Home

Impressed with Missouri

Posted By: Elkguy

Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:27 AM

Went there for the first time a couple weeks ago and stayed with some friends on Table Rock Lake. Couldn't believe the clarity and cleanliness of that water, as well as the temperature being perfect for swimming! Beautiful place. And then there's the stuff Johnny Morris has built,,, only saw a small percentage (Bass Pro in Springfield and the aquarium) but it is amazing. Only downside was the heat and humidity that this old Montanan can't get used to. The lake made it bearable though. And super friendly people. Going back next year to see the wildlife museum and Top of the Rock!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:33 AM

Interesting , my sister and her husband are moving from Oregon to Kansas City Missouri in a couple of weeks

I always thought it was called the state of Misery .

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:38 AM

I had preconceived notions of what it would be like as well. Turns out I was way off base, at least with the parts of it I saw. Branson was a little cheesy but not horrible.

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:42 AM

I rolled through St. Louis one time about 33 yrs ago and all I remember was that is was a S hole

But that's all I remember , prolly some good parts somewhere
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:49 AM

Kansas City and St Louis are NOT Missouri .

I grew up in Howell and Wright Counties . Gorgeous country . I get real home sick every spring and fall. I love the mountains where I live now , but it's not the Ozarks.

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 05:00 AM

After living in Kentucky and Tennessee I came back to the west and have no desire to live anywhere east of the Rockies .

I will always have fond memories of the good people in those states though , including Oklahoma where some family still live.

Heck , I think I'm eligible to live on the Choctaw Rez in Oklahoma , but it's hard to beat the West and high desert country even with all the yuppies , freaks , and a holes ......... grin
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 05:29 AM

People of Missouri can't be beat.Went 23 straight years ,doing the conventions in MO.. Even trapped with Wolfer and Paula,on and around lake of the Ozarks.
If I was 30 years younger and was going to leave Minnesota,Missouri would be my destination.
Tom
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 10:03 AM

Great folks in Missouri.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 10:28 AM

have a brother in-law that's from Missouri like it where he from 1 1/2 south of st louis lots of nice people there
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 10:46 AM

one nice thing about MO is that kc and st looey don't out vote the rest of the state. they have a fish and game that has to be one of the top 3 in the country as well as very reasonable trapping fishing and hunting regs. you can legally harvest plenty of wild animals without breaking any laws. a real nice variety of wild life also
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 11:39 AM

I know it doesn't seem possible but 20+ years ago Table Rock was a lot clearer (more people and chicken farms=more nutrients in the water).
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 01:13 PM

Table rock is a great lake, as is Mark Twain lake and Truman. As a Missourian I would reccomend to anyone that visits a lake here, please make it one of them. The Lake of the Ozarks is a cess pool and is over run with tourists aka city slickers. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day I do everything in my power to avoid that place.

I think the weather is pretty rough here, we seem to get the worst of Summers and winters. Had a few weeks in the negatives last winter, already several weeks over a heat index of 100 this summer and it aint even August. Sometimes we get mild summers and winters, but the harsh ones really make you pay.

As far as big cities go, STL is a S hole, but show me a big city that aint. I have no use for big cities. Been to STL and KC maybe 10 times total in my entire life.

The people are great, weather could be better, Lake of the Ozarks is gross, big cities are what they are, but Missouri is home and I love it laugh

P.S. GO CHIEFS laugh
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 01:15 PM

O and of course, the deer and turkey hunting, trapping, fishing, it is all pretty plentiful. I have heard that our Whitetail and Eastern Turkey hunting are both top 5 in the nation, so there's that.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 01:38 PM

I like the Current River, and the Jacks Fork for a good float trip...Beautiful scenic river.

Southern Missouri is all I have spent much time in, and it has a lot to offer the nature lover.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Kansas City and St Louis are NOT Missouri .

I grew up in Howell and Wright Counties . Gorgeous country . I get real home sick every spring and fall. I love the mountains where I live now , but it's not the Ozarks.

Webster and Christian counties is where I grew up.

Mike
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 02:58 PM

Among beaglers, Missouri is known for having really good rabbit hunting too.

Keith
Posted By: tjm

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:27 PM

nothin to see here, move along now.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 04:42 PM

I have been to Missouri several times and was pretty impressed. Been to Table Rock Lake once. It's a very impressive lake. Saw some huge sunfish near the surface. It's a very clear lake.
Posted By: N.Roberts

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 05:15 PM

The longer I have been away, the more I appreciate her.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AntiGov
I rolled through St. Louis one time about 33 yrs ago and all I remember was that is was a S hole But that's all I remember , prolly some good parts somewhere

Still is! But anywhere away from big city's is a slice of Paradise. Anybody going to Bass Pro in Springfield, I HIGHLY recommend lunch at the BBQ place across the highway from the main entrance. Superb!

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: tjm
nothin to see here, move along now.

Oooops, he's right, just keep moving.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/21/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBob
I rolled through St. Louis one time about 33 yrs ago and all I remember was that is was a S hole But that's all I remember , prolly some good parts somewhere

Still is! But anywhere away from big city's is a slice of Paradise. Anybody going to Bass Pro in Springfield, I HIGHLY recommend lunch at the BBQ place across the highway from the main entrance. Superb!

It's called Whole Hog Bbq. Best ribs around!

Missouri has a little of all the US in it....even salt water if you know the right spots to look.

ol'dad

Posted By: KeithC

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/22/18 12:00 AM

I liked the resturant Jimmy's By The Park, in St. Louis, Missouri. I had one of my top two best meals at a resturant there and it was reasonably priced. Unfortunately it closed.

The City Museum in St. Louis is a must see. A buddy and I almost got thrown out of the basketball pit for having a basketball fight, by an 18 year old girl.

Keith
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/22/18 12:26 AM

After living in Kentucky and Tennessee I came back to the west and have no desire to live anywhere east of the Rockies .

I will always have fond memories of the good people in those states though , including Oklahoma where some family still live.

Heck , I think I'm eligible to live on the Choctaw Rez in Oklahoma , but it's hard to beat the West and high desert country even with all the yuppies , freaks , and a holes ......... grin

The Choctaw might disagree... But I think they did pretty good with the land they were alotted. SE OK, especially around Broken Bow, is a paradise.

Mike

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/22/18 01:34 AM

I forgot to mention the Flat Creek Bar and Restaurant, really cool place with excellent food and staff! Definitely going there again on our next visit.
Posted By: longbow31

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/22/18 12:42 PM

Lived here all my life. Always wanted to go west to the mountains tho. Finally got out to Colorado a few years ago to go elk hunting. I did like the mountains, but after a week I got really home sick and tired of seeing just mountains and very little variety. Without a few aspen trees scattered in, it all just looked the same. I live around Mark Twain Lake. Go one direction and it is hills and bluffs, go a mile in the other direction and it is flat farm ground. Lots of variety in this part of the state. Wouldn't want to go anywhere else I don't think.

P.S. If you come to Mark Twain Lake for the first time boating, bring a few dozen props and maybe a lower unit or 2 lol.
Posted By: ol mike

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: longbow31
Lived here all my life. Always wanted to go west to the mountains tho. Finally got out to Colorado a few years ago to go elk hunting. I did like the mountains, but after a week I got really home sick and tired of seeing just mountains and very little variety. Without a few aspen trees scattered in, it all just looked the same. I live around Mark Twain Lake. Go one direction and it is hills and bluffs, go a mile in the other direction and it is flat farm ground. Lots of variety in this part of the state. Wouldn't want to go anywhere else I don't think.

P.S. If you come to Mark Twain Lake for the first time boating, bring a few dozen props and maybe a lower unit or 2 lol.

I'm going to retire in Mo. or Ar. , I felt the same way about '' out west '' - meridian , Id. [near boise] lived there 07 & 08 . Dry , no rain vast expanses of nothing more than a coyote - great place to visit but that's it for me .
I guess everybody has what they like and maybe what they are use to .
I grew up in SW Ohio , soybean/cornfields green as can be nice rivers creeks etc. . Too crowded there now most of what were fields are now filled with houses .
So it's move west old man , but not way out west .
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 03:48 AM

Don't forget the NTA convention will be in Springfield in 2019 will make a nice vacation to see the sites as well.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 04:46 AM

I agree table rock lake is a Beauty. Very clear water and super deep lake also. The state has so much diversity from North to South alotta different landscape to see.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 03:31 PM

A beautiful/conservative state that has a wide range of landscapes. They put a lot of money into their State Parks and wildlife, and it shows. Great people and very good wildlife laws compared to most I've seen.

Any big city has it's good and bad parts. I just spent a week in St Louis. I was lucky to stay in the nice area. It was beautiful. Definitely one of nicest areas I've ever been in (for a city). It's not hard to stay out of the bad areas if you have eyeballs.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 05:12 PM

Heck , I think I'm eligible to live on the Choctaw Rez in Oklahoma

Lol, there is no Choctaw Rez in Oklahoma.

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ol' dad
It's called Whole Hog Bbq. Best ribs around! ol'dad

I think it's called Buckingham's
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
one nice thing about MO is that kc and st looey don't out vote the rest of the state. they have a fish and game that has to be one of the top 3 in the country as well as very reasonable trapping fishing and hunting regs. you can legally harvest plenty of wild animals without breaking any laws. a real nice variety of wild life also

The people of Missouri need to vote out Senator Claire McCaskill this November.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 07:12 PM

correct grandpa...... lots of different scenery and plenty of critters to trap here... I like our laws compared to other states

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted By: danny clifton

The people of Missouri need to vote out Senator Claire McCaskill this November.

We keep trying!

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 08:35 PM

I just met one of your game wardens from Missouri. I can’t rembere his name but he said he is retiring next month. Seemed like a nice guy. Met him at the Idaho Traapers convention and he said he drove 1,600 miles to learn more about wolf trapping
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ol mike
, I felt the same way about '' out west '' - meridian , Id. [near boise] lived there 07 & 08 . Dry , no rain vast expanses of nothing more than a coyote - great place to visit but that's it for me

I'm the opposite, I hate humidity, and MO has it like here.

I'm heading 2-3 hrs North of Meridian to Council or Bear or Cascade where the timber is great and not barren like the Boise area.
Lived in MO and ID back in the 80's....both are beautiful.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/24/18 09:42 PM

I just met one of your game wardens from Missouri. I can’t rembere his name but he said he is retiring next month. Seemed like a nice guy. Met him at the Idaho Traapers convention and he said he drove 1,600 miles to learn more about wolf trapping

hmmmmmmmm wonder if I know him????

Re: Impressed with Missouri - 06/25/18 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: jonesy

hmmmmmmmm wonder if I know him????

Physically kind of a big guy
© 2024 Trapperman Forums