Home

Coyote hunting

Posted By: SD Coon Catcher

Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 12:00 AM

Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted.

This past winter when I was out calling with some of my new Carver hand calls I got for Christmas, I noticed the colder it was, the quicker my open reed calls would "stick". It seemed that I only had a few minutes of calling before my reeds would act up, no matter how I blew on them. My closed reed swift did not act up but the open reeds did. Anyone know what causes this and how to remedy it ?

Thanks guys. Hopefully some of the members on here have some hand calling experience!
Posted By: Ewcalls

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 12:13 AM

Run it under warm water from the opposite end you blow on. Don't put it up against this faucet just let it run out over it and through it. Old spit can clog a good call up.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 12:30 AM

The moisture created from blowing through it freezes, causing the reed's to stick. I carry open and closed reed calls. When one sticks, I change calls and put the "stuck" on in a pocket to thaw.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 12:31 AM

I have one that had a air tube on it less likely to freeze up that away!
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 12:56 AM

Put them on lanyards and carry them inside your jacket.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 01:04 AM

Hot shots in the pocket
Posted By: Osky

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Northof50
Hot shots in the pocket

This. I keep a sheer glove on my right hand, if anything, and between blowing the call sequences I stash my hand and call in my armpit inside my coat. Between setups I keep the call in my pocket with one of those warmers.

Osky
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 01:24 AM

I used open reeds religiously until I finally broke down and got a electronic with a remote, even then I still have one around my neck in my coat, always warm, never had any trouble with them.

I was going to say maybe the humidity but your further north than I so that should not be a problem for you. Maybe you just have a lot of moisture when you exhale and it's plenty cold to freeze.

Maybe carry more than one so you always have one warm at each stand, pretty easy fix I think, and always a different sound as well !

Try some different brands, I use the Crit-R-Call nothing else never fails me, maybe you can find one that reacts better to you, maybe it's material it's made out of is sucking up the cold as well, might be how your holding it, so it's not shielded from the cold, try cupping it tighter to keep it from getting cold.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 01:38 AM

Hold them between your gloves while waiting for the next series of blows
Posted By: AJE

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster
Put them on lanyards and carry them inside your jacket.
x2
Posted By: Hoffy

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 04:53 AM

On closed reed calls I have carried a cloth and used it to cover the top of the call when it’s really cold. Allows air through but still catches the moisture and helps keep the calls working a little longer.

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 09:30 PM

Alright guys thanks for all the help. I think i'll try keeping my lanyard and calls under my outer layer to keep them warm.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/23/18 09:41 PM

Thanks for getting our minds out of the plus 82 and back into the minus28

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/24/18 12:00 AM

No problem Northof50! I'm not sure what's worse, the heat or the bugs? Definitely the bugs lol
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Coyote hunting - 07/24/18 02:08 AM

There is where you went wrong, buy Carver Calls. He makes and hunts with them in the Desert, not -30 degrees. Just kidding, keep them next to your body under your jacket until ready to use. I know Kerry and he makes some Awesome calls. I have two hanging around my neck when it's time to put the Killing on some Coyotes.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums