Those are some small wolves.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/09/17/w...-online-debate/
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/17/18 09:56 PM

My vote...yotes...

Donnie
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/17/18 10:05 PM

I originally saw it on a group that stated was taken in VA....so there was no question of wolf as presented. But since it's actually from MN, the adult does seem very lanky for a yote....I'll vote wolves.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/17/18 11:07 PM

coyotes
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/17/18 11:16 PM

I say wolf the pups look bigger than coyote
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 12:40 AM

Definitely wolves.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 12:47 AM

look like coyotes to me , you can't shoot wolves and those are gonna need shooting.
Posted By: SedgeTrapper

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 12:53 AM

100% wolves
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 12:55 AM

They are Wolves. Too Bulky bodied to be Coyotes
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BernieB.
Definitely wolves.

X2
Posted By: mainer

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 02:37 AM

Wolves - Ma, Pa, and the six young'uns.
Posted By: cndgmn

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 03:20 AM

I lean towards a hybrid of some type...they look off for both to me.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 06:37 AM

500% wolves...........
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 01:18 PM

wolves wear tracking collars wink

and the DNR clearly said there were no wolves in this county so they must be coyotes. (sarcasm)
Posted By: waggler

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 02:30 PM

I found this interesting article on wolves/coyotes/dogs/red wolves. Current DNA evidence is showing there is a lot more overlap between the various canine species than previously thought.

https://retrieverman.net/2011/05/21/the-creature-formerly-known-as-the-red-wolf/

I've looked at a lot of wolf skins at fur auction houses, and the eastern Canadian wolves sure have a lot more coyote characteristics than do western Canadian wolves. This article sheds a lot of light on the possible reason for that.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 02:57 PM

Wolves, look to long and legs to long to be coyotes.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 03:24 PM

Here's a good comparison picture I got on trail cam a couple years back in northern Wisconsin. It's not always as easy to tell the difference though.

Posted By: mainer

Re: Wolves or coyotes? - 09/18/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: waggler
I found this interesting article on wolves/coyotes/dogs/red wolves. Current DNA evidence is showing there is a lot more overlap between the various canine species than previously thought.

https://retrieverman.net/2011/05/21/the-creature-formerly-known-as-the-red-wolf/

I've looked at a lot of wolf skins at fur auction houses, and the eastern Canadian wolves sure have a lot more coyote characteristics than do western Canadian wolves. This article sheds a lot of light on the possible reason for that.

Unfortunately, the Animal Rights movement continues to aggressively push the coyote/wolf hybrid narrative as a way to have coyotes listed under the Endangered Species Act. For example, here's part of a 2009 petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that came from the Maine Wolf Coalition:

Quote:
In accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act and/or the Endangered Species Act, we hereby petition the U.S. Department of Interior and the Service to regulate the commerce or taking, and treat as endangered species in the States of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts, coyotes (Canis latrans), coyote/gray wolf hybrids (Canis latrans x Canis lupus), eastern wolves (Canis lycaon), eastern wolf/gray wolf hybrids (Canis lycaon x Canis lupus), coyote/eastern wolf hybrids (Canis latrans x Canis lycaon), and coyote/eastern wolf/gray wolf hybrids (Canis latrans x Canis lycaon x Canis lupus) because of their close resemblance to the federally endangered and protected gray wolf.

Thankfully, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service denied the petition in 2010:

Quote:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has denied a petition seeking to designate gray wolves in five northeast states – Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont – as a distinct population segment under the Endangered Species Act because there is no evidence that a wolf population exists in those states.

The Service has denied additional requests to extend Endangered Species Act protection in these states to other canids (e.g., coyotes and wolf hybrids) due to similarity of appearance and to prepare a recovery plan for northeast wolves. The agency is currently evaluating the taxonomic relationship of the gray wolf to wolves found in southeastern Canada closest to the U.S. border. Any decision on the need for a recovery plan or a similarity of appearance designation will be based on analysis of that information. The Service will not be initiating a status review and has no intention of advocating a wolf reintroduction effort at this juncture.

Once again, we see the Antis using the tactic of encompassing other non-endangered and non-threatened species under protections of the Endangered Species Act. I wish more trappers paid attention to this....

Note to waggler: I didn't intend this to be a criticism of you or your post. I share your interest in this topic.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums