Home

ONX HUNT App

Posted By: coykill

ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:30 PM

Is this App worth the $30.00 a year? How easy is it to use? I understand I would be able to download an area to my phone where there is no reception.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:35 PM

I use it often and its worth it to me, what counties are you trapping in the U.P
Would determine if it would be worth it to you or not. Some counties it shows the
Landowner property lines and the name of owners along with all public lands. Some
Counties it doesn't.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:35 PM

Yes it is worth the price in my way of thinking. You can down load a area when you have WiFi or cell reception and use it when and where you don't have reception. I also have a Garmin Oregon 450I just in case of dead batteries in one or the other.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:40 PM

Its worth it to me. I think it is easier to use on my smart phone than my GPS is and it has some great features. They are now putting the weather on the APP.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:48 PM

How big of an area does it load? Some of the area I trap out of state has no service and if it doesn't load a rather large chunk of land, it wouldn't be worth it!
Posted By: Hover-Lover

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:52 PM

I used the 1 week trial of On X during my kid's "youth only" elk hunt because the hunt area did not include the areas we normally hunt. It was very easy to use to find the open area (designated by fish and game) AND those area that were also public hunting grounds. I liked it so much, I bought the 1 year subscription for my state and have been using it for trapping. In fact, it even has a "trap" icon for marking trap locations. It has been very helpful when a buddy has marked a hot trapping location that I've never been to, then I can follow the moving map write to the spot and set on location.

Another thing to take advantage of: Steve Rinella is a spokesman / sponsored by On X. If you use "MEATEATER" promo code, you get a discount. Think my total was $23.00 for single state.

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 03:54 PM

I just did the 7 day free trial and it is not showing property owners names like a plat book. It isn't showing private or public land neither. I may not be doing something correct also.
Posted By: Hover-Lover

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by coykill
I just did the 7 day free trial and it is not showing property owners names like a plat book. It isn't showing private or public land neither. I may not be doing something correct also.

You can choose what you want displayed.

Go to "my layers", click on the drop down arrow by your state, choose what you want: private land, government land, wmu's, etc.
Posted By: mutt

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:18 PM

Check the map layers and make sure the public lands layer and land owner layer are turned on.
I have used it all fall. I use it 10x more than the navionics app I also have that is 10$ a year. I find it is like combining google maps, a plat book, and a handheld gps into 1 package. I think the only limiting factor to how much map area you download is the amount of data your phone can store. If you want high detail you will have to download smaller sections of your area and switch between them, or you can zoom out for less detail but more area.

If your county has a plat book, onx should be as up to date as the plat book. They claim they update on a 2-3 year cycle, with the most current data the county provides.

I have used it this year for northeast WI, manitowoc county, oconto county, marrinette county, forest county. All worked great for both private lands, and navigating areas of nicolette and chewamegon national forest. I downloaded sections of the n as time ok nal forest because my data service is spotty up there. It was great.

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:24 PM

Coykill, I have problems with it showing any information in Michigan also.
It may give you the option to turn it on but won't allow you too, let us know if that's
The case with yours also. Deff has some glitches that need to be worked on.
I did use it in South Dakota, Illinois, Missouri and wi with no problems.
Did not work in Colorado or Michigan very well
Posted By: tlguy

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:30 PM

Can the app be used to find a specific GPS coordinates on a lake? A buddy shared some ice fishing spots that if a guy is off by too much, the fish aren't there. I'd like to be able to punch in a latitude/longitude and land on the spot.

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:33 PM

Ti guy yes you can, he can share through app or you can punch in coordinates.
Posted By: mauser06

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 04:43 PM

It has different download options for sizes. I think the highest quality does 5sqmi at a time and it loads from my wifi fairly quick. A minute or 2? I didn't really pay attention but I didn't think it was bad.

I have a Garmin GPS. But got OnX this year for aerial imagry and as a backup.

If you don't have service, or limited service, put your phone on airplane mode if you don't need call/text. That'll save your battery. If you leave it on, your phone keeps looking for signal and eats through the battery quickly.

I have it on my phone for Pennsylvania and it seems to work well. Even on public lands, I felt like the border was very close to their marked border.

The app is limited by what is on record with the county. I bought my house exactly a year ago and it still shows the previous owner. Same with borders. They also say areas with lots of small parcels aren't as accurate as big chunks of ground. Kinda makes sense. Here properties are any which shape and size.

I definitely think it's worth the price. They have various promotion codes...search around. Thanksgiving weekend I got it for like $20. Wish it applied to the GPS chip...Id like a good GPS chip. I am still doing research and looking....right now, I just have a free topo download. It works. Garmins Birdseye worked...but downloading it and putting it on the card is difficult and takes a while. I wasn't happy with that system. Looks a long while to download a small area where I used to live.
Posted By: Sharpsman

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 06:18 PM

I am very happy with mine in Indiana.It has been very instrumental in aquireing new ground as when I see promising spots I can quickly find the owner and the tax address. Sometimes I luck out and it's owned by someone that has already gave me permission. I have probably picked up 2,000 acres this year

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 06:41 PM

Private lands and Gov. lands are on and it is not showing property names. That is the biggest thing I would like to have so I know where the state land and private land is at without carring a plat book with me.

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 07:22 PM

On went on onx hunt web site and chatted with someone and this area is not in there coverage area yet. He did not know when it would be here.
Posted By: mutt

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 08:35 PM

Did you try selecting the parcel you want to find the name of. On my phone if I tap and hold inside the red lines a box opens that shows the info
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/11/18 10:54 PM

Go here and you can create an account and get 7 days free trial without having to provide any credit card info or anything. You will be able to look at it on your computer and phone and see if its something you'd like to have when you are out on your line.

https://webmap.onxmaps.com/login.html

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/12/18 05:09 PM

I am not getting any red lines at all. They said this area is not covered. Wild Idaho I have the 7 day trial right now. 6 days remaining.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/12/18 09:10 PM

I use it in the UP while Grouse hunting. It doesn't show much private land up there. In the lower part of Michigan it works great and also Kentucky. It does work well when I down load areas and I do not have good service. I guess they just haven't gotten the UP private land ownership all plotted yet. I do like the satellite imagry.
Posted By: BORGY

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/13/18 12:23 AM

I really like it for the landowner info. I find it really helps for tracking down owners who may not live on a particular property. Plus it makes it easier to knock on the door for permission if you atleast have a name to address them with.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/13/18 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by coykill
Is this App worth the $30.00 a year? How easy is it to use? I understand I would be able to download an area to my phone where there is no reception.

Not sure about the phone app. But, do you live near Escanaba? Check out the movie "Escanaba in da moonlight"
Posted By: eedup

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/13/18 04:15 AM

The phone app didn't update the map quick enough when I got out in the sticks. It's more expensive but the onx chip for my Garmin works great.
Posted By: J. Rader

Re: ONX HUNT App - 12/14/18 12:57 AM

Been great for me. Using it for 3 years now. Lot of big state land here with small private parcels dotted inside of them.
Posted By: wmhctrapper

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 03:29 PM

Here's an article I did for Trapping Today. https://www.trappingtoday.com/onxmaps-a-trappers-perspective/.

Jeremiah does a good job on a few videos and podcasts break down how to use it.

You can download maps for offline use. I state hope so I use the multi state for 1
$100 or whatever. Smaller states you can download the entire state. Areas I'm in more and require a finer detail I use the 5 or 10 square miles. Some spots the 150 square miles is sufficient to get your bearing.

Trapping Today has a promo code TRAP for 20% off your first purchase. I like onx as a whole and while it's not perfect I use it every day on the trapline.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 03:38 PM

I use it here in Texas and like it. Some counties info is not there but most are. Has helped me find new clients several times.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 03:51 PM

Works great. I wouldn’t go afield without it. I also use it for reconnaissance when surveying. Beats a compass and a hip chain. Like previously said it’s only as good as your areas GIS mapping.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 04:04 PM

I don’t like auto renew requirements on any app. I like end dates because like some places will let you go past your end day then try to charge you even if you don’t renew your membership.

