Home

Never thought it would be so hard..

Posted By: Chuckles84

Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:09 AM

to buy a shotgun for a 12 year old. But man it was hard. I asked questions here and to buddies on brands and models and so on. He really liked a little Tristar semi auto but not having much knowledge on the brand, being iffy on giving a new shooter a semi auto and the apparent lack of factory or aftermarket barrels I nixed that one.

He also held an 870 express and liked it. I tried my best to get him to fo with a wingmaster but he didnt like the gloss finish on the stock.

So we went with the 870 express it fits him well and parts are available everywhere. It is killing him however that due to my work schedule we wont be able to pick it up till Friday.

Then a week later he takes the hunters safety class so he will be all set for the September dove opener.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:13 AM

Cant go far wrong with an 870. It ain't pretty but they will keep working no matter what. Good choice.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:29 AM

870 expresses will NEVER compete with a wingmaster

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbears

I agree 100%, I prefer to spend more and get a better product. He just really didnt like the high gloss finish, but really liked the matte black finish on the express. Even though I had the final say, I let him have some input on the final choice.

On the plus side, it wont hurt as much when it gets scratched, dinged or dropped.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbears

Two totally different guns when it comes to fit, finish and function.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:46 AM

It’s great that your son is excited about the dove opener, we need more if that. I hope you two have a lot of fun together.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 03:23 AM

I'm excited for the boy and you, Dad! A first shotgun is always a big deal! You guys will have a lot of fun and memories ahead of you. Make the most of it.

Moosetrot

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 03:30 AM

Thanks guys, bought it at a local mom and pop gun shop. Got a hand shake and he congratulated my son on his first gun.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 03:35 AM

My wingmaster was made in the sixties, good dependable shotgun
Posted By: AJE

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 04:30 AM

Interesting. My dad has the Wingmaster, while I bought an Express. I always figured the only difference was the finish coating. Hmmm.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 12:11 PM

I own both.

The fit and finish (other than normal wear) on the Wingmaster are fantastic. The action is silky smooth and it has nice walnut on the stock and forearm.

The fit on the Express is sloppy and the finish, well, you get what you pay for. The action is rough compared to other pumps in my gun safe, especially the Wingmaster. The stock and forearm are some sort of cheap, light colored wood stained to look darker.

I use the Express a lot more than the Wingmaster, mostly for waterfowl. It's the type of gun I don't mind if it gets kicked around in the bottom of the boat and/or trampled by dogs (when it's unloaded of course).
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 12:15 PM

boys and i have 9 expresses and a wingmaster that isn't used.my first shotgun.if they ask about the wingmaster,i bribe them with the 1100's. laugh
Posted By: snowy

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 12:32 PM

I have two Wingmaster one was my dad's and one he bought for me in the 60's. Your sons gun will mostly likely be with him till he is old and can't hunt or shoot any more. A great choice for a life time shot gun.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 01:08 PM

I have an old Wingmaster 20 gauge that gets much better care than my 12 gauge express. The express is ugly and sloppy, but it never fails.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 01:42 PM

That is really Awesome that He is So gung ho!
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 02:06 PM

Awesome. Congrats to you both. Hope he stacks the doves up.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ShaneT
Awesome. Congrats to you both. Hope he stacks the doves up.

I have a feeling my ammo budget is going to have to get bigger. Gonna have to blow the dust off the reloader, and order a bag of shot.
Posted By: mutt

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 08:58 PM

To help alleviate this problem in my future(2 boys 3 and 4), I have developed a plan in which I have started acquiring options for them when they become of age. Nothing fancy, just keep my eye out for good "used" gun that fits with things I do and they will likely join me doing. The wife hasn't even been able to argue with the plan. I recently bought a remington .22 in an auction and told her when I did. She replied "didn't you just win a .22 earlier this year? What do you need 2 or more of the same gun" when I told her, "eventually the boys are gonna be big enough to go with and are gonna need something to use" She actually said I made a good point.
I am not a gun collector however, she knows my purchases are for use in what I love doing and for getting to share that with them. She also knows I don't have patience for inferior quality gear that doesn't work when I need it too so the plan also helps spread gear costs out.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 09:20 PM

A high gloss finish can be dulled to perfection with auto rubbing compound, I use Poly Eurithane for stock refinishing.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/22/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuckles84
I have a feeling my ammo budget is going to have to get bigger. Gonna have to blow the dust off the reloader, and order a bag of shot.

Lol. No doubt, but it's a great investment and tons of good times. Good for you and the kid!

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 12:47 AM

Well picked up my sons shotgun on Friday, he shot 3/4 of a box before shooting a plastic bottle got old. Gotta get the clay thrower dusted off. His hunters safety class is this weekend, and squirrel season opens on the 1st.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 01:38 AM

My boy did well with his 870 express, 20ga. (killed everything that's dead in the picture that day). He killed a lot of stuff, but it was starting show signs of wear, so we traded it off after just 3 years. Granted between, hunting, clay pigeons, and especially dove hunting he put a lot of shells through it in that time.

Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 01:55 AM

That Guy is never going to starve - nice pics

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: John-Chagnon
That Guy is never going to starve - nice pics

Thanks John. He's just as good with his .22 ...

Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:02 AM

Impressive plus better eating without all that bird shot in the meat. Those dogs running them rabbits?

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: John-Chagnon
Impressive plus better eating without all that bird shot in the meat. Those dogs running them rabbits?

LOL, nope, he's the dog and the shooter. Them dogs are just spoiled babies.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:15 AM

I don't mean to derail your post Chuckles84, as far as the gun, if it's not too late, I'd upgrade it. It would of been cheaper for us to get a better gun from the start.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:20 AM

He just really didnt like the high gloss finish,

so take some 1000 grit paper and linseed oil and knock the gloss off

Good for you getting him going!

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
I don't mean to derail your post Chuckles84, as far as the gun, if it's not too late, I'd upgrade it. It would of been cheaper for us to get a better gun from the start.

No worries, I was set on getting him a higher end gun but he fell for the express. Plus if it gets dropped, scratched, dinged or otherwise damaged it wont be quite as big a deal.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:47 AM

The smile says it all. Having to wait a week because of my work schedule just about killed him.

Posted By: yask65

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 02:57 AM

looks good on the young man ! I'm in the same boat got boys chomping at the bit !

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 03:03 AM

No worries, I was set on getting him a higher end gun but he fell for the express. Plus if it gets dropped, scratched, dinged or otherwise damaged it wont be quite as big a deal.

That is a very valid point. Maybe cleaning better than we did will help too. I'm bad about deep cleaning my lower end guns.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 03:03 AM

The smile says it all. Having to wait a week because of my work schedule just about killed him.

Watch out doves! Is it a .20?

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 03:10 AM

Watch out doves! Is it a .20?

Yes, 20 gauge full size with a 26 inch barrel.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 03:15 AM

That is a very valid point. Maybe cleaning better than we did will help too. I'm bad about deep cleaning my lower end guns.

I am not either. Keep the bore clean, and the exterior wiped down is about all i do. Shoot just last year after 25 years of use I shot some rem oil in the action of my winchester 1300.

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: yask65
looks good on the young man ! I'm in the same boat got boys chomping at the bit !

My daughter is 8 and was with us when he shot it. Needless to say i have to take a .22 along next time so she can shoot.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Never thought it would be so hard.. - 07/30/18 12:40 PM

The Remington 870 Express gets a bad rap...Sure the Wingmaster is the better finished shotgun, but after a few hundred rounds the actions on the Express slick up nicely, and they are just as reliable and functional.

The 2 guns have the same internals, and thousands upon thousands of dead crows say it's a darn fine shotgun for the $$!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums