Home

First time I've seen a Tom do this

Posted By: BullOx

First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 09:33 AM

I was calling in this tom from about 100 yards and he was coming in on a string, then 3 jakes come out of no where, he takes off running away! Anyone else ever seen a Tom back down to jakes?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 09:34 AM

Yep, saw 2 Jakes chase off a Tom once then they went at it for a bit.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 10:14 AM

yes mad
Posted By: marathonman

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 10:58 AM

more times than I wanted to...jakes will gang up on single mature birds from time to time..it has ruined my set-up many times
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 11:46 AM

Last year me and a buddy had 2 toms hung up, 4 jakes came running in, them toms cut them off and 1 Tom whooped all 4 jakes! Was one of the coolest things I ever seen. Unfortunately we did not get an oppertunity to shoot anything. The woods were real loud for a few minutes though lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 12:40 PM

Sometimes they're spooky like that.
Posted By: Rye

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 01:14 PM

I don't know how many Jakes it would take to whoop that Tom, but I know how many they were going to use.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 01:41 PM

That's why I quit using a jake decoy about 15 years ago. Had a longbeard almost in range, three jakes came from the opposite direction and as soon as they saw him they took off after him, running him off. Luckily for me he snuck back in about a half hour later, but as soon as he saw my jake decoy he turned around to bolt. Unfortunately for him he noticed it too late.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 01:46 PM

Good read. Not being a turkey hunter I was a little confused at first. I thought he meant Tom as in bobcat. I'm still working on my first cup of coffee though. crazy

Turkeys are some cool birds. Appear outta no-where, and disappear the same.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Rye
I don't know how many Jakes it would take to whoop that Tom, but I know how many they were going to use.

Extra points for the Ron White reference!

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 03:36 PM

Got my turkey this morning, had a hen and jake decoy out, first a hen came in to the decoys then the tom wasn't far behind, he strutted and come up to my jake to fight and the hen flew off. Two other toms watched from 50 yards out when i shot him
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 03:44 PM

We live in a modern world and those Jake's might be gender confused and the old Tom don't play that way.

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: racerboy108
We live in a modern world and those Jake's might be gender confused and the old Tom don't play that way.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile lol
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 03:56 PM

very seldom but theres power in numbers! I've saw two year olds do it numerous times lol and they fight dirty!
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hutchy
Originally Posted By: Rye

Extra points for the Ron White reference!
LOL THEY WHIPPED THE TATOR!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/25/18 06:26 PM

Have seen similar as the OP described quite a few times. Have seen it work the other way too. Am dealing with a boss bird and a gaggle of two year olds right now and the boss bird has the two yer olds scared of their own shadow. They hear a hen, real one or a call, they run away. They are all long beards but will not gobble or strut.

Turkeys...never say always and never say never.

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/26/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: QuietButDeadly
Have seen similar as the OP described quite a few times. Have seen it work the other way too. Am dealing with a boss bird and a gaggle of two year olds right now and the boss bird has the two yer olds scared of their own shadow. They hear a hen, real one or a call, they run away. They are all long beards but will not gobble or strut.

Turkeys...never say always and never say never.

Have you tried bringing the boss in by using a gobble call?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/26/18 01:37 AM

One Jake no contest 3 jakes the tom will give way a lot of the time. 2 toms will kick a Jake bad every day of the week. 2 on one turkey fun LOL
Posted By: Tradbow1

Re: First time I've seen a Tom do this - 04/26/18 01:29 PM

Many times!

I have had them turn from a jake deke, or hold up from coming in. They like a strutter with movement, but a calm jake deke is a gamble!

Heres another odd one. Toms keying of deer! We have watched deer run toms off, deer play with birds??? It was odd as heck! My bro finally killed a particular bird, same game. Birds stopped short while the deer entered. Tom walked out silent.

I have had a similar scenario in ks unfold. Birds following deer.... it was extremely odd.

Missing bird season this year! Its been awhile since I’ve missed chasing gobblers!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums