Home

Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - WY convention

Posted By: John Graham

Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - WY convention - 08/14/18 12:06 AM

In less than 2 weeks, all roads lead to the Wyoming State Trappers Assoc. Convention, in Lusk, WY.- August 24-25

We have 13 demos, Starting with a Wolf Trapping Demo by a WS Trapper and ending with Skinning/fleshing/drumming/stretching a 'cat (And probably glanding it too) We'll have calling demos, trapping Demos, and snaring demos. The best of the best.

And, some of the biggest players in the western fur business will be there too.

Vendors will carry everything from top end basswood stretchers to fur blankets to new traps.

There'll be 2 gun raffles, a custom made beaver-chewed log bed auctioned, and a pile of good items raffled and auctioned.

If you are serious about trapping and harvesting Coyotes and 'Cats this coming season, I encourage you to come to Lusk, WY., August 24-25, which is right around the corner!

Thanks

Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/14/18 12:41 AM

This will be a great chance for you harvesters to see what makes a good coyote vs average,
Same goes for cats, some of the best information one can get will come out of these two days!
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/14/18 02:47 AM

Can somebody please take a picture of that bed and send it to me when you are at the convention. I would love to see what it looks like. I have a real soft spot for custom furniture like that.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/14/18 09:32 PM

Might as well throw those on the auction as well. Curly maple frames and custom logos.

Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 01:02 AM

John and the WY crew put on a top notch convention. I'd also recommend sticking around for the Saturday evening banquet and fur show. It's worth the price of admission just to watch Bill knock down two 20 oz. ribeyes.
Posted By: merganser

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 12:59 PM

Wish I could go, but have to go to Polson, MT. for my inlaws' 50th anniversary. I will also be missing our own convention due to work. eek
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 03:49 PM

Nice work there Otie . . . as usual.

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 05:15 PM

Thanks Tracy!!!!! See ya in UT!!!

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 05:52 PM

Remember my gloves

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 07:53 PM

Text me Friday while Im up there. That way I will just walk down to Petskas and get them.

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/15/18 07:54 PM

OK, remind me Thursday. grin

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/16/18 02:59 AM

Otis, Those are, in my limited experience, great looking Corn Hole Boards! At the risk of making an assumption, they look pretty 'fast'

Steve, I'm glad that you are making the trip from Minnesota again!

Things are coming together nicely. The weather looks good for that weekend, at least at this time. (80's for a high)

We are moving the demo area, for various reasons, but mainly to cut down on the distraction of vehicle noise.

I also have 2 Porta-Pottis coming, and they'll be in general vicinity of the demo spot.

Friday will kick-off at Noon, and the first demo will be at 3 P.M.

We will start serving breakfast Saturday morning at 7 a.m. (Biscuits & Gravy) Coffee will be on before that. The first demo will start at 8 a.m. (Les Johnson)

There is plenty of tent camping on the north end of the fairgrounds (free)
Camper hookups are limited, and are $15 for both days.

If you don't need a hookup, it is free.

And Tracy, I'm not sure about your glove deal, but I'll remind both of you!

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/16/18 01:33 PM

He needs gloves from Greg. I told him to remind me while I was up there, but someone has to remind him he needs gloves. This getting old stuff is such a hoot.

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/20/18 09:13 AM

We made a decision to start serving breakfast outside at about 7 a.m.,(coffee earlier) so we could open the building at 7:30. Our first demo is Les Johnson, of Predator Quest fame, at 8 a.m.

10 demos in one day! The weather looks great, and it's going to be a busy one.

Food will be available Friday afternoon, and pretty much all day Saturday.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/22/18 01:46 PM

I'd sure like to go but can't make it. Sounds like fun
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/24/18 01:37 AM

John,
I wanted to come so bad I am riding down there with Tuffy! Wish me luck. See you tomorrow.
Larry
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/25/18 01:47 PM

Hopefully somebody will post some pictures for those of us less fortunate people that could not attend.

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/26/18 09:11 PM

What a weekend!!! John, Nicole and the whole Graham family, plus all the other help, put on a show that was beyond all expectations. Over 300 folks from at least 14 different states witnessed 13, hour long demos in 13 hours from the best of the best that could be herded into the wonderful town of Lusk. Trapping, shooting, snaring, calling, decoy dogs, fur put up, care of carcasses. All demos where full of inquisitive souls looking to improve for the coming season. Topped of Saturday night with steak and potatoes, followed by a fur fashion show compleate with some of Mr Pappas'belly cat jackets, awards, scholarships, raffles and a fantastic auction. MANY MANY thanks for the invite and hospitality!
The Venue

Demo line up

Some of the greats
Snare legend Keith Gregerson Working the crowd.

Tom Krause

Les Johnson

Major Boddicker

The Host and his wife Nicole

Bill Ilchik showing the big iron

Let you folks absorb that and I'll get more up after a bit!
Posted By: mtnative

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/26/18 10:01 PM

Just got home
That was the best trapper gathering I have ever attended, that includes several NTA nationals and westerns.
The Graham’s did an unbelievable job. The banquet including the steak dinner was unbelievable.
Tons of information from the demos plus socializing and catching up with old and new friends made for a great weekend.
The weather was perfect.
I am very happy I made the trip, that will definitely be a once in a lifetime event.
Thanks to all!!
Mike Ross
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/27/18 10:57 PM

Looks good, I'll be in Newcastle in a couple weeks, head south to ft collins

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/27/18 11:28 PM

A few more just because
Forrest Lewis hand sew fur goods

Wolf gear from a great demo

Trappers post editor Mike Wilhite did a demo and discussed the upcoming season fur market

Miss Rodeo Wyoming.

Greg Petska discussing coyote quality
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/28/18 12:20 AM

All I can say is "WOW" what a great convention. The Wyoming Trappers Assn did a great job. John, Nicole and everybody worked so hard. What a great line up of demo's. The Saturday night speakers, fur fashion show and steak feed was outstanding.

Thank you for allowing us to have a booth and be apart of such a great trapping event.

Larry Bowden
director
"Western South Dakota Fur Harvesters Association"

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/28/18 06:29 PM

WY sure did it again. What a awesome convention.

Great lineup they had, great conversation, and super food. Thank you John and Crew.

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/29/18 12:04 AM

THANKS EVERYONE! It was a pleasure. I'm so appreciative of all the people that came and gave great demos, and also the huge crowd of people that attended. I have a great crew of friends and family to work with, and they ALL went the extra mile. I'm bowing out and plans are for the WSTA Rendezvous to be in Riverton, WY. next year. Thanks for posting the pics, Todd. It WAS one for the books! John
Posted By: swet158

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/30/18 12:25 AM

Great job, John. Great convention and the demos were top notch.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Coyote & Bobcat Men (and women) - 08/30/18 12:36 AM

It was a great time John. Thanks for putting it all together. Glad I made it this year, Riverton might be a stretch but it would be some killer country to see.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums