Home

Boosting fuel economy

Posted By: eastwood44mag

Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 12:26 PM

Other than a cold air intake, what else can I do myself to boost my fuel economy? Thanks.
Posted By: corky

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 12:45 PM

Inflate tires to maximum pressure. Vehicle will ride a little stiffer. Driving habits make a difference - slower, steady acceleration and coast to stops when practical.

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: corky
Inflate tires to maximum pressure. Vehicle will ride a little stiffer. Driving habits make a difference - slower, steady acceleration and coast to stops when practical.

Already do that.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:03 PM

Depending on what you are driving an aftermarket computer chip may or may not to available; and may or may not be effective.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:18 PM

I'd buy a Prius....... Lol

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Terrence j
I'd buy a Prius....... Lol

Have my daily already. This is just for my trapping truck
Posted By: adam m

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:45 PM

chip, tires, weight, lighter wheels. There's a lot more you can do
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:54 PM

A truck?
Worst vehicle type out there.
remove unnecessary weight. Just you use this truck, no passengers, remove passenger seats. Got any brush bumpers, roll bars other dead weight, get rid of it.
Improve aerodynamics, get rid of large mirrors, find some small passenger sized mirrors, again with roll bars brush bumpers etc.
Tires, Get rid of heavy tires/rims, unnecessarily wide/large tires.

Drive like an old man, coast to stop signs and feather the gas away, stop being in a hurry. This is the biggest improvement you can make. I always get significantly better gas mileage than people with the same vehicle cause I drive in what my wife calls "old man mode".

Seriously, if your concerned about what you spend on gas you should never buy a pickup, look at smaller more efficient vehicles.
Don't let your ego drive vehicle buying decisions.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 01:58 PM

slow down. cruise at 60. speed up gentle and slow down the same way. keep your front end aligned. don't change lanes. same tire pressure in each tire. change plugs twice as often as recommended.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 08:56 PM

I put oversize tires on my pickup and it really hurt the fuel economy.
Back to the hydrogen argument.............I gained 2 mpg by building and installing a simple hydrogen producing unit. It was a pain to keep messing with so I quit using it. Buck isn't here to argue hydrogen anymore!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 09:12 PM

Trap out of your Prius.

I've stuffed a lot of rats, coon, beaver and deer in the back of my Focus while my pickup sits in the driveway.

Trucks suck gas....Just is.

Embrace the suck.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 09:20 PM

Anyone ever try the cow magnets on they’er fuel line ?

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 10:04 PM

You can always go with a 4 banger 2WD.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 10:28 PM

Not sure what ur getting. My 2018 Silverado has the 5.3L and I’m getting 18.9 mpg. It’s not great but it’s better than the 13.5-14 I’d get with the 2004 Sierra and is a touch better than I’d get with my old S10. Having said that, they were paid for so...

The ideas listed above certainly help. No sense beating a dead horse.
Posted By: Fur Hanger

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: eastwood44mag
Other than a cold air intake, what else can I do myself to boost my fuel economy? Thanks.

Don't date fat chicks!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 10:43 PM

For safety reasons I would not put max air in the tires. JMO Get an old 4 cyc. take the driver seat out along with the back seat and cut into the trunk. Lots of space.

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Calvin
Trap out of your Prius.

I've stuffed a lot of rats, coon, beaver and deer in the back of my Focus while my pickup sits in the driveway.

Trucks suck gas....Just is.

Embrace the suck.

Suck is unavoidable. But it's a tiny tank, and I don't want to carry Jerry cans. Hence, why I asked a question that doesn't merit criticism.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 11:30 PM

A couple of people have mentioned getting a 4 cylinder. I had a 2013 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder. It got 20 miles per gallon. The oil change was at every 5,000 miles. Two years ago I bought a 2017 Tacoma. The 2017 is actually one size bigger than the 2013 was. This time I got a 6 cylinder for the extra power. Those 4 cylinders have to work too hard to move a truck, even a small one. The 2017 has the same exact oil, but now the oil changes are recommend at 10,000 miles, instead of 5000, because the engine does not have too work as hard. My gas mileage is at 21.7 miles per gallon. The 6 cylinder gets better mileage than the 4 cylinder did and it is even a slightly bigger truck. Those 4 cylinders might be just dandy for a compact car, but for even a small truck, they suck.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 11:33 PM

Before the deep snow I trap off a 4 wheel bike its a lot slower than the snowmachine but I can trap all day off the bike on a cup of gas.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/08/18 11:47 PM

I've tried lots of things but never had much success gaining very much.

Did have a guy tell me one time........
Put air shocks on the back to jack the rear up. You'll always be running down-hill and save so much gas, you'll have to stop once in awhile to drain some out. smile
Posted By: charles

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 12:12 AM

Just how much Hydrogen did your set up produce and how much energy is in a measure of hydrogen? Lots of hydrogen in beans, if you can seperate the sulfide from the hydrogen.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 12:14 AM

Eastwood....wasn't criticizing one bit. When I want to save gas (and it's feasible). I grab the Focus. 40mpg vs 14. No brainer.

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Calvin
Eastwood....wasn't criticizing one bit. When I want to save gas (and it's feasible). I grab the Focus. 40mpg vs 14. No brainer.

My primary is a VW with the 2.0 TDI...50 mpg is hard to beat, but it has zero ability to get out of a field (barely handles snow on the highway). My beater lists at 18 hwy. I'd like to get 20, if it's doable. I didn't have 32k for a new Tacoma, and this was a cash sale.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 02:47 AM

Seems like a lot of people dump a ton of money into gadgets to try and squeeze 1.5 mpg out of their vehicle. Wonder how many miles it takes to make up for the money invested even with 2.79 gas? 18 hwy is what most 1/2 pickups probably get on the hwy. every time i find myself a little too interested in a newer tacoma or something similar, i remind myself my 07 Ram is paid for even if it gets 12 mpg while trapping.

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: charles
Just how much Hydrogen did your set up produce and how much energy is in a measure of hydrogen? Lots of hydrogen in beans, if you can seperate the sulfide from the hydrogen.

Dunno. I'm a backyard kinda guy. Never put gauges on it, but there are folks that took it a lot further. Youtube has a ton of info on it.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 12:00 PM

the biggest thing effecting fuel mileage is they way you drive.

anything i bought and tried to put on over the years was a waste of money.

aerodynamicing the bottom of your car with sheets of plastic would be my first suggestion though.
Posted By: ilbucksndux

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 01:03 PM

I once played around with the hydrogen generator and put together a small one and I have to say i got 8 more mpg with it and considered building a much bigger one that mounted under the hood better but I never did. If you need better mpg Im going to suggest buy a new truck, one that was built to get better gas mileage.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 05:24 PM

Hydrogen powered Fuel Cell vehicles are the future. U.S. Department of Energy's Idaho National Laboratory is making progress in the development of economical high volume hydrogen production methods. You might wear out a truck or two in the mean time.

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 05:28 PM

There again, cold weather will screw with a guy on these hydrogen generators. Water freezes, so then you have to alter for that.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Boosting fuel economy - 10/09/18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hippie
I've tried lots of things but never had much success gaining very much.

Did have a guy tell me one time........
Put air shocks on the back to jack the rear up. You'll always be running down-hill and save so much gas, you'll have to stop once in awhile to drain some out. smile

laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums