Home

Any Federal Workers Out There?

Posted By: Muskrat Love

Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:09 AM

Just wanting to see if any out in Trapperman Land are Federal workers.

We are still getting our mail, and I'm hoping it continues to be delivered throughout this shutdown. I'm assuming that those still working will receive their pay for the shutdown period, when it's over.

When you furloughed, is it like you're laid off? No pay as long as you're not working.

I would like only federal workers or their spouses to answer, not those who think they know the answer.
Thinking of giving the mail,lady something for the New Year!
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:20 AM

No pay during furlough but in the past I have always received back pay. No guarantee. I work for USDA.
Posted By: yote65Ga

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:20 AM

I worked for the federal government for 30 years in the FAA branch. In a furlough situation you take turns being off work. In other words if there are six employees in your group three would be furloughed the first day while the other three would report for work and NOT BE PAID until the shutdown is over. The next day the other three employees would be off on furlough and the first three that were furloughed would be at work and NOT BE PAID until the shutdown is over.

It is very disruptive to the work schedule and pay status. There is no seniority when it comes to furlough. Everyone must take their turn. If you live pay to pay it can be devastating.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:39 AM

We should be paid for this last pp because all (for most of us) of those hours occurred before the shut down. The Prez's new chief-of-staff and current OPM head said so last Sunday but perhaps he wasn't briefed properly. The hours that would have started this past Sunday are in the holding "pattern" and won't be paid until probably a later date (almost always paid retroactive). The longest one I've been through was in October 2013 that went a couple of weeks but there during the first or second Clinton term that went about a month. People I work with said that, "got old"...

I work with a lot of contractors. Their fate is less certain than ours. I was in the office on Dec 21 until almost 7 pm getting a journal article review done that was due by Jan 3. I didn't want the authors or the journal editors (none of them federal employees) left hanging by my inability to touch my keyboard until things are resolved. A lot of people take vacation between Christmas and New Years, so that, and an ongoing blizzard, make it seem less real as of now. The reality will sink more starting Jan 2.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:59 AM

Like has been said we should get 1 more check that was from before the shut down . Then its a holding pattern. No work or pay and if you choose to apply for unemployment and back pay is authorized you have to pay it back. Im not quite pay check to pay check but an extended shut down will hurt. Worst part is i dont have the extra cash to really hit the trapping right now. Should have some next week tho. Id rather they settle this now then keep pushing it off to go through this every couple weeks meaning running out of funding and having the unknown.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 01:10 AM

Id rather they settle this now then keep pushing it off to go through this every couple weeks meaning running out of funding and having the unknown.

Yep, continuing CRs suck. We can't start any new work when we're on those. Up through the Carter administration, fed fiscal year started July 1 but then they pushed it back until Oct 1 because Congress and the President couldn't get the budget process done by July 1. Now they can't get it done by Oct 1. I've been on the "white badge" side of things for a decade and we've never had a finalized budget by Oct 1. The new fiscal year always starts with a CR.
Posted By: jasonv

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 01:22 AM

I work for the A.
Shutdowns don’t impact us. Keep open and pay as usual.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 01:43 AM

I’ve been through several shutdowns since 1985.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:05 AM

Seems like nothing shuts down,everyone gets paid maybe late but gets paid for a vacation whats the use. If its shut down no one works, no one gets paid the public govt. employee or citizen will complain maybe something would get done. Empty Threat
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:13 AM

There are several federal employees and I thank those on this forum for letting us know your status and how your particular agencies or divisions work with and through these shut downs. Also we should remember that the federal civilian workforce does not make or set the rules of payment etc. Shutting down government is basically all about politics instead of working to run a more efficient and effective government.

Bryce
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:15 AM

I thought ( other than vaca ) getting paid for not working was called welfare.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:34 AM

Well then, it's an unplanned and very stressful and disruptive vacation, cause it sure ain't welfare.
Posted By: Andy27

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

Boy you sure seem to have an answer for everything.
Posted By: Iowagian

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat Love
Just wanting to see if any out in Trapperman Land are Federal workers.

We are still getting our mail, and I'm hoping it continues to be delivered throughout this shutdown. I'm assuming that those still working will receive their pay for the shutdown period, when it's over.

When you furloughed, is it like you're laid off? No pay as long as you're not working.

I would like only federal workers or their spouses to answer, not those who think they know the answer.
Thinking of giving the mail,lady something for the New Year!

The Postal Service is not affected by the shutdown.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 03:07 AM

Cant you just say screw it,if they aint paying you and go trapping or pump gas or flip burgers until they decide to pay you again?Surely they don't expect you to show up and work for no pay,or the promise of "work now and we'll pay you later,but we don't know when"?Can you apply for employment insurance benefits?

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 03:19 AM

Boco depends onnyour classification., excepted employes have to work. Law inforcement emergancy services thosectype folks. Where i work its the lead wrangler and lead maintenance guys have to work to ensure the health of the animals at the facility. I could get a side job or trap as for unemployment one can apply you can get it but if congress approves back pay then you have to pay it all back.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 03:28 AM

Surely they don't expect you to show up and work for no pay,or the promise of "work now and we'll pay you later,but we don't know when"?

Yep Boco, that is exactly what they expect, some employees are still working, but will not get paid until the the folks at the payroll office go back to work.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 03:31 AM

DoD is unaffected by this partial shutdown. I'll be at work tomorrow.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:03 AM

Don't know if my DoD gs-12 (?) brother is sitting at home on this one but he tells me the last few nobama ones he got back pay for his time off. He's non essential in more ways than one. This brother took five years to get his required two years experience to sit for his PE exam (civil engineer) because he kept getting fired. He's been a government employee now for ten years, imagine that.

JMO, but non essential means deadwood here in the private sector and here in the private sector I can't tell what we're missing with the shutdown. Maybe we ought to consider making it a regular thing.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:06 AM

In recent history has there ever been a shut down where people didn't get paid?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:07 AM

Son in law works for IRS, he's not working
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:17 AM

I still have to work, just don't get paid again till the nuts in DC quit squabbling and pass a budget. About the ONLY thing of importance congress does or needs to do and can't even do that! Tell me again why we keep electing and paying them?

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:21 AM

Rat i dont believe there has ever been a ahut down without back pay being given.

Warrior so your work had a full crew on Christmas and 24 7 all year. Lots of things not being done that affect things in the long term but not felt for awhile. Think cities tags no biggie now but if it the work doesn't get done then no bobcat trapping next year.
Posted By: grousehunter

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:25 AM

Pretty crappy vacation.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:29 AM

Here is the rub.

Essential federal employees must show up for work, but won't be paid until shutdown is over.

Non-essential federal employees are on what amounts to "paid vacation" until the shutdown is over.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:37 AM

Know what would take care of this quickly?

Lock all members of Congress and the President in their chambers/office until they get their jobs done that the taxer payers and sending them there to do.

These shut downs are just as embarrassing as when WI Dems fled to IL in 2010 because they didn't want to do their jobs.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:42 AM

Our government is so dysfunctional it borders on the insane, term limits would fix some of this.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Our government is so dysfunctional it borders on the insane, term limits would fix some of this.

The individual political parties could impose that on themselves like the Whig party did. The fact that they don't speaks volumes.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:15 AM

JMO, but non essential means deadwood here in the private sector and here in the private sector I can't tell what we're missing with the shutdown. Maybe we ought to consider making it a regular thing.

Yeah, I figured this would pop up, surprised it didn't come up sooner. I think the term "essential" probably should be replaced with "emergency/immediate need/safety" or some other term. Ok, let's follow Warrior's "dead wood" analogy and see what will happen if all the dead wood simply disappeared overnight.

No one to process AntiGov's SS claim when he decides to finally take it
No one to process Warrior's Medicare claims- I think that's mostly contracted out but fed contractors don't get paid in a shutdown either
No federal research of any kind (whether that's being done in house or selecting awardees of grants)- health, wildlife/fisheries, environment, earth sciences, etc
No one to operate or maintain national parks/monuments/historic sites/battlefields etc of any kind
No one to operate or maintain national wildlife refugees, national forests, national grasslands, etc
No one to operate/approve grazing or mineral leases on federal land
No one to determine & approve timber harvesting off of federal land (if they do much of that anymore)
No one to approve off-shore hydrocarbon extraction in national waters
No one to set inter-state hunting seasons, such as with waterfowl
No one to administer various agricultural and rural programs in all the counties of the U.S.
No one to process/issue U.S. passports (want to go to Canada on a hunting trip and don't have a passport already, tough ti**y)
No one to propose specs for new weapon systems for the military (not sure on that one--may be "essential")
No one to issue your mail-order bride a visa to come to the U.S.
etc, etc,, etc

But, hey, who's counting...

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed

Yeah, I figured this would pop up, surprised it didn't come up sooner. I think the term "essential" probably should be replaced with "emergency/immediate need/safety" or some other term. Ok, let's follow Warrior's "dead wood" analogy and see what will happen if all the dead wood simply disappeared overnight.

No one to process AntiGov's SS claim when he decides to finally take it delete social insecurity
No one to process Warrior's Medicare claims- I think that's mostly contracted out but fed contractors don't get paid in a shutdown either delete
No federal research of any kind (whether that's being done in house or selecting awardees of grants)- health, wildlife/fisheries, environment, earth sciences, etc delete and turn over to the states/private sector
No one to operate or maintain national parks/monuments/historic sites/battlefields etc of any kind return to states
No one to operate or maintain national wildlife refugees, national forests, national grasslands, etcreturn to states
No one to operate/approve grazing or mineral leases on federal land return to states
No one to determine & approve timber harvesting off of federal land (if they do much of that anymore) return to states
No one to approve off-shore hydrocarbon extraction in national waters return to states when in state waters
No one to set inter-state hunting seasons, such as with waterfowl return to a committee of states
No one to administer various agricultural and rural programs in all the counties of the U.S.delete
No one to process/issue U.S. passports (want to go to Canada on a hunting trip and don't have a passport already, tough ti**y) state issued passports
No one to propose specs for new weapon systems for the military (not sure on that one--may be "essential") remains federal as per the Constitution/the citizenry retains the same ability as per the Constitution
etc, etc,, etc BUILD THE DAM WALL

Fixed it for ya

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:40 AM

Don't forget there would be no one to insure safe food medicine or water quality. But thats all good too

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:41 AM

Sure, Warrior, no problem. Enjoy your fantasies.

BTW- You're not taking any SS or Medicare when you're eligible...?

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:43 AM

Don't plan on it.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Don't forget there would be no one to insure safe food medicine or water quality. But thats all good too

We survived for a century and and half without "govt help". Food was cheap and water was free, imagine that.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:46 AM

Sure, Warrior, no problem. Enjoy your fantasies.

BTW- You're not taking any SS or Medicare when you're eligible...?

He only hunts fishes and traps private ground too.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:50 AM

Don't plan on it.

You are a true stud. Don't need anyone but yourself and your state gov peeps. Carry on.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:53 AM

Yes, I do.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:58 AM

Let us get a dose of reality, in non essentials take America back from the nanny state to a period around 1900 and before, and the nation and people survived. In the last shutdown 9% of IRS employees still showed up for work What a novel idea in government employees actually still can show up for their jobs, just like the 450,000 who will be required to appear for work, but not be paid until later.
As the IRS seems to be able to suck it up and not go fetal in around 10,000 dedicated public servants still working, then the reality is there appears to not be any statute which forbids public servants from still performing their jobs. That reality is never made a point of, as that would mean those who want to keep spending money and buying votes, would lose all of their leverage and the victim card would be lost.
Agencies are counseled to consult legal counsel and employees Human Resources on these issues.

OPM
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by nvwrangler

We survived for a century and and half without "govt help". Food was cheap and water was free, imagine that.

*****How dare you imply people can get along without the government.*****
Posted By: Marty

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 08:02 AM

All I need to do is look at a work crew from the local governments to see that I do 3x the work as any one member of that crew, for the most part as there are exceptions to everything. I would imagine the # of not needed at all federal workers is huge. I am currently doing a large remodel project for a woman who was very high up in the state human resource dept. She cannot make and stick to a decision to save her life, absolutely no common sense at all to boot. That she was so high up in human resource admin while working for the state is hard to believe...I am sure lots of sub par workers are on the government payrolls. Imagine how many agencies and departments we could all live without.

The term 'non essential' worker is something to consider in itself when you think about the national debt and the fact that none of it is being/has been/is planned to be.... paid off.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 09:46 AM

no plans to even pay it down marty. to much money to be made from military contracts, welfare and other subsidies. you should quit talking about it, get back to work and pay your taxes. end of the quarter is only a few days away.
Posted By: Trapper 4 Life

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 12:57 PM

I work for the Conservation District but housed by NRCS. In my experience when the government shuts down I have to move all my materials back up to the district and can't do any work related to NRCS (big pain in the butt). Pay doesn't affect me but it does for NRCS.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 01:16 PM

If only Congress could make children and the elderly suffer terribly from shutdown. That would
teach those dang citizens a lesson not soon forgotten.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 01:21 PM

My agency has put out guidance that if you had scheduled vacation for this period you are now leave without pay. The last time this happened LWOP was not refunded, and the leave was not restored. We are all excepted too.

It it not a vacation when you aren’t being paid.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:27 PM

As a Fed LEO, I have to show up for work. When I get paid, is anyone's guess. I told the wife to be prepared for it to be a while, and we prepared in advanced. But the possibility of missing a paycheck while still being required to go to work sucks! Just as an FYI, If there is no agreement by next week, we will miss a paycheck.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:49 PM

I thought the POTUS said that those working with out pay told him they were happy to do so?? Build that Wall!! The ones complaining were just liberals and democrats trying to stall the wall?
When the air traffic controllers union went on strike, Ragen fired them all..Showed them who is in charge..If a big business decides to lock out workers no pay asking for concessions. Everyone gets their undies in a bundle things get done. If the government is shut down I say shut it down.. Unpaid should be unpaid and those still working should grow a pair and walk out. No pay don't stay.. Sort out the true Americans from the riff-raff...Then we'd find out who the real essential or nonessential are.
It's all so simple!

Mac
Posted By: Rat Trapper Sr.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 02:54 PM

The DEMS don't care about us! So come 2020 don't vote for 'em.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:41 PM

This will be a great missed opportunity to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 04:56 PM

No one to process AntiGov's SS claim when he decides to finally take it
No one to process Warrior's Medicare claims- I think that's mostly contracted out but fed contractors don't get paid in a shutdown either
No federal research of any kind (whether that's being done in house or selecting awardees of grants)- health, wildlife/fisheries, environment, earth sciences, etc
No one to operate or maintain national parks/monuments/historic sites/battlefields etc of any kind
No one to operate or maintain national wildlife refugees, national forests, national grasslands, etc
No one to operate/approve grazing or mineral leases on federal land
No one to determine & approve timber harvesting off of federal land (if they do much of that anymore)
No one to approve off-shore hydrocarbon extraction in national waters
No one to set inter-state hunting seasons, such as with waterfowl
No one to administer various agricultural and rural programs in all the counties of the U.S.
No one to process/issue U.S. passports (want to go to Canada on a hunting trip and don't have a passport already, tough ti**y)
No one to propose specs for new weapon systems for the military (not sure on that one--may be "essential")
etc, etc,, etc

The USA, a shinning beacon of freedom and capitalism that all the world can emulate.
frown
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:21 PM

I work seasonal for the National Park Service and everybody gets their back pay,since federal employees get paid every 2 weeks,and these shutdowns don't last that long it really isn't that big of a deal.The shutdown of 2012(?) was a big farce.I'm not saying this because I was no Obama fan but the tactics used to close sections of parks down was nothing but one huge publicity stunt and the news media ran with it.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:33 PM

Non-essential in the NPS generally means the field help,parks in the northern states have shut down operations and projects for the year with the exception of trail grooming for cross country skiers and snowmobilers.I honestly cannot recall administration within the NPS being laid off(didn't say it didn't happen,but I know they didn't get laid off to the same degree that maintenance did).Law Enforcement was kept on.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:39 PM

Government shut down aren't shut downs. Just like every other phrase that emanates from Washington, it's a lie. The pompus morons actually think the average American gives a two rat turds about it. Not even something as simple as a shutdown is actually what is going on. As Jonny Cash sang, What Is Truth?
I mean, if the political point was to make Americans uncomfortable about a 'shutdown' wouldn't it make sense to actually shut it down? It's almost like they exist in a parallel universe.
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by star flakes

Star Flakes,

Thanks for the OPM link..... That's ALL I was looking for.

It sure doesn't take much to have a thread get hijacked and go South. I posted this thread to find out what is actually happening with the fed workers and if they'll get back pay. Our mail lady starts at 8:00 A.M., throwing mail at the P.O. For her route. She runs 2 routes because there are not enough carriers to deliver. The P.O. Employment Want Ad is on line, but nobody replies. Must not be enough incentive to work for the USA gov. Decent pay and retirement???????

There's a statement at the top of this forum that says. "No Politics", yet within a matter of a few responses, there's talk about Dems, the past president, personal attacks on federal workers.

I'm 76 years old and follow the words of old #43, God rest his soul.......... "Im not on the Left, I'm not on the Right...... I don't even know if I've got a dog in this fight"! Just looking for info.

I love learning about "trap smithing", new fur handling techniques, and stories/pics from trappers in other states. I have made some great friends on this site and hope to continue doing so.

Before I get called a "drama llama", or told I shouldn't "hold my breath until somebody agrees with me", I'm not here for either one of this reasons....... By the way, I taught high school kids for 44 years, so I'm really used to "Holding my breath"!
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 06:09 PM

So the people working payroll are non-essential?

There are still taxes being taken out of my check... Are the people who process incoming revenue non-essential too?

Mike
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 12/28/18 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

There are still taxes being taken out of my check... Are the people who process incoming revenue non-essential too?

Mike

They've probably been replaced by automation. If every citizen were compelled to go to the local tax house and pay in cash bi weekly or monthly as they were paid for what they earned, taxes would be a lot less than they are now.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 01:50 PM

Just finished a full week of busting my butt at the VA hospital and will be back there on Monday as will the rest of the staff. Operations as usual.
Posted By: charles

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 02:20 PM

My USCG pension was deposited ontime. Since our Active members serve under the Homeland Security, I was uncertain when retirememt payments would come. Maybe DOD handles retirememt systems.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by FlyinFinn
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

They've probably been replaced by automation. If every citizen were compelled to go to the local tax house and pay in cash bi weekly or monthly as they were paid for what they earned, taxes would be a lot less than they are now.

If I had one wish regarding legislation, it would be to remove tax withholding...every citizen would be required to pay their taxes quarterly, to support the level of government they voted for.

THAT, my Friends, would be the quickest ticket to increased Individual Freedom!
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 02:26 PM

I was told once to remember where my pay check came from when I took a govt job. The "people" chose a non politician for President! We did that for a reason. That reason is more important than any govt workers pay check!

In all reality, we could could cut the govt to 1/3 it's size and America would do nothing but be better off.

We have corrupt politicians holding you "nonessential" govt employees hostage via shutdown. In an effort to turn you and those around you against our president. So that they can continue to let drugs, sex trafficking, and votes flood our country. The constitutional republic we enjoy right now will be over in 20 years if we allow that to continue! They (Democrat) just regained control of house and are already writing legislation that would end our electoral.

This is a war for our nation. It's being fought up there on that hill politically. Let's keep the war there instead of our back yards.

War is tuff! I'm ok with you loosing your govt job instead of a revolution on the streets.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 02:30 PM

Charles you are correct. Retirement comes fromDFAS I think. Thankfully not the same as Active Duty folks.

I’m getting No Pay Due. Not good. Mortgage, Tuition, and the rest don’t want some letter- they want the funds. I have already sold some guns to generate cash. Traps may be next.

Morale is pretty low where I work, and I’d bet that 9 out of every 10 there supported leadership in the last election. It isn’t political, just the reality of working without pay. We are prohibited from second jobs, even in a shutdown!
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 02:46 PM

There are alot of job openings. They simply don't pay double like the federal goverment does.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jasonv
Just finished a full week of busting my butt at the VA hospital and will be back there on Monday as will the rest of the staff. Operations as usual.

We had to turn in our keys to the building and phones. We are essentially locked out.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 03:26 PM

What's it called when you are forced to go to work every day and not be told when, or if, you'll be paid?

What is it you do and how much do you make auntiegov?
If one is self-employed and takes a cent of under-the table money, he is as much a leech as anyone and is uscking from the money paid byy those of us who follow the law. wink

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by fix it mike
There are alot of job openings. They simply don't pay double like the federal goverment does.

If that were true we would be able to hire staff at the VA.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 08:54 PM

It's funny to hear some uniformed people complain about federal employees being over paid.

I know many who work or did work for the federal gov. Most earned or earn 30k to 55k and pay a big chunk toward the healthcare coverage. In today's America I'd hate to try raising a family on that.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 09:07 PM

I'm proud of our Federal public servants sacrificing so bravely to better the USA. A big thank you for your sacrifice! I bet most of my servants will turn down that pay for not working to help reduce the National Debt.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 09:31 PM

I'm sure you would, dirt. -fine american
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 09:36 PM

Yep..Apparently New Mexico is the second most state impacted by the shutdown..I really didn't know it is such a welfare state..that needs the federal government to make it survive

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 09:52 PM

And how 'bout the sailors and marines and the like? Just about every federal employee I know is a veteran.
Stop to think about it and those guys have been paid by us taxpyers since they left high school.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/05/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I'm proud of our Federal public servants sacrificing so bravely to better the USA. A big thank you for your sacrifice! I bet most of my servants will turn down that pay for not working to help reduce the National Debt.

I find it funny that some people are bagging on federal employees yet during the summer when fires rage throughout the West the federal fire fighters are the best thing since chain drowners. Interesting!
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 12:05 AM

I know many who work or did work for the federal gov. Most earned or earn 30k to 55k and pay a big chunk toward the healthcare coverage. In today's America I'd hate to try raising a family on that.

Millions do and pay taxes too! crazy

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota

I believe as a single adult I pay more than my fair share. I take home less than 50% of my gross.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Dirt

I find it funny that some people are bagging on federal employees yet during the summer when fires rage throughout the West the federal fire fighters are the best thing since chain drowners. Interesting!

Yes, I am just as proud of those Federal employees for their sacrifice, as I am of the Federal employees that manage those lands so they burn so well.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 01:16 AM

I believe as a single adult I pay more than my fair share. I take home less than 50% of my gross.

Must be in a crazy high bracket to be taxed at 50%.
I do OK and don't get nearly that amount withheld. Even making $500k in earned income is "only) taxed at 37%.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 01:29 AM

It is a bad situation and I fell bad for those who are not getting the pay they expected to get, I wish the swamp could be drained. But it don't look like that is possible.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 12:18 PM

And do you think those millions are rich? Maybe we should be hating on all of them-they got it too easy.

Many of these people are going to work everyday and don't know when they'll be paid.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 12:39 PM

Marty trump is part of the swamp. I voted for him knowing that the only way to be in the construction business in NYC is to be on a first name basis with mafia bosses. I never expected the wall to be funded by mexico or corruption in DC to be rooted out. What I hoped for was a jump in the economy and employment and judges who don't think I ought to be disarmed. We got that and now we have gridlock. Im fine with that and hope it lasts awhile.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 12:50 PM

Cheer up Marty. Things are better under Trump than they were under B.O.
Caught this cat yesterday in one of those sleepy creek longsprings I bought from you.

[Linked Image]

Sons youngest daughter had her first birthday yesterday. We had cake and ice cream here. Made it an even better day. He's here now clattering around in the kitchen. I suspect him and a bottle of bourbon were up late last night. I had to call and wake him up. Time to go see what I'm going to skin today. Life is good I don't think we are headed over a cliff.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 02:12 PM

Yep..Apparently Government shutdowns are fairly common..If I was a federal worker today I would be looking for a job in a different sector of the US of A. Kinda like making lemonaide out of lemons..If I'm looking at what's going on correctly..any funding that will be signed into law is always temporary..like 3 months 6 months..So just drag up on them...LOL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 02:19 PM

If I were to take a federal job, I would know shutdowns could occur. I would attempt to save and plan accordingly for such situations.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
If I were to take a federal job, I would know shutdowns could occur. I would attempt to save and plan accordingly for such situations.

A lot of us do, my wife and I saw the writing on the wall and put back a bit. I'm fortunate in the fact that my wife is not employed by the Feds, so we have her check coming in. But, I know of many who are single income families, or have to take expensive medication, etc. There are several I work with, who both husband and wife work for the feds. Everyone is going to have an opinion on the situation and the workers should do, and that is OK!

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 03:29 PM

Yep...I was just reading..apparently a lot of federal employees are in unions..If this is true I'm now wondering why these unions have not called for all of it's members to "Stand Down" in support of their brothers and sisters that are in distress..Maybe just maybe everything could be taken care of by this afternoon..So the power shifts to the people..
Posted By: danvee

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 05:05 PM

The shut down is a joke the only people it is really hurting is a few federal employees that are without checks for awhile. Shut down the government I mean no mail, no social security, no medicare. no retirement checks for the retired congress, senate or presidents. Boarder security, TSA walk and military walk away. Maybe then Trump and our representatives would get something done, its just a joke right now and we are the laughing stock of the world for a wall. Im glad I got traps to check it is the only thing that helps me keep my sanity.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 05:15 PM

Yep...I agree shut it all down...right now TODAY..."Power To The People"...Everyone stay home Day 1..Nothing done...Day 2 stay home..Nothing done..stay home...Heard the TSA screeners are already doing it
Posted By: Hal

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chamacat
"Power To The People"

"Smash the State"
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl

And do you think those millions are rich? Maybe we should be hating on all of them-they got it too easy.

Many of these people are going to work everyday and don't know when they'll be paid.

Every year this occurs to the self employed. Since this is a trapping forum I'll give an example.

Last year I went to work every day for about 12 weeks or so in my trapping business. I had a rough idea what my end product would be worth when I shipped it to Auction. My first payday was less than expected and came about 3 months after I worked. The next paycheck was just as bad and came 6 months after I worked. Still waiting for that maybe last half value paycheck that will be 15 months after I worked. I don't know when I will be paid or how much, but I bet my public servants will come out better than I do.
smile

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 05:54 PM

Yep..Hal can you ride a horse?..You can be the leader "Hal Wallace"...LOL
Posted By: Hal

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 06:16 PM

But I'm plumb out of blue paint.

"Free John Now!"
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 06:28 PM

Then figure in sales tax, property tax, gas tax, vehicle tax, real estate tax. Cortex has a plan for you!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 06:29 PM

As Obama said, "you didn't earn that."!

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 07:42 PM

Dems want a 70% fed tax hike....they are going all in the next two years.

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 07:56 PM

Yep..Apparently Government shutdowns are fairly common..If I was a federal worker today I would be looking for a job in a different sector of the US of A. Kinda like making lemonaide out of lemons..If I'm looking at what's going on correctly..any funding that will be signed into law is always temporary..like 3 months 6 months..So just drag up on them...LOL

Chamacat- Your "fairly common" must have wide windows. I've been either a contractor or fed for 17 years and I think there have been about 5 "lapses of appropriations" but only two of any length, Oct 2013 and now this one. The current one will be the 2nd longest in history as of Tuesday or Weds. The longest one was a stand-off between Clinton and Gingrich back in '95 (?) that went 31 days.

My gov job falls into the "quaternary" sector of the economy and is fairly specialized. I'm sure I could find work switching over to a NGO or even start my own consulting business but many NGOs have "agendas" and I prefer that my "product" be as objective as possible because in the end it belongs to the "people". This storm will pass and my colleagues and I will get back to work. 2019 was going to be a "big" year for my particular group. We will have to push harder to fulfill those plans...

https://www.thoughtco.com/sectors-of-the-economy-1435795

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 08:19 PM

Yep..I didn't know about the sectors My gig is in the secondary sector..I didn't realize how few of us there is like 15 percent..As far as the shutdowns goes..It's only a matter of time when this one ends and the next one starts. IMO..And thanks Non PC Fed..You must have a very interesting job in your sector..

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chamacat

"The Public Workplace Sector
The public workplace sector is the portion of the economy that falls under the control and guidance of local, state, and federal government. Think about it this way: If the government is responsible for financing the department or organization, such as through collecting taxes or fees, it is a public workplace sector."

" The Private Workplace Sector
The private workplace sector, on the other hand, are businesses and organizations financed and controlled by individuals or private companies. Consider this: When you enter a shopping mall or visit a local store owned by family friends, you are contributing to the private sector. Your dollars help support the business and its owners, as opposed to funding public services. "

Wild arse guess, but I believe the above differences are what you were suggesting?

Re: Any Federal Workers Out There? - 01/06/19 09:10 PM

Yep..That is what I was suggesting moving from the public sector to the privite sector..I realize that the privite sectors has it's own issues..I would think one would have alittle more stability in the privite sector..Then again I may have the whole issue wrong after reading NonPCfed's..link about the sectors of economy's in government..both privite and public seemed to be lumped into whatever sector you fall in..I'm starting to think anything at anytime can effect a person(s) at any given day..either in their control or out of their control..I think one would have to ask themselves where they feel the most stability is...FWIW
© 2024 Trapperman Forums