Home

Stolen Traps

Posted By: Snowpa

Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 07:09 PM

Got a younger guy stealing my traps ,got security cameras and have him on them .I have previously warned him. I believe his dad uses them ,these are stole from my property. Problem is he is big buds with a local warden who obviously wont believe it let alone pursue it. If I find another trap that's set of mine I will go over the existing wardens head. sound reasonable
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 07:13 PM

I wouldn't wait...

Do it now, but talk to the warden first...

If he does nothing, go over him...

But let him know that is your plan, after the fact...
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 07:23 PM

Theft is a legal issue call the sherif
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 07:23 PM

Could you make a report to the sheriff's office instead of the warden? Stolen property is stolen property. I say definitely go over the area warden's head if he doesn't pursue it. Threaten to take it to the media if you have to.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 07:26 PM

Also if you give evidence to warden and he doesn't due a thing, can't he be in trouble for dereliction of duty?
Posted By: 160user

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 08:42 PM

Nothing worse than a thief!
Posted By: Bob

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 08:58 PM

If you’ve got proof don’t wait. Call the sheriff. Theft is theft, wether it’s traps or cash it’s one and the same
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:04 PM

sounds like dad may be putting him up to it if dads using them. got enough thieves in the world without a dad teaching jr to be one. time to put a stop to it. if that warden really is ok with it i'd think you could get him fired with the proper documentation/evidence
Posted By: BORGY

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:07 PM

Yeah I would get on this right away. If the warden won't deal with it, get the sheriff on it.
Posted By: MIsparkz

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:15 PM

Last time I had stolen trap the warden (CO’s here) didn’t even want to know about it. They told me I had to go to the Sherrifs Dept and file a report. I found the idea they didn’t even care real comforting.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:35 PM

That would be a dream come true to have video evidence of a trap thief .
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by MIsparkz
Last time I had stolen trap the warden (CO’s here) didn’t even want to know about it. They told me I had to go to the Sherrifs Dept and file a report. I found the idea they didn’t even care real comforting.

Been my exact experience with them. Even calling the state dnr hotline they send you directly to local law enforcement.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:52 PM

I was just told by my local Warden that there is an "Activist" who told him he was planning on stealing every trap he can find to save the animals life's!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 09:58 PM

I would report it
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 10:20 PM

Call the County Sheriff and explain the problem or call a State Trooper Office if you think the CO will not follow through, if you have proof go to the local States Attorney and let him know your willing to go to the Attorney General if needed to get results.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 10:23 PM

Report it
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 10:32 PM

I have great rapport with law enforcement, but this type of crime appears to be low priority, comparatively speaking. I have not had good luck with follow through, with regards to theft, even with damning evidence. Good Luck!
Posted By: 653

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 10:38 PM

Just call sheriff theft is there jurisdiction anyway
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 11:02 PM

Call the sheriff, if he is giving them to his Dad maybe his Dad is in jeopardy too for receiving stolen goods.
Go scorched earth on the thief.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 11:18 PM

Contact those two who cover the area we have the winter meeting and they might come down and help you crucify the thief. I have talked to them about issues in the past.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 11:27 PM

don't give them the pic. give them a copy I did this one time an evidence was gone know body knows what happen too it
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/05/18 11:51 PM

Another warden can take the case if there's a conflict of interest. Best that way, under the circumstances (for all involved), anyhow.

Around here, I would just show up at the regional office and be upfront and explain the situation.... Where It can be assigned appropriately.

And bring your vids with you, of course.
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 03:07 AM

Tired of all this thieving start prosecuting them all and maybe they will get the message. So many persons now say it ain’t worth the hassle. Prosecute them. File charges, show the proof and make your local county attorney earn his pay.
Posted By: Silage

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 04:55 AM

Not sure of your posting laws or trespass laws but if you have proof of trespass you can also go after him that way. In ND trespassing is handled by sheriff.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 05:38 AM

Trap theft here is sheriff's job to check out
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 06:23 AM

Not sure how it works in your neck of the woods but here the "green suits" epo's can write much better citations that could greatly affect one's wallet, permits and licensing for hunting and trapping. If you have video, go to a different barrack and produce it to them. Or just trespass the individual and have him hooked on the spot next time he visits. Check laws but that may be an option. Buds or no buds
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
Call the sheriff, if he is giving them to his Dad maybe his Dad is in jeopardy too for receiving stolen goods.
Go scorched earth on the thief.

THIS ^^^^ dont let this slip away and not hit'em hard.
this is why when no one does anything ,things escalate to person to person payback.
Posted By: Ole

Re: Stolen Traps - 11/06/18 01:37 PM

Seems like a number of violations that could be pursued. Disturbing traps of another, trespass and stealing personal property. If your traps have a permanent identifying mark on them, then a search warrant for those traps would be in order. Getting a prosecutor to prepare a search warrant might be hard to do, but it might reveal some real interesting "incidental finds" on the property. I would go to the sheriff. It is a stolen property issue.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums