Home

Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q.

Posted By: Riverotter2

Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:04 PM

Going down a log road checking traps and laying in the road was a turkey egg. Stop and look at it and crow tracks all around it and the egg was crack open. There was a turkey foot hung out of it and it started to move. Well I open it on up and the little guy was fully developed and even started making them little turkey sounds you know like a little chirp chirp noise or what ever. I cover it in a towel and haul it home. Got it under a light to keep warm but I believe it came into the world a little to soon. It is moving a little and will open it eyes some. So here the Q. I got some bantams and one been trying to set for about two weeks or so. Do you think if the little guy comes around that the bantam may take it. Be cool if it would make it. I'm so excited about being a new father again. Me and my son Butterball. I can see us now riding around together killin egg eating coons and eating corn on the cob.
Posted By: Hal

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:10 PM

How close is she to hatching out? I'll bet she will take if she's close. Birds ain't bright.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:11 PM

Or if not you can just eat it on a cracker.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:14 PM

Well that the problem Hal she wants to set but I keep taking the eggs. Will say Bantams won't give up easy. So that what I'm wondering if I put it under her think she would take it. May not even live.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal
Or if not you can just eat it on a cracker.

Nope, last time I did that I like to choke to death on a feather and I think the cracker was bad to.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:17 PM

Yes, always use fresh crackers.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:28 PM

And white wine goes best with poultry.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:30 PM

Plenty of turkeys. Crows gotta eat too

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:34 PM

Yes, but they don't get crackers and white wine.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton

Plenty of crows to and my job to save turkeys not crow. But then again can't say I ever went about saving a turkey this way before.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:44 PM

Hal can't do the white wine all I got is red made from Muscadines.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Riverotter2
Going down a log road checking traps and laying in the road was a turkey egg. Stop and look at it and crow tracks all around it and the egg was crack open. There was a turkey foot hung out of it and it started to move. Well I open it on up and the little guy was fully developed and even started making them little turkey sounds you know like a little chirp chirp noise or what ever. I cover it in a towel and haul it home. Got it under a light to keep warm but I believe it came into the world a little to soon. It is moving a little and will open it eyes some. So here the Q. I got some bantams and one been trying to set for about two weeks or so. Do you think if the little guy comes around that the bantam may take it. Be cool if it would make it. I'm so excited about being a new father again. Me and my son Butterball. I can see us now riding around together killin egg eating coons and eating corn on the cob.
I'd let her settle on a nest and slip the poult under her at night. Some hens will adopt and some won't, but I think there's a better chance if it shows up while she is asleep; birds wake up to a brand new world every day and by morning it will have some of her smell on it.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 09:05 PM

Hal can't do the white wine all I got is red made from Muscadines.

That's why god gave us Boone's Farm.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 09:31 PM

I would check the sides of the log road for more eggs. A fully developed egg doesn't just appear in the trail. The crow may have rolled it out to work on it.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 09:47 PM

Found 2 cracked turkey eggs on a dirt road in Nebraska the last day I was there. Some varmint had found a nest and stole a couple but had not eaten all of them yet. I do not believe the hen had started setting yet as they showed no sign of development.

Give the bantam a try. Might be the best chance for the little one.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 09:48 PM

Sounds like a crow killing is in order.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 10:29 PM

Well it still alive and moving it head around a little. Might make it to tomorrow.....Good ideal Tim, if it make it I'll put him under her at night.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/23/18 10:33 PM

Was there any Yolk still showing? If not it's likely full term, and just needs to be kept warm.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 02:37 AM

a eye dropper drop of terramycin to half gallon of water will give the little guy a boost. Every wild turkey chick I ever tried raising around domestics died with in days of disease
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 05:10 AM

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy"
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 08:54 AM

I read somewhere where you swap out bantum eggs with quail eggs and they raise them as their own. Haven't got a change to try it myself yet.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: tjm
I'd let her settle on a nest and slip the poult under her at night. Some hens will adopt and some won't, but I think there's a better chance if it shows up while she is asleep; birds wake up to a brand new world every day and by morning it will have some of her smell on it.

I've been told this is the only way to attempt it. Pairing poultry during the day tends not to end well.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 11:55 AM

UPDATE: Butterball funeral service will be held after breakfast this morning. He was a good bird but just seem not to be able to handle life little pressures very well.
Posted By: petey

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 12:47 PM

Ritz or Saltines?

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 08:20 PM

Ritz---it the only way.

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/24/18 08:29 PM

Are you a cracker snob, or a snob cracker?
Posted By: jeff1911

Re: Here one for you from my trapline today--also a Q. - 05/25/18 12:18 AM

hal wins the internet today
© 2024 Trapperman Forums