I have a 2 month trial from the NWTF I got for buying Federal ammo I’ll give it a shot that way.
Posted By: Squash

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 04:08 PM

They need to update their landownership info.. Many properties do not have current owner info..
Posted By: EdP

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 04:36 PM

The app is limited by what is on record with the county.

Actually the app is limited to what is available from the county in digital format. Every land transaction is recorded by the county but in some places the record is hard copy only, or the digital version is not available to the public. In that case, neither Onx or any of the similar services will have the data. For those counties with an on-line service, typically called "GIS," the data should be available.

I have Onx and find it very useful. Even in areas where I have service a pre-loaded map is an advantage in that it loads much faster.
Posted By: Born

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 05:46 PM

I don't think you can enter coordinates in app or at home. I think you have to scroll and save. If i am incorrect please explain how.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 06:31 PM

I have used it since the beginning and worked with them about the symbols.
For my business and personal use, everyday I rely on OnX on my phone and an iPad, the OnX chip in a Garmin Oregon, and a Garmin Montana with InReach to keep me informed and communicating.
I have used the OnX chip in the Garmin Oregon to successfully resolve a very serious landowner + trespasser + trapping dispute that involved the state game warden and the county sheriff.
Posted By: Squash

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
The app is limited by what is on record with the county.

Actually the app is limited to what is available from the county in digital format. Every land transaction is recorded by the county but in some places the record is hard copy only, or the digital version is not available to the public. In that case, neither Onx or any of the similar services will have the data. For those counties with an on-line service, typically called "GIS," the data should be available.

I have Onx and find it very useful. Even in areas where I have service a pre-loaded map is an advantage in that it loads much faster.

My county and the adjacent county are are on line with GIS and the OnX hunt data is still not up to date and hasn’t been for a couple of years.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 07:58 PM

I'll sign up when I cash in my 9 Antelope pref. Points in Wyoming
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Born
I don't think you can enter coordinates in app or at home. I think you have to scroll and save. If i am incorrect please explain how.

I haven’t found a way to enter or edit coordinates. I put my settings to decimal degrees on my computer and zoom in and move the cursor to the desired location. A pain in the butt. The way I look at is I’m using the app for something it wasn’t designed to do.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 09:51 PM

Just a reminder that most of these apps go off of tax maps registered with the county. Therefore the property lines are not always correct. My property lines are nowhere near correct on these apps.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I'll sign up when I cash in my 9 Antelope pref. Points in Wyoming

I have 2 codes for a month each I plan to fire one up for turkey season, seen a group of 15 gobblers today coming out from pulling a camera chip. Guy said no expiration date on the codes.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/04/22 11:20 PM

I use the offline maps quite often, especially out of state where I have no service in a lot of places. Another aspect of this app is if I have a cellular signal I can send my location or locations to someone for immediate use or future use. I’ve found a signal and sent it to my son for a pick up location. I believe I’ve even sent some to members on here about some turkey spots in a western state. All this person has to do is go to the spot sent. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s a great app. I went ahead and got the Elite membership and got some good deals on camo clothing and other outdoors products.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/05/22 12:21 AM

Very useful I use mine every week in the spring summer months for work,then when I'm able to go out of state hunting I use it there also.Well worth the cost.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/05/22 12:22 AM

I like Huntstand better.
$30.00 for the year and it covers the entire U.S.
Just another option to check out.

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/05/22 12:34 AM

With the chip in my Garmin I can just mark a way point but before I finish I change the coordinates to the ones I need then finish the process and it'll put the pin on my entered coordinates. If that makes sense, Idk if it'll work on the app on your phone .

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/05/22 12:35 AM

If I need to elaborate I can grab my etrex 20 and try to give you a step by step
Posted By: Bryce Traps

Re: ONX HUNT App - 02/05/22 05:35 PM

I like onXoffroad more because it shows almost every road that exists. But I don't have to worry about land ownership in Nevada. If I was anywhere else I'd probably have onXhunt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums