Home

Planning a "Dream Hunt".....

Posted By: Magnum Hunter

Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 01:40 AM

...at least that's what it's categorized for me anyhow.

I'm in the early stages of research for a Bighorn Sheep hunt. Something about these critters and the terrain they live in is stuck in my mind and I'd love to put my hands on one some day. If anyone has experience with these animals, and wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciative! At this point I'm limited to the power of Google as far as hunting information goes. I have no preference as to state or providence, knowing full well that many, if not all, areas are based on a draw system. As far as gear and clothing, I feel I'm already pretty well set. I have hunted Colorado elk up to 12,000 feet, so I'm aware of how elevation and such effect me. Granted I can always stand to be in better shape overall...

As previously stated, anyone experienced that wouldn't mind sharing a particular area/outfitter/etc to help get this process started will be a great help! I know it will be a while in the making, but I'm willing to put in the time to get the most out of this dream.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:02 AM

From what I kinda know about sheep hunting is you better be rich. Or saving up for a few years. And you better be in good shape, even young.....not super old!!!! LOL!! There are a couple webb sites that have forums about sheep hunting and mountain goats too. Goggle monstermuleys.com or eastmanshunting forums. Lots of great info in there. Just don't get on them sites and ask for info on any honey holes. And unless you can get in on some special tags you will probably have to put in each year for many years... even a lifetime... to build up some points. But if your pockets are deep enough you might be able to be hunting sheep in just a couple years. I was lucky enough to draw a Nebraska resident tag for the once in a lifetime hunt. Only one sheep was allowed the year I got to hunt. Usually have 2 hunts.... an auction tag that goes for $100,000 to $130,000 or more. And a resident only lottery (like I won) for under fifty bucks. Good luck and hope your dream comes true!!!

Posted By: yukon254

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:08 AM

I've never hunted bighorn, but have been guiding long enough to know if I were going after them, it would be in Alberta. There are some real good outfitters that have bighorns. Personally I would go with Frank Simpson. I used to work for Frank during the winter. I would spend the month of February at his basecamp down on the Turnagain river in BC. I was there to feed his horses, and he got me permission to trap the line down there. It was a great gig, did it for about 5 years then he sold that area. So now he operates in Alberta only and specializes in bighorns. Hes been in the business all his life and knows what hes doing. Good luck!
https://www.franksimpsonoutfitting.com
Posted By: James

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:08 AM

For as much money as you'd spend on a guided sheep hunt, you could go to Africa and shoot a dozen animals.

Jim
Posted By: adam m

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:12 AM

Can't offer much help, but nm will refund your draw application fee if unsuccessful. Northern NM has stellar sheep. Looks like an average of $6500 guided.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:14 AM

how old are you ?

how much disposable income do you have access to?

I saw a cancelation hunt last season in Canada, and it was only 40k.

I think you can just buy a hunt in Canada, and mexico, the states? probably not going to happen.

MT Odds

They have some unlimited units in MT, one of my good friends whacked one last year opening morning, 20 minutes from his house. But you have to be an iron man, fearless from grizz, and lucky. But its probably your best shot unless you just hit the lottery.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:29 AM

As asked above age amount you have to spend all factor into the choice. 3 state off the top of my head that vetting into the game now would be (hopefully you applied for Colorado this year) Idaho- no points tag costs up front tho, Neveada points but they are bonus not preference nonrefundable lic fee but only 16 bucks to apply after that, then Oregon nonrefundable lic fee but only 10 to apply and no points but not alot of tags

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:41 AM

Income- certainly not the $30-40,000 that some hunts cost. I'm looking for the catagory Adam m mentioned....
Age- 34

Also, I'm certainly not asking for gps coordinates to a specific spot or anything, ha, just info like you have been giving. How different states operate or guides you have dealt with. I will certainly look into the options mentioned as well as any that follow.

Thank you for everything thus far!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 02:44 AM

Pm me if you want more info on Nevada
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 03:43 AM

If there’s seriously a guide out there charging $30,000 or more for a sheep hunt he needs to give his head a shake! And the people paying that money to hunt one needs to give their head a shake too.
I bet these guys laugh at people for buying essential oils and iPads.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 03:56 AM

I've gone elk hunting, I can be sure mountain goats n big horns are safe from me lol

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Jurassic Park
If there’s seriously a guide out there charging $30,000 or more for a sheep hunt he needs to give his head a shake! And the people paying that money to hunt one needs to give their head a shake too.
I bet these guys laugh at people for buying essential oils and iPads.

If you can FIND an outfitter that will give you a sheep hunt for $30,000 you'd best check him out good. Sheep hunts are expensive now, stone hunts up here in a good area will cost you $50 K. The good outfitters are booked up years in advance even at those prices.

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 05:06 AM

I should have said you could shoot two dozen animals in Africa.

Jim
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 11:42 AM

Not trying to derail this thread, only answering the guy who thinks the sheep hunt for 30 k is crazy, LOL

I had an offer in my mail the other day for a Utah elk hunt by a reputable outfitter from Arizona for 25k for a five day hunt, another for 35k for a 7 day hunt for only a 350 bull, yea private ground and land owner permit, but elk ??? Now this is crazy for me cause I live here, and know both areas, but it's peoples money who can afford to it, and private ground who use it for this !

So prices for sheep for 30k is not so unreal if your really into a good outfit and area, Grizzly bear for non-residents are not cheap either, most go for over 15k any more without a blink !!
Posted By: bass10

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 11:54 AM

Just my 2 cents but "shooting" animals in Africa is hardly hunting, IMO. I know quite a few guys that have gone and do go there and they practically shoot whatever they want? The Ram hunt is my dream hunt as well but I just won't see that in my lifetime at age 52 my window is closing or closed and the money is just above what I could pay.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 12:35 PM

Why not look into Montana for a tag? Not sure how many etc. for non residents tags they issue. I have a real good friend that takes some folks out and is very successful with who he takes. I have went along on a few hunt with him and has always got the person an animal.

I would research online about MT and see if it would work for you. If you decide to come to MT I maybe able to give a name of a low key guide that actually does it for a living and I doubt he charges 30G for his service.

With mountain sheep you generally hunt between the Elk country and the mountain Goat country. Your not at the top the mountain and your not on the bottom of the mountain. It is a hard hunt but not even close to a Mountain Goat hunt
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: James
For as much money as you'd spend on a guided sheep hunt, you could go to Africa and shoot a dozen animals.

Jim

For the cost of a bighorn hunt. You could shoot the Big 5 in Africa. But I would rather harvest the bighorn. Or mountain goat. Those are 2 critters that will never happen for me @ this point. I’ve been to RSA twice. For plains game.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 01:00 PM

That's just it, your not going to draw a tag in the states unless its through a random draw, and while those odds are better than the powerball odds, there's still guys that got the sheep bug 30 years ago and havnt sniffed a tag yet.

1. Set up an application account, and have one of the Tag services put you in for every possible tag in the states.

2. Get a couple extra jobs, and start saving. You'll save up 40k faster than you'll draw a tag.

3. Get gym membership and start training, go hunt the MT unlimited units while your waiting to save and draw.

A guy just might hang a sheep on the wall if you go at it like this.
Posted By: furiousfarmer

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 01:06 PM

Not trying to brag or rub your nose in it but I drew a bighorn tag this year in Colorado. I'm pretty excited about it. Going to take horses in and start scouting in June.
Posted By: bowbrown

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 01:46 PM

Magnum have you looked into an auodad hunt. They call it the poor mans sheep hunt. I would like to go after one maybe in a couple years because I know that I can't afford a bighorn hunt.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/21/18 11:22 PM

How much does it cost the outfitter to bring you on that $30-$50k hunt? Use your head! They might feed you a couple meals each day, but that can of pork n beans and bag of potatoes is pretty cheap at Walmart!

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 12:04 AM

How much does it cost the outfitter to bring you on that $30-$50k hunt? Use your head! They might feed you a couple meals each day, but that can of pork n beans and bag of potatoes is pretty cheap at Walmart!

Huh?? You obviously dont know much about the business. I've been in it for 30-plus years. So many expenses I couldnt name them all, but think about keeping 30 head of horses all year, trucks, trailers, repair bills, guides wages ( anywhere from 250 -450 a day). In our country there is air charter costs on top of all the rest. I know outfitters that spend $200 k a year just on air charters. Then of course there is insurance ( a big one) in some areas they have to pay park fees, firewood permits, lease fees on camps, and even water use permits, and thats just the tip of the iceberg. Outfitters are not getting rich believe me. Just advertising for one year can cost 50K plus. The SCI show alone will set you back 20k. Up here a good hunting area will set you back 1.5 to 7 million. Hunting isn't cheap anymore. Last winter every one of the big sheep tags sold for over 200K....thats just for the tag! The buyers still have to hire an outfitter.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 12:29 AM

Send into all the states that you can afford . Alberta and B.C have bighorns but your odds of getting a sheep are just as good in the states if you draw a tag.Join FNAWS and ck into every raffle with your budget.
If nothing else hunt MT> unlimited areas. It can be done!
!

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: handitrapper
Originally Posted By: James

Jim

For the cost of a bighorn hunt. You could shoot the Big 5 in Africa. But I would rather harvest the bighorn. Or mountain goat. Those are 2 critters that will never happen for me @ this point. I’ve been to RSA twice. For plains game.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

I have a mountain goat and Dall's sheep on the wall, and at my age I appreciate the less-physically-demanding hunting in Africa. The most demanding part is the long flight there.

Have to quibble with your numbers though. An elephant costs $30k and up, depending on tusk size. Figure $15k for the buffalo, $50 and up for a good lion, $35k+ for leopard, and $100+k for a rhino. Most rhinos these days are shot "catch-and-release" with dart guns for much less.

Still, you can do a RSA plains game hunt for multiple species for $10-15k.

My sheep and goat hunts were do-it-youself hunts years ago, since I was in better shape then, and had too many financial obligations for a guided hunt. I've been on five sheep hunts, but one goat hunt was enough for me.

Recently, I hunted Africa for ten species of game, including kudu, sable, and buffalo, for less than the amounts quoted here for a guided sheep hunt. Still, going after mountain sheep is the ultimate hunting experience. I wish the best of luck to anyone who tries it.

Jim

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 02:26 AM

To each their own as the saying goes. Spending the 30k+ for a hunt of any sort is simply out of the question for me. Are the hunts priced that high worth it? Apparently they are for some. I'm not going to knock an outfitter for where they set their prices. As for Africa, I'm sure more critters could be taken for the same price as a single critter hunt in the US. I'm more of a 'home turf' kinda guy. I'll stick to this continent for the time being. The options are unlimited as are the prices associated with them.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 02:38 AM

You can quibble if you want. I only spent around 15k for both trips together. Wife included. If you know the right people. RSA is very inexpensive.

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: handitrapper
You can quibble if you want. I only spent around 15k for both trips together. Wife included. If you know the right people. RSA is very inexpensive.

You were talking about the Big Five, so I gave the numbers for the Big Five, last I heard. There is no way you can hunt the Big Five for the price of a sheep hunt, not even close.

Jim

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 03:00 AM

A buddy just got back from his third trip to Africa. This last trip cost him $1600 USD. He got it at an auction at SCI

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 03:38 AM

I have a mountain goat and Dall's sheep on the wall, and at my age I appreciate the less-physically-demanding hunting in Africa. The most demanding part is the long flight there.

Have to quibble with your numbers though. An elephant costs $30k and up, depending on tusk size. Figure $15k for the buffalo, $50 and up for a good lion, $35k+ for leopard, and $100+k for a rhino. Most rhinos these days are shot "catch-and-release" with dart guns for much less.

Still, you can do a RSA plains game hunt for multiple species for $10-15k.

My sheep and goat hunts were do-it-youself hunts years ago, since I was in better shape then, and had too many financial obligations for a guided hunt. I've been on five sheep hunts, but one goat hunt was enough for me.

Recently, I hunted Africa for ten species of game, including kudu, sable, and buffalo, for less than the amounts quoted here for a guided sheep hunt. Still, going after mountain sheep is the ultimate hunting experience. I wish the best of luck to anyone who tries it.

Jim[/quote]

One goat hunt is enough for any man. LOL Mountain Goat hunts I have been on are the most physical demanding and dangerous hunt I have been involved with. No room for weak and wusses for those hunts. LOL
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 11:30 AM

Depends on where you tag out at, here there are places that you can walk off the road and tag out, takes about an hour, your not out of breath, your hunting and your easily bringing your game back.

Not all hunts are equal in attaining success however the success is the same for most when reached !

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 11:45 AM

^ that would be the goat hunt to sign up for. LOL

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 12:19 PM

I agree, if I was filthy arse rich I'd do a sheep hunt but not going to knock back retiring at a good age to do it. As for AFrica, that'd be a good experience but not a challenging hunt. I will take my Turkey, Deer and pheasant hunting over any expense in Africa. Nothing wrong with those that do but that's just my opinion.
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 12:33 PM

Unless you have expierenced Africa and the North American hunting it is impossible to judge the expierence

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: luvcanids
Unless you have expierenced Africa and the North American hunting it is impossible to judge the expierence

Not saying the experience wouldn't be absolutely awesome but as far as a challenge I don't believe for a minute that a trophy whitetail or turkey is not more of a hunt than African animals. My buddy that sold his company for 40 million goes and has gone about every year and shoots about any animal he wants. I honestly can't say he's ever not shot what he was after? He obviously loves it over there but he hardly hunts the rut or turkey hunts anymore.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 05:41 PM

Good Luck man!

Hopefully one day I can afford to go the guided route in Canada. I talked to some folks that are familiar with the ins and outs of Big Horn hunts in the States and I decided it would be better for me to save the money it would take accumulating points.

I will be thrilled to someday hunt moose.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 07:00 PM

If you want a wild sheep hunt and could forget the bighorn part of it. An Alaskan dall hunt would be much more economic and equally satisfying. I could put you in touch with the fella I used to guide with.
Posted By: white17

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: yukon254

Huh?? You obviously dont know much about the business. I've been in it for 30-plus years. So many expenses I couldnt name them all, but think about keeping 30 head of horses all year, trucks, trailers, repair bills, guides wages ( anywhere from 250 -450 a day). In our country there is air charter costs on top of all the rest. I know outfitters that spend $200 k a year just on air charters. Then of course there is insurance ( a big one) in some areas they have to pay park fees, firewood permits, lease fees on camps, and even water use permits, and thats just the tip of the iceberg. Outfitters are not getting rich believe me. Just advertising for one year can cost 50K plus. The SCI show alone will set you back 20k. Up here a good hunting area will set you back 1.5 to 7 million. Hunting isn't cheap anymore. Last winter every one of the big sheep tags sold for over 200K....thats just for the tag! The buyers still have to hire an outfitter.

X2 !!

If you were looking for a Dall sheep i could point you in the right direction for about 20K
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 08:14 PM

When I hunt sheep I try and get one between the highway fence and road! grin
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: crowheart
When I hunt sheep I try and get one between the highway fence and road! grin

That's my kind of pack out!

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 10:54 PM

Isn't this the guy that was spending 3k on a mattress?
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 11:05 PM

You do know sheep are morons? I should know. I've hunted them enough.
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/22/18 11:53 PM

It gets bad when the moose are by your cabin!
Posted By: white17

Re: Planning a "Dream Hunt"..... - 05/23/18 12:10 AM

That's a sad looking critter !!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums