Home

Weird Mulie hanging around.

Posted By: Law Dog

Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:37 AM

Was at the farm today went to shoot some pigeons for cage trap bait I was sitting on the apron of a silo and when I looked around the corner and was 10 feet from a mulie buck butt it seen me and walked out to 30 yards and stood there looking back. Seen it several times hanging around the big bales once in the same place 2 days apart. Acts weird but looks healthy a 3X3 with potential in the future but it is either sick, stupid or fearless.

I about left but then went back and it was still standing there looking at me just weird, last night he was standing in front of a building in the driveway.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:40 AM

Nice looking animal!
Posted By: Osky

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:48 AM

Do you have more pics Law.. Looking at the hanging belly and what looks like a swayed back.... Are you sure it's a young one?

Osky

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:52 AM

That was with my phone but 1st pic I took of it for all of the times I have seen it, a 3X3 spindle rack but did not have the old white face like a older mule deer, the belly is big from the corn pile maybe? LOL

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:53 AM

Ah. Sure could be. In this picture it looks plenty mature.

Osky

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 03:56 AM

He's living like the fox do out here he ain't leaving the farm place for some reason and not afraid to be 30 yards from a person in the open mid-day even?

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 04:04 AM

I had a very big doe do that here not that many years ago. Especially liked the Mohican when she was here. Followed here all over. That deer would stand just a few feet away at the shed doors and watch me work on things. Nearly walked into her coming around building corners. I lik d having that deer around.

Osky
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 04:39 AM

I think Hes just comfortable around there with plenty of Chow.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 06:11 AM

He's thinking, " I'm not a skunk or a badger- so I'm safe !!! " LOL Jerry, if ya try to slap a saddle on it & try for your 8 seconds , please get a video !
Dennis
Posted By: Hal

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 11:03 AM

Got to be something wrong with it.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 11:57 AM

That's what we say bout u!!!
Posted By: KansasAce

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 11:59 AM

He may have a brain abscess infection. I shot one twenty feet behind my house this year after watching it walk in circles for twenty minutes. Called my Local LEO and he said go ahead a put it down and issued me a salvage tag later. He was right when he told me what was wrong with it. When cleaning the skull there was a tiny hole just at the base of his left antler. And that thing was full of yuck! Really sad actually to see such a nice animal be totally helpless. Below is the below and after pictures. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Darwin

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 12:47 PM

Maybe he's seen you shoot!
smirk

That is different for sure.

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 02:08 PM

Heck I was so close I could of shot him with a rubber band no problem, he walks fine but one eye is a little weepy but he just never leaves the place the whitetails get that blue tongue (walk in circles) but not the mulies here. We have been hit with that twice in the last 10-12 years it hammered the whitetails but the mule deer do better when we have less whitetails around.

Will let him be and see what happens kind of neat having a semi tame deer hanging around just so it doesn't go medieval some day on my brother-in -law! eek
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

Not nessiarly could have just come from someplace where it was being feed regularly and got used to people or even just been around where he has not been molested

The gun range I go to has a couple of deer that hang around and act like that even with guns going off all over the place you will turn around and find one stand a couple yards behind you watching you

Can give you the creeps sometimes to turn around and find one giving you the big eye
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 02:59 PM

Could be corn sick. Cattle brought up on corn too fast will act like that. Might have to catch him and give him some sodium bicarb.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 04:32 PM

Maybe he was someones bottle baby? It happens here from time to time. A few years ago a guy I knew of raised a buck. It was an 8 pt last year and still came around their place for apples.

Its dangerous to have one and illegal here in WV.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 07:11 PM

He's probably just used to people and knows you don't have a tag laugh
Posted By: PA_K-9_Trapper

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by KansasAce
He may have a brain abscess infection.

I agree with this, sometimes if they get into a fight tips of the other deer's antler will break off in their head. Sometimes they will even work into their brains and cause them to look healthy but act weird. At least we've seen that in white tails here.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 08:57 PM

Is season out ? He may be smarter than you think. Season's over no worries !!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 08:59 PM

Ok the one example of the brain absece the guy said the deer was walking in circles looking at the sky and singing jeremiah was a bull frog. Just because this one is friendly don't mean he has a brain infection .....

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/04/19 08:59 PM

He's safe unless he gets some mass on him!

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 01:56 AM

Well he started walking in circles and the CO came and shot it yesterday I cut the rack off for the CO and saved the brain for testing. It had brow tines so it was a 4X4.

Would like to know if it was CWD it seems too late in the year for blue tongue, never knew of anything killing the mule deer here like the whitetails die from, will see what they find out.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 02:00 AM

As mentioned, walking in circles nearly always means brain absess.

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 02:09 AM

I have seen as many as 19 whitetail dead at a stock dam water hole from the blue tongue. I'm told the fever drives them to water at the end. I have never seen it hit mule deer, does it?

Osky
Posted By: KansasAce

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 02:14 AM

As I said in my earlier post. The walking in circles is what the LEO said was the giveaway of the abscess. Because the first thing I thought was cwd. I could not tell but Jeremiah was a bullfrog wasn't what he was singing it was Mott the hoople all the young dudes. lol I have him on IPhone video before I shot him but can't get it to load.

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 04:06 AM

My CO guessed brain worm found this will see if they test the brain sample I saved, so I found this on a web search who really knows. LOL

Nebraska Game and Parks officials are asking hunters to keep watch this fall for deer showing signs of disease.
State officials say hunters in the field should be aware that they could encounter a deer with chronic wasting disease, brain worm or deer lice. None of the diseases are known to be harmful to humans.
Chronic wasting disease is always fatal to deer, and can lead them to appear thin and rough-looking.
Brain worm may cause mule deer to walk in tight circles and be unafraid of humans when approached. They also may throw their heads around or display other neurological symptoms.
Deer lice cause an allergic reaction that causes deer to scratch
and rub themselves. Infected deer may have a rough look and entire
patches of fur missing.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Weird Mulie hanging around. - 01/06/19 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hal

I told you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums