Home

Silver... Time to buy?

Posted By: Finster

Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 04:32 PM

Silver is under $16 spot. Time to buy some or do think it will get even lower. I've been waiting for under $10 but I just don't think it's going to get that low.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 05:35 PM

Pot stocks is the next google or Microsoft.
10g now in the right company will make you a millionaire in a few years.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 05:52 PM

there is never a time to buy silver. the only people making money on silver are the people selling it. four or five years ago someone on here (I think Phil Brown)said they were going to buy when silver got down to $16 per ounce. Hope no one has bought any in hopes of making a profit. Remember you must pay more than spot to get it in quantities.

BOCO might be right "dope" stock may get high.
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 05:59 PM

If you invest in silver you must have a very long time perspective and be prepared to tie your money up for very long periods and if/when silver makes another run you have to be willing to unload it. I am 52 and in my life time silver has only made a few really good runs.
You could plant pine trees from seedlings and have a faster return
Posted By: charles

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 06:28 PM

I think I bought two 100oz bars in the late 80s at $4 an ounce. That was where it fell to after a rediculus rise. Had two friends who bought five gallon buckets of English coins. Since buying the bars I have seen to go to $40/ounce and fall back to todays price.

Have two kids. Guess I will give then a bar each some day.
Posted By: corky

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 07:14 PM

I look at a modest outlay in silver as partial insurance against the Apocalypse. I don't consider it a viable investment.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 08:03 PM

Phys ical silver isn't an investment, it's an insurance policy.

If you want to invest in metals the paper market would be a better vehicle.

Posted By: BigBob

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 08:28 PM

Buy Colloidal Silver, way things are going, might be useful someday
Posted By: Nick C

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 09:07 PM

Crypto

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/17/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick C
Crypto

shocked
Posted By: possum5676

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 10:47 AM

When silver is down it will never go up and when it is up it will never go down. The last time it was never going down some fellows on here were still buying it to get rich near the top. One fellow was buying on two day downs. It went right on down and down from there. I wonder just how many two day downs he managed to buy.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 11:10 AM

When the folks selling silver are hiring actors to advertise their product on TV it's NOT a good time to buy. Other commercials tell you the price of silver is low (true) but is in great demand and soon will be worth much more. When ever is the price of a commodity "in great demand" low? Only when the supply is even greater than the demand is the price low. But hey, maybe you just can't resist getting one of those "full bags of silver."
Posted By: Marty

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: corky
I look at a modest outlay in silver as partial insurance against the Apocalypse. I don't consider it a viable investment.

Concur.
Posted By: Nick C

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Steven 49er
Originally Posted By: Nick C
Crypto

shocked

whistle whistle
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:39 PM

Much wiser to invest heavily in brass, copper, and lead, in various proportions and configurations.

Can be used, or re-sold at any time, and is the 'best insurance' against the "Apocalypse". whistle

grin Charlie
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: chas3457
Much wiser to invest heavily in brass, copper, and lead, in various proportions and configurations.

Can be used, or re-sold at any time, and is the 'best insurance' against the "Apocalypse". whistle

grin Charlie

Yep that combo will get you whatever you need in the hard times and let you keep what you already have! LOL
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:48 PM

Invest in phone booths, calendars, road atlases and floppy disks. Can't miss.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:49 PM

I'm heavily invested in lead right now. About 150 grains at a time. grin

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:52 PM

Silver has a great fluctuation over time but it peaks it seems over long time periods! I remember getting trap shooting trophies (silver coins) back in the 2000s and thinking I had something for my $150 days expense then seeing the they were $5.40 an ounce back then.

Over the years it has been above $30 an ounce so if a guy bought it in quantity a good profit would be made. Seeing what a bank pays today in the long term silver could be a winner in the long run maybe.
Posted By: bass10

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 01:56 PM

I was told at an early age to always have some of your portfolio in precious metals, basically silver or gold. I bought shares in a gold mining company and
it pretty much stayed flat for about ten years. I sold and the company was sold later as I continued following it. I am not sure why advisors think or thought this but to me it seems you could make more in a savings account at 1% interest which we all know is a joke.
Posted By: white17

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 02:08 PM

IF you feel you must own metals, it makes a HUGE difference what the vehicle is. Whether bullion, shares in an ETF, or shares of miners, or futures contracts. They are not well correlated. If the price of silver moves up or down, those different vehicles will/can respond in the opposite. Not only that but, they can and do respond differently to the same move in the spot price.

As someone said above "I don't consider it an investment". True story. IF/WHEN the price goes up it is usually because the value of the dollar has gone down ....so you haven't gained a thing in terms of purchasing power. You MAY have stayed flat which is better than a loss of course.

There are multiple better places to put your money and precious metals is sure not the one I would choose. IF you must buy into PM right now...the one with better ( as opposed to GOOD ) prospects is platinum.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 04:46 PM

A friendly suggestion that interested speculators do a bit of DD surrounding the supply and pricing of U308 and Cobalt... and then have a look at the TSX listed stock "UEX"
With current technology, a lithium battery cannot be produced without Cobalt which is primarily sourced in places that many companies Corporate Social Responsibility policies would disallow them from dealing with.

I am no expert, and this is not a solicitation...
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 04:55 PM

The Old Man on Pawn Stars collected and hoarded a lot of silver. I once heard he has 1,000s of pounds of the stuff.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 04:57 PM

The thing is that the "markets" what will they be in any apocalypse and people may not understand what cobalt or other minerals would do for them but everyone knows silver/gold have always had value long before other currencies came along.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 04:58 PM

But so did salt
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
The thing is that the "markets" what will they be in any apocalypse and people may not understand what cobalt or other minerals would do for them but everyone knows silver/gold have always had value long before other currencies came along.
I would rather have an infinite supply of baked beans tha all the silver in the country, following an apocalyptic event!
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 05:01 PM

I agree Law Dog, but honestly in a truly SHTF situation then your basic commodities with the most value would likely be ammunition and fresh water... and honestly, if you have ammunition you can always "get" the water you need.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 05:09 PM

Agree but having all can be useful for sure just don't see so much with what people don't know they need or will not understand what they have a use for or have any market for!

It seems a oz of silver would have more value then any piece of paper then.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: white17
But so did salt

But salt didnt withstand the test of time. Gold is the only true form of money, the rest is just an IOU.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 06:48 PM

But it could just as easily be some other commodity depending on conditions. Precious metals have no intrinsic value other than that which we assign them. We perceive them as valuable...therefore they have value.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
I would rather have an infinite supply of baked beans tha all the silver in the country, following an apocalyptic event!

If I had an infinite supply of baked beans I could cause an apocolypse.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 06:53 PM

I'll take a 100 rolls of TP and some slim jims over an oz of silver in a SHTF scenario lol.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 07:06 PM

But it could just as easily be some other commodity depending on conditions. Precious metals have no intrinsic value other than that which we assign them. We perceive them as valuable...therefore they have value.

And they been perceived as having value since the dawn of man and will for eternity. Well unless we start mining asteroids.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 07:12 PM

I believe gold has value because it is a noble metal and does not deteriorate over a long period of time. Plus in a societal collapse everybody will follow the golden rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Steven 49er

And they been perceived as having value since the dawn of man and will for eternity. Well unless we start mining asteroids.

Or hemorroids
Posted By: EdP

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 11:25 PM

Quote:
I believe gold has value because it is a noble metal and does not deteriorate over a long period of time. Plus in a societal collapse everybody will follow the golden rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

I believe in a societal collapse that whoever has the power makes the rules. Gold is not power, weapons and the people to wield them are power. If you have the weapons and the people to wield them you can take the food, alcohol, and gold that others have, and then make the rules. Gold is assigned value because it does not deteriorate over time and is rare, so it is useful as a trading commodity for exchange purposes. In a low tech society it has no intrinsic value. In an advanced society it has a few uses such as electrical contacts in high end weaponry, but otherwise it is just an exchange medium of convenience.
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/18/18 11:42 PM

Key, gold, and silver numismatic coins of high quality have an overall good return, plus you have the gold, and silver as a base value. Better investment than just bullion.

RTT
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: EdP
Quote:

I believe in a societal collapse that whoever has the power makes the rules. Gold is not power, weapons and the people to wield them are power. If you have the weapons and the people to wield them you can take the food, alcohol, and gold that others have, and then make the rules. Gold is assigned value because it does not deteriorate over time and is rare, so it is useful as a trading commodity for exchange purposes. In a low tech society it has no intrinsic value. In an advanced society it has a few uses such as electrical contacts in high end weaponry, but otherwise it is just an exchange medium of convenience.

Last I knew the electrical contacts on vehicle airbags were gold plated. And the electrical contacts on industrial motor starters were silver, or silver plated.

Mike
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 12:27 AM

Gold and silver has always been and will be an universal form of trade or money. While I believe in having plenty of lead available. Trading a box of bullets for which you don't have a firearm for will not work. Just look at the history of gold and silver. Been valued and worshipped for hundreds of years. I will always keep a supply on hand. Never bet on just one thing. Sarge

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 01:11 AM

In a collapse I believe that firearms, ammo, food and water will be most important until whoever makes it adjusts and some trade starts. The problem I see with gold is that it would be had to come up with a small piece to say, trade for a loaf of bread. Silver dimes, quarters, half's and dollars along with some 1oz pieces would be easy to trade for smaller items.

Now if just the dollar tanked gold and silver might be useful from the beginning if all else stayed normal. But....if the dollar tanked all else might not stay normal.

Civil society hangs by a thin rope, IMHO.

Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 02:02 AM

Societies have collapsed since time. I am not sure that anything would hold value except those things which would help your survival and the survival of your family. In the case when all TSHTF and the world currencies are worthless I hope have some chickens and pigs or goats. Some seed, water, canned food and a sturdy well protected shelter. I think I could trade some one some eggs for some sugar or honey or water. Not sure what I would do with a hunk of silver or gold. I guess it would be pretty to shine and play with.
It’s a speculative trade IMO at best and one that if you have money you want to tie up in something reasonably safe with the potential some years down the road of having a return them maybe that’s your game.
I say diversity is key own some land, own some stocks, own some cash, own some guns and ammo, keep 6 months to a year of food supply and know how to raise food or capture it.
Take some profits from your investments along the way or die and leave it to the government and others to enjoy.

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 02:08 AM

Silver and gold is small, easy to carry/non perishable and will be valuable if trade/barter is going on.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Silver... Time to buy? - 07/19/18 02:18 AM

Quote:

Man, I hope you have a good ventilation system wherever you're riding out the survival situation! Then again, inhaling all those canned beans is probably better than finishing off a 5 lb. block of USDA commod "cheese product" in about 3 days that I saw one of my fairly large college friends do back in the early 1980s. He may have been the "maker" of a 3 inch wide and over a foot long "log" that was laid in one of my dorm floor's toilet that was quite the talk of our dwelling for a few days. Whoever laid it never left any paper in the bowl because of their accomplishment (or because of the agony). No one ever fessed up to laying that turd.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Nothing against the subject, just had a weird moment...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums