Home

Loss of support

Posted By: SleekOtter

Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:20 PM

Can anybody give me a well-thought explanation as to why just because a business does not support one's political beliefs that they stop patronizing it? I understand some businesses not supporting our Constitutional rights because those are fundamental and a pretty big deal.

My concern is when say a little ma and pop store or say a clothing company lets it slip that they endorse the Democratic party, or maybe somebody finds out an owner or CEO had an abortion. Maybe they are anti-hunting or support homosexuals. Why should the business suffer just because of the political alignment?

I honestly could not care less about the political standpoint of a company if they make a quality