is for quitters, man.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:50 PM

I hope you had a good run. And I hope to still be trapping in my eighties.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:55 PM

Furvor I really enjoyed our talks I be calling you soon ,you have been blessed.
Talk to you soon
It's tough after all those years ,but you have lots to share with others my hope is that young ones coming up listen.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 10:58 PM

Best wishes to you. Everything has a beginning and an end. I’ll be happy to just see 87 and still be in decent health.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:04 PM

Enjoy retirement!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:04 PM

So I have 20 years to go?? Still a chance to see a warm dry Fall I guess

God's Blessings to you Mr. Mondy
Posted By: corky

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:08 PM

Stick around here
Posted By: Posco

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:10 PM

You just gave me a new perspective on my aches and pains. I hope you don't retire from these pages.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:16 PM

Congratulations on a nice long run. Hope I can make it that long.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:21 PM

Well Mr. Mondy a run that long is a worthy achievement. Enjoy the rocking chair time.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:26 PM

Well, as someone who is just getting into trapping, happy retirement to you. Sounds like you had a good run at it. But I'm with others... you know you're gonna have to scratch that itch next year.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:27 PM

Many blessings in your future endeavors!

Chris
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:33 PM

Remember you still have a lot of experience & knowledge to share on this forum. Have fun and enjoy your slow down, I know you will never retire completely. LOL
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:37 PM

Please keep up with us on Tman! Enjoy your retirement!

Bless you Mr. Mondy
Posted By: Osky

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/19/19 11:48 PM

I do hope it's been a great run for you. Happy trails to you....

Osky
Posted By: Marty

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 12:54 AM

It is awesome that you were still trapping. Your an inspiration.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 12:56 AM

Enjoy your retirement
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:01 AM

That's long time trapping. My Dad is 87 and don't get around to good but he still checks some of my K9 sets. Hopefully you'll ride along on a friend's line from time to time. I hope you'll stay on here and give some pointers some time.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis W
That's long time trapping. My Dad is 87 and don't get around to good but he still checks some of my K9 sets. Hopefully you'll ride along on a friend's line from time to time. I hope you'll stay on here and give some pointers some time.

That's what I was thinking - you could ride along with some youngster and give them all kinds of good advice from a wealth of knowledge.
That way you're still in the game without all the physical exertion...
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:15 AM

hope you continue to hang out here...I've always enjoyed your posts!
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:23 AM

Good luck in your retirement. You have seen a lot of things change, young folks have no idea how much. Are you in the USTA? Keep in touch here.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:40 AM

You have seen 3 fur booms in your life. The 50's, the 70's, and the 2010-2014 time frames. I hope you see another one and tell us a story of the ones you lived through.

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 02:11 AM

Two particular highlights I cherish: In about 1944 as a kid one of my mink sold for $24. (A dollar was worth a lot then). Second, last season two of my cats sold for over $!,000 each ($1250 & $1150 to be exact). I was out of trapping from 1945 to 1977 but was always doing some hunting and fishing. I have always been, and still am, an outdoor person. When stuck in offices for many years I compensated by getting out on factory floors and talking to people to get away from theory and find out how things really worked.

Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 02:16 AM

See, that's the gold we want to hear about. If you do full on retire you can feed us wonderful stories from time to time!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 02:21 AM

[quote=Catch22]See, that's the gold we want to hear about. If you do full on retire you can feed us wonderful stories from time to time![/quote

X2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Furvor
Two particular highlights I cherish: In about 1944 as a kid one of my mink sold for $24. (A dollar was worth a lot then). Second, last season two of my cats sold for over $!,000 each ($1250 & $1150 to be exact). I was out of trapping from 1945 to 1977 but was always doing some hunting and fishing. I have always been, and still am, an outdoor person. When stuck in offices for many years I compensated by getting out on factory floors and talking to people to get away from theory and find out how things really worked.

Thanks for the replies.

Where did you catch that $24 mink? My dad tells stories of a dog they had that had a habit of catching/baying mink. He said he would get around that same amount back in that era. His stomping grounds were on the Bayou Meto just east of Lonoke,AR.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 03:24 AM

With over 40 years of trapping you have so much to teach us new guys. Not to mention everything else that you have learned that you could share.

I wish I had someone such as yourself that could have mentored me. I would love to have someone that I could stop in and share what happened on the line. I am in my mid 30s and learned a ton from this site and youtube. I have 3 kids that I am trying to pass my passions off to. With some luck I just might be in your shoes and be able to sit back and coach. Tho I might just be a pain in the butt and make them drive me around.

Of course that is stacking the deck in my favor. I have over 50 to get where you are. If I make it that long I hope I have someone to drag me around with them, or atleast tell me what happened on the line.

Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy your ride a longs and the stories that you will hear. You earned them.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 04:50 AM

Good luck to you!

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 06:16 AM

Where did you catch that $24 mink?

Monroe County AR, east bank of White River about 4 miles downstream from Clarendon.

I wish I had someone such as yourself that could have mentored me.

When I look back to the very crude trapping I did as a kid I think of the money I could have made if the learning resources of today had been available to me. Then again, instead of going to school I grew up fishing with a cane pole and trotlining for catfish. In those pre-flood control dam days where I lived the river flooded its banks just about every year.

I will be happy to help inexperienced trappers of whatever age when and where I can.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 11:26 AM

my hats off to you SIR,if not trapping it sounds like you should stick around and give these youngsters some advice on life.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/20/19 01:08 PM

Congrats!! And please do enjoy your retirement! Please hang around for all us youngsters that always need help. God bless.
Posted By: mifox

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/21/19 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by grayfox54
Wow, I hope I last that long!

Good luck

Me too. It has to be a very hard decision to make when it's time to quit, but trapping is a physically challenging activity. I sure don't/can't trap on the scale I did 40 years ago, but I still set a short line. Like the Toby Keith song goes...." I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
Posted By: seiowatrapper

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/21/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Many blessings in your future endeavors!

Chris

Yes. ^^ Congrats on your longevity, that is impressive. But maybe you might make just one set next year?? smile Good luck either way!
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/21/19 09:06 PM

Wow, impressive to still be able to trap at 87.

I posted about two years ago that I was about to hang it up. had a few fellas tell me to not sell everything as I might get the itch again. Well I did. Didn't trap nearly as much but enough to scratch that itch. You might keep a few traps and such just in case that itch gets to where you have to scratch it again.

Wishing you the best either way!!!!!!
Posted By: H. Fitzgerald

Re: Pulled line. Retired from trapping - 01/21/19 11:04 PM

I quit at age 73 due to bad health. But I still take care od some groundhogs and problem skunks. When the pain is more than the fun then it's time to hang them up. Good luck to all you grey hair trappers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums