Home

Educate me about Wisconsin

Posted By: nvwrangler

Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 08:36 PM

There is a job opening in Milwaukee that I'm thinking about. How far out do I need to go to be in the country/rural area?
Gun laws? Hunting fishing info thoughts? Cost of living?
This would be where I'd have to spend 10 years or so till I retire.

Nevada or Wisconsin?
Posted By: white17

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 08:38 PM

Wyoming

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 08:40 PM

White I would live there in a heart beat but there's no jobs there for me that would be a step up

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 08:44 PM

I hear ya !!
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 09:19 PM

Milwaukee - a huge urban area but quality hunting is not that far away. A friend used to live in Meqon and hunted Geese everyday in the fall and killed some big bucks. Lake Michigan has quality fishing for salmon and trout.

WI has a lot of public hunting grounds within a reasonable distance.

Brian
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/16/18 09:23 PM

Wisconsin bobcats suck when compared to Nevada bobcats. Central cats vs heavy western cats. If that is important to you.

Plus you have to apply for a bobcat tag. Point system and all that.

On the upside - Wisconsin does have a lot of five dollar Raccoon. LOL
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 01:34 AM

The greater Milwaukee urban area is about 2 million of the 5.5 million citizens in WI. That is about a 5 county area. There is still considerable open areas within these urban settings. The higher cost areas around Milwaukee are in these more rural areas as the commuters live in these areas. The terrain is very diverse with glaciation there is a lot of undulating topography with woods, fields and lowland wetland areas.
Due to the large amount of urban, suburban or city areas there is a surprisingly high population of most wildlife as there are many safe havens for them. If you found a 30 minute commute to downtown Milwaukee you would not be very far from several opportunities. There are some state hunting lands near by but knocking on doors to get permissions on private land would be your best bet and there are many others that have done that already.
The southern unit of the Kettle Moraine is straight west of Milwaukee and the northern unit is about 50 miles north and west. Compared to Nevada? I know little to nothing about Nevada.

Bryce
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 01:39 AM

Wisconsin has a lot of cheese and beer. When you get tired of cheese and beer you can switch to beer and cheese.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 01:41 AM

P.S. Packer football is a recognized religion in WI. Don't blaspheme the packers. Probably safer to slap a grizzly bear
Posted By: waggler

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 01:42 AM

Is it really worth it to you spend 10 good years of your life in a place you don't want to be just to bump up your retirement a bit?

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 02:17 AM

X 10,000

I can't imagine moving east once you've seen the West !

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Is it really worth it to you spend 10 good years of your life in a place you don't want to be just to bump up your retirement a bit?

Ha. Sensei that is the question. Does one trade comfort and enjoyment for dollars and maybe greater freedom in the future? Not sure that I could make this pay for it self in the terms of joy and happiness.

I'm trying to make sure that when I retire I can be dept free and have enough to spend serious time fishing and hunting in the last frontier.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 02:27 AM

I'd rather eat dirt in Alaska than steaks in WI.

Remember the summers have humidity. Something you don't have in NV. I nearly died in Kalamazoo a couple years ago.....in fact I thought I had died and gone to Hades !
Posted By: corky

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 02:32 AM

I escaped Milwaukee and retired 250 miles north, not quite far enough. Things to consider are long cold winters and high taxes compared to where you are at.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by white17
X 10,000

I can't imagine moving east once you've seen the West !

X2
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by corky
I escaped Milwaukee and retired 250 miles north, not quite far enough. Things to consider are long cold winters and high taxes compared to where you are at.

Winters can be VERY long AND COLD. Many time it is considerably warmer in my freezer than it is outside. But on the flip side of that is no mosquitoes for 5-6 month's of the year....
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/17/18 03:11 AM

My son and his wife lived there while she was getting her masters and both couldn't wait to get back home to Nevada.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 02:34 AM

Home of the Brewers, a big draw

Seriously though, hard to beat Wi. We have a little of everything in this state. A very diverse state in a lot of ways. Plus the Wi Trappers Association has to be 1 of the best associations in the country. That said, I don't know many people that would want to hang out in Milwaukee County.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 02:58 AM

Home of Cheeze and Ed Gein.
Big plus though is youll be Close to paradise(Canada)
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:05 AM

This state sucks for a trapper especially in the north, not many beaver not many muskrat, 8-10 years for a
Bobcat tag 2-3 years for a fisher tag all at a cost. Only 1 otter tag no badger tags, crappy coni laws, no snares allowed, actually a Sportsmans nightmare. But by all means move on in and join the crowd.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:10 AM

If you move to Wisconsin, you should be able to pick up your informational packet, "How to hate the DNR and complain about everything" when you cross the border. If not, let me know and I'll send ya one.

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life and expect to live here until I die. So I can't say how it compares to Nevada, but I sure love it here.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:32 AM

Yes, tlguy, I can't see living anywhere else.
Plenty of opportunity for just about everything here in western Wi.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:41 AM

Not trying to be a negative nelly but the game laws are rediculas. I will also probably live
Up here in the country until I die but I've travelled to several other states over the years for trapping and
This is one of the worst. This part of the state is beautiful and has a lot of attractions but with that comes
People from the big cites. Green Bay Milwaukee Madison! Anyhow back to your original post. I think
Southern Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee is very nice and has a lot to offer but the commute and pricing
Of homes on acreage may be the downfall. Lots of good fishing on the rivers along Lake Michigan.
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:51 AM

Eh I've been to both states. I'd choose NV
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:05 AM

One of the best places on planet earth.

Love going to town in Milwaukee, getting lost in the driftless region. The Fox Valley feels tee most stereotypical Sconie, the Wisconsin River towns are great (that's where YouTube guy Sam Wood traps) Way Claire and the Chippewa valley feels like stepiping back in time and NW Wisconsin with the Namekagon River is fun to explore and great bear country. My favorite (bias) is Northeast WI and the Nicolet Forest, cant tell the difference between us and the Upers.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
If you move to Wisconsin, you should be able to pick up your informational packet, "How to hate the DNR and complain about everything" when you cross the border. If not, let me know and I'll send ya one.

Its either complain about the DNR or the weather. I'm actually interested in the new guy. Has a forestry background.
Posted By: WiscoNate

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:20 AM

Wisconsin is pretty decent overall, though I personally try to avoid Milwaukee. Madison isn't a bad place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there again. It's like the San Francisco of the Midwest. For me, the farther north I go in Wisconsin the sunnier my disposition.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:24 AM

I don't even like visiting Madison.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:29 AM

You are moving from Nevada personal income tax to Wisconsin personal income tax at 6.26 percent.
Concealed carry permits, reciprocal with other states.
Wolf hugger state with the DNR targeting two legged varieties as the problem.
You have a democratic governor, a GOP congress, and liberal courts, with a massive state debt that you will have to pay for. Wisconsin is not imploding as bad as Nevada is, but continues to import Visa workers to sell things to which is the regional past time led by Minnesota.
Wisconsin is wet cold, and if you do not comprehend winter in all it's forms, you will be educated as to why they all dress like Yukon Cornelius.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
I don't even like visiting Madison.

+1
I have to go once a quarter and I try to get in and out ASAP.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 06:16 AM

I have a Daughter that lives in Nv.
I have spent some time there, southern part , near Vegas.
I'm always glad to leave NV and come home to WI.

In my mind there is no comparison, So. NV sucks, dirty brown vs WI green.
No comparison for fishing, Wi has NV beat.
Hunting, We have different game than NV, and more variety I'd guess, Lots of Ducks, Geese, Grouse, Woodcock, Rabbit, Squirrel, Deer, Bear.
Lots more game/square mile I'd bet in WI.

NV is too dry and sparse, WI is lush and green.

That said Milwaukee is the worst part of the state, typical urban area.
But an hour a way there is good hunting and fishing.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 09:45 AM

It depends what you’re looking for, as mentioned we do not have the best trapping regulations on a comparative scale to many other states on certain target animals. Hunting and fishing opportunities are endless, world class whitetail deer hunting, black bear (pt system) musky, smallmouth, walleyes and Lake Michigan fishing for trout & salmon. Within, 40 miles of downtown Milwaukee or less you’re in rural areas that offers a lot of public hunting opportunities and many local lakes. Beyond hunting, trapping and fishing you will experience midwestern work ethic and values and great school systems. The winters don’t seem long if you enjoy the outdoors. In the past, I always struggled to recruit people from out of state to relocate to Wisconsin for jobs, the vast majority of those individuals never leave once they’re here. I’ve traveled and worked in most every state and several countries- proud to call Wisconsin my home.
Posted By: run

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 10:19 AM

My dad was born in Wisconsin. I understand that the soil is amazing. The deer are plentiful around Richland Center.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 10:44 AM

Milwaukee is part of the Chicago urban mess. Its like southern CA. One huge city. Hard to tell, even impossible sometimes, when you leave one city for another. All the way round the lake into IL IN and up into MI. One giant urban sprawl. I personally always liked going to WI. Not Milwaukee though.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 11:02 AM

heres a tip for anybody crossing between wi and il on 94. avoid the tolls. take hwy 41. there are a few lights but all in all a good road. adds about 20 minutes to the trip but no tolls. in heavy traffic time is about the same
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 11:20 AM

I don't go near Milwaukee.
Posted By: DadN3Boyz

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 12:17 PM

I live in Waukesha, which is west of Milwaukee. It is a 15 - 20 minute drive for me to get to the shores of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee. Hwy 94 takes you into the city. They have done quite a bit of construction to widen it and make the commute less painful. But during rush hour it is still a cluster. I grew up in Milwaukee. I also had family property in the northern part of the state, which I spent quite a bit of my youth at. Milwaukee has its good areas and bad areas like any other city. There are some areas you take your life in your hands just driving through. Then there are areas that are very neat and nice to visit. Ideally you would work in the city but live west out in the suburbs (New Berlin, Brookfield, Waukesha) and just try to time your commute a half hour before / after main rush hour, then it wouldn't be bad.

SE Wisconsin has: Lake Michigan Salmon/Trout, Inland lakes, hunting/trapping opportunities a bit west. Then you have the rest of the state. Within 4 hours you have beautiful country, along with Door County and Lake Superior. Wisconsin really has everything. Yes the thick hunting/fishing/trapping regulations the DNR puts out is a head scratcher. But, if you have the ability to earn serious bank, and are a serious outdoorsman, you can work with what we have and have an enjoyable time.

I have friends and relatives that grew up in the Northern part of the state, that had to live closer to Milwaukee for employment. They didn't last long. They moved back north after 3 - 5 years. They missed what they had and found employment back up north. With me being able to grow up in both the North and Milwaukee I have a unique perspective. The one thing I learned is that where you want to live, there is not much for employment opportunities and where the employment is, is not where you want to live. Many people work near the city and retire in the north.

Weather is something to contend with, but it is all in how you approach it. Winter you have Ice fishing, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, skiing, etc. Dress appropriately and all is good, otherwise you are complaining. A move from Nevada to Wisconsin will be a big change in more ways than one. Heck, many people from Wisconsin move to Nevada to escape the weather.

All boils down to $ and mindset. You spend some time scouting and researching SE Wisconsin, you will find places to hunt, trap and fish.

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
. . crappy coni laws, no snares allowed, actually a Sportsmans nightmare. But by all means move on in and join the crowd.

Interesting. Please explain what part of the coni laws are crappy. One can snare beaver, but we don't have em on the ground so we don't kill dogs. Sportsman's nightmare? Why are you living here?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 12:59 PM

One of the more beautiful states I've been to. We go grouse hunting up there every fall. North central part. Tons of game lands to hunt. I don't think I'd like it when the freeze up comes in deep winter. It's hard to ubderstand the people a lot of times, but I'm sure they have the same problem with my southern dialect. Southern pRt driving up around Madison is nice with all the farms.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 01:47 PM

The further South you go in WI, the more things suck.

With Milwaukee and Madison being the epicenter of suckiness.

I lived down there when I first got out of college and it was a miserable existence.

So many of them are moving North too...and bringing the suckiness with them. They're not as bad as the FIB's...but close.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 02:16 PM

I believe Hemingway spent some time up that way on the Big Two-hearted (or was it the Fox) River...

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kre
. . . So many of them are moving North too...and bringing the suckiness with them . . .

So true Kre. The northwoods ain't the northwoods I knew as a kid. You've got the twin cities rich folks buying up property from the west and the Chicago rich folks buying it up from the south.

There really aren't many of the regular folks moving north, not enough jobs up there.

Unfortunately, every state has epicenters of suckiness. If you're gainfully employed, feel lucky. Could be worse. The northwoods could attract many, many more if there were good paying jobs available.
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 02:44 PM

Just the thought of living south of Highway 29 gives me a sick feeling. lol. My sister lived near Milwaukee and said she would see coyotes in the middle of the day walking and mousing out in fields. I know there are opportunities down there but a guy would have to put in a little work to access the land.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kre

So many of them are moving North too...and bringing the suckiness with them. They're not as bad as the FIB's...but close.

WOW!! Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I'd rather eat dirt in Alaska than steaks in WI.

Remember the summers have humidity. Something you don't have in NV. I nearly died in Kalamazoo a couple years ago.....in fact I thought I had died and gone to Hades !

Wisconsin has cheese and beer farts. Nevada has everything else good in life.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 05:50 PM

I did not know if I would throw in on this but I have lived west of Milwaukee for 63 years so I think I know the area. Started to trap more last year when I retired, go back 30 years when I last trapped hard and it was a lot different. Farms were owned by guys who farmed, now a lot of land is an absentee owner who wants to deer hunt and says stay off because you will scare the deer. Fifteen farms I used to trap have a subdivision on them, still fur on them but not worth the hassles. As a teen I hunted from the back door 30 miles west of Milwaukee, now you better have a half million to buy your place if you want to do that. I am not saying it can't be done, but not like 50 years ago. I commuted to Milwaukee for a job 20 some years before retiring, told my brother I would rather live on nothing than go back to that work life for $100,000 a year. Started to hunt the west in the 80's, WY, UT, NM, CO and would have moved west except for family here. The chance to hunt all day in one direction and not have to ask about where you can go is not found in southeast WI. I live in a subdivision I trapped on the farm as a boy, when you could see 20 pheasants on the opener, across the street from where I grew up, did not get far from home. Bought land from the farmer I worked for as teen, 30 acres 25 years ago, kill deer on it every year, the people in the subdivision can watch me while I hunt deer, it is what it is, not what you call rural. I did make some money here over the years, but you will trade something for the dollars if you leave NV, so that is your call.
Posted By: Nick C

Re: Educate me about Wisconsin - 12/20/18 05:57 PM

You’re crazy to even consider leaving Nevada for the Midwest!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums