Home

Old vises

Posted By: waggler

Old vises - 08/11/18 05:26 AM

A week or so there was a thread about vises, I should have posted this then. I found this little vise in the old blacksmith shop pictured below. The shop was in operation between about 1890 and 1930. Can anyone tell me about this little vise? What it's purpose was, when it was made, etc..

Posted By: Spek Jones

Re: Old vises - 08/11/18 06:04 AM

It's a hand vise, used to hold small metal objects like when filing or grinding on them or bending, anywhere you need to hold a small piece of metal securely while working on it.
Not sure about when it would have been made.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Old vises - 08/11/18 10:01 AM

An early version of a vice-grip.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Old vises - 08/11/18 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
It's a hand vise, used to hold small metal objects like when filing or grinding on them or bending, anywhere you need to hold a small piece of metal securely while working on it.
Not sure about when it would have been made.

X2
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Old vises - 08/11/18 10:28 AM

I believe it was used to hold flat power transmission belts for splicing.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 03:14 AM

A neat looking old place !
Posted By: Spek Jones

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 05:43 AM

From the looks of it I would guess that it was made some time in 1920's or '30's, but it could even be older than that.

That's an awesome anvil, you need to sift through all the debris in there, no telling what is under that stuff.
Posted By: randyt

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 10:33 AM

I have a couple hand vises like that one. A old one and a newer one. new and old they are nearly identical. Some of them have a small groove in the jaw, this was to hold pins or small screws to be shortened or somewhat modified. Like was said earlier, I use mine for holding small parts and hand filing those parts. Sometimes I will have a small part in the hand vise and then put the hand vise in a bench vise. Seems goofy but sometimes a bench vise is too big to hold a tiny part.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 11:48 AM

What happened to the anvil? Did it sell or did you keep it?

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 01:29 PM

^^^^^^
It's still sitting there, it has a crack in it though.

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 02:11 PM

Man, I'd love to get ahold of something like that.

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 02:39 PM

^^^^^
It's about 350 miles from the closest road; it will probably be sitting there for a while.

Lots of other cool stuff there; old belt driven equipment like the grinding wheel pictured, lathes, huge band saws, drill presses, etc.

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 02:55 PM

that's a awesome wet stone.

here is a photo of mine.

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 03:12 PM

^^^^^^
Is there any demand for old belt drive hardware and equipment? I see you have some.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: waggler
^^^^^^
Is there any demand for old belt drive hardware and equipment? I see you have some.

Lots of interest a few years ago my cousins auctioned off their dads stuff including an entire shop of belt drive tools and in many cases it bought way way more then the modern stuff

Frankly your sitting on a small gold mine there if you could get it out

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 04:57 PM

lots of folks like that old equipment

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 08:38 PM

I finally found a couple of other pictures from the shop. This is some of the equipment in there, the lathe is rusted up a bit, the drill press still turns but is a little rusty. Is equipment in this kind of shape still worth anything? I don't want to set to work salvaging any of this stuff if it's just scrap iron.

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 08:45 PM

Yes if you don’t want to do it give me location and i will do it

Just a heads up the beltway at the top of that last photo is worth salvaging as well
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 11:06 PM

Would there happen to be a power hammer in there?

Moosetrot

Re: Old vises - 08/12/18 11:57 PM

If it's over 300 miles from a road, how in billyhill did they get the stuff in there to begin with?

Re: Old vises - 08/13/18 12:09 AM

^^^^^^^^
No power hammer that I've seen.
It was moved there by sea.

It's not a simple process to get the stuff out of there, I've talked with a couple of the owners, they have no interest in the stuff whatsoever, however, getting official permission to take the stuff is a complex issue involving petty jealousy amongst some of the owners.

Now that I know it might be worth getting the stuff out of there I will try working on the angles.

Re: Old vises - 08/13/18 01:45 AM

Well waggler keep me in mind I might be interested in some of it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums