Home

Knife Sharpener

Posted By: shortliner16

Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 05:50 PM

Anyone recommend a good knife sharpener? Not really wanting a mechanical one, want one that can get a knife shaving sharp.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 05:52 PM

Diamond whetstone. There are several brands.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 06:05 PM

Worksharp is mechanical and will sharpen enough to shave with. Then, you just maintain the blade with a butchers steel.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by shortliner16
Anyone recommend a good knife sharpener? Not really wanting a mechanical one, want one that can get a knife shaving sharp.

I've been using a Lansky system for many years. I was never any good at holding a precise angle and the Lansky does that for me. It won't take too much steel off like some mechanicals can either. I have one at home and one at camp.

I recently starting using a honing steel to touch up my knives and an amazed by how much longer I can go between sharpenings. I liked it so much I bought a second one just for the fur shed.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 07:02 PM

i use a lansky too

if you want something better, but pricier, KME, Wicked Edge, and edge pro are good options
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 11:38 PM

I have always had a hard time getting knives sharp. I've tried the work sharp grinder, lansky five stone set, and a few other ones. I recently bought a lansky four rod turn box. It will put a really sharp edge on a knife. The knife needs to be close because it doesn't have a very coarse stone, but it can sharpen the really easily really fast. It's also less than $20 and is small so it can get packed anywhere.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/08/19 11:45 PM

Get a good old Norton oil stone.
Posted By: charles

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 01:23 AM

Hard to beat a worksharp and an F.Dick hypersteel. Have to go to 8000 grit Japanese stone and spend lots of time to beat the edge the F.Dick will restore.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 01:48 AM

Rada is the most inexpensive and best sharpener I’ve ever used.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 02:25 AM

My suggestion would be to learn how to use whetstones. Diamond plates or water stones in different grits. I have them from 600 to 10000 use them for all sorts of blades from knives to planes and wood chisels and axes. Both the stones / plates and the skill are a good investment
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 02:36 AM

I just pick up old oilstones at garge sales and such. And steels. If you touch then up regularly, you don't need anything else.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 03:31 AM

I've tried a few over the years. Got a Lansky and they work real good but are very slow to get the job done. I have a Dunn wheel outfit that works great once you get the eye for it. It does not work so much for longer blade knives, like a fillet knife as the other wheel tends to get in my way. I use an Accu Sharp a lot on my cheaper knives and the give them a couple licks on the steel and they are more than sharp enough for anything I do, they remove a good bit of steel though.
You folks that talk about the F Dick steel, what model do you recommend? I went to their web page and got the thousand mile stare looking at their lineup.

Zim
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
My suggestion would be to learn how to use whetstones. Diamond plates or water stones in different grits. I have them from 600 to 10000 use them for all sorts of blades from knives to planes and wood chisels and axes. Both the stones / plates and the skill are a good investment

I have to agree with scuba in that if you take the time to learn how nothing beats a good set of stones I have them up to 40,000 and after using that the edge looks like it has been polished

I also have a work sharp for when I am in a hurry and it will do an acceptable job but nothing like a set of stones will even the common 3 stone sets if you know how to use them

I have a friend that has a wicked edge with the 40000 grit stone and it will do a good job but in my opinion I do better by hand if I do say so myself but then I have 40 years of practice to draw on
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
You folks that talk about the F Dick steel, what model do you recommend? I went to their web page and got the thousand mile stare looking at their lineup.

Zim

When I looked at them I got sticker shocked!

I got a Victorinox fine cut. I liked it so much I bought another just for the fur shed. The two together were less than an F.Dick.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
I've tried a few over the years. Got a Lansky and they work real good but are very slow to get the job done. I have a Dunn wheel outfit that works great once you get the eye for it. It does not work so much for longer blade knives, like a fillet knife as the other wheel tends to get in my way. I use an Accu Sharp a lot on my cheaper knives and the give them a couple licks on the steel and they are more than sharp enough for anything I do, they remove a good bit of steel though.

Zim

I bought a couple of Accu Sharp's based on a recommendation from a previous post- they really do a nice job for a quick sharp edge. Typically wet stone all my hunting knives
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

When I looked at them I got sticker shocked!

OI got a Victorinox fine cut. I liked it so much I bought another just for the fur shed. The two together were less than an F.Dick.

I use a Victorinox steel also, and I really like it.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 11:45 AM

Love my worksharp
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/09/19 12:08 PM

The best non mechanical system I have use is the Edge Pro. You want scary sharp this will do it and it's not nearly as slow as a Lansky. It comes with grits from 120 - 1000 and tapes to further polishing to 3000 and beyond.

I have sharpened knives for years and it's more of a hobby for me. Quality products and time is what makes for a perfect edge.I have no problem taking a stone and getting a blade to shave hair. I can shave with a broad head after a few strokes on a file.

What I have found is that sharpening skills are similar to mechanical ability. For many, either you have the touch and patience or you don't. You can spend time learning and practicing, but everyone's aptitude is different. The more you can take yourself out of the equation for some the better, however for a few no amount of free hand sharpening will end well. That's why I support the WorkSharp for those that say they have tried everything and want to finally succeed.

My opinion YMMV

WS
Posted By: Maynard B

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/10/19 12:00 AM

Dunn system for me too. Zim use 2 different grinders with one wheel on each for longer knives
Posted By: brisket

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/10/19 12:12 AM

spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker
fastest, easiest, simplest system i've ever used. you can buy extra fine stones that put a crazy sharp edge on knives if you want. Works on "super steels" also
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/10/19 12:14 AM

Chef's Choice is nice, but spendy. I have the 1520, but never use the 15 wheel.
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Knife Sharpener - 01/10/19 01:55 PM

I have a Gatco & it's pretty good.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums