Home

Stinking Gnats

Posted By: Raizmup

Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 02:59 AM

Just thought I'd share a product that has worked better than anything I've ever tried at keeping the gnats away. It's called Dettol. The only place I can get it, is on Amazon. It's from Europe. It's an anti septic. I wipe a bit on each side of my hat bill and the strap on the back. Gnats won't come within 5 ft! I've also been using in the chicken coop. I'll soak a rag and hang it up. Keeps the gnats away for the chickens too.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 05:10 AM

We get Dettol here-it is the same stuff as pinesol.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 09:53 AM

Does it keep them away when you're sitting around outside?
Posted By: Billkil1187

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco
We get Dettol here-it is the same stuff as pinesol.

So if I use pinesol it will keep the knats away?
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 10:09 AM

The fungus gnats at camp fly around your head any time we try to sit outside. Do you just put some of this stuff on a rag and hang it in the area?
Posted By: Jeff Laskowski

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 11:51 AM

Try Absorbine Plus. I have NEVER found anything that works better at keeping gnats away.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Laskowski
Try Absorbine Plus. I have NEVER found anything that works better at keeping gnats away.

Can you expound on that? If there is something that truly handles gnats and better yet no seeums I'd sure like to hear more.
Thanks

Osky
Posted By: Oley

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 11:59 AM

X2 on the Absorbine Jr.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 12:02 PM

i swear they lifted me off the ground the other day while turkey huntin.

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 12:17 PM

Absorbine works but you have to constantly keep reapplying it. Dettol works 10x better. It's not at all the same as pinesol.
I dip my finger in it and wipe it on my hat bill and the strap on the back. No gnats and lasts all day!
You can mix it 3 parts baby oil to 1 part dettol and make a spray too.
For my chickens, I soak a rag in it and hang the rag up in the coop. Keeps the gnats out. I might try the baby oil mix and spray the chickens, calves and pigs and see how it works on them too.
I've used dettol at work now fir the past 3 years. It flat out works and is cheap!
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Raizmup
Absorbine works but you have to constantly keep reapplying it. Dettol works 10x better. It's not at all the same as pinesol.
I dip my finger in it and wipe it on my hat bill and the strap on the back. No gnats and lasts all day!
You can mix it 3 parts baby oil to 1 part dettol and make a spray too.
For my chickens, I soak a rag in it and hang the rag up in the coop. Keeps the gnats out. I might try the baby oil mix and spray the chickens, calves and pigs and see how it works on them too.
I've used dettol at work now fir the past 3 years. It flat out works and is cheap!

Interesting ! You might also try cutting it with Skin so Soft . That is my bug deterrent.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Laskowski

Thats what I use also but I believe it has to be the "plus" version
Posted By: Boco

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 05:16 PM

Same stuff as pinesol with a bit of solvent added.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 05:16 PM

Work on mosqitoes and ticks and chiggers?
Posted By: Jags

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 05:19 PM

HATE THE GNATS! mad
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 05:46 PM

Something I've noticed about gnats and mosquitoes is that if gnats love you, mosquitoes don't as much. On the other hand, if gnats don't bother you that much, mosquitoes love you.

If there are gnats in the vicinity and my wife is around, you will see a cloud around her. But, they don't bother me. Mosquitoes flock to me, but not her.
Posted By: Hornytoad1

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 07:21 PM

We like this stuff

Re: Stinking Gnats - 05/23/18 07:40 PM

Helps with skeeter but not chiggars or ticks. For those 2 I use Permitherin. Spray your clothes and let dry. It'll kill any tick or chiggar that climbs on. I also get that on Amazon. It's a yellow bottle from Sawyer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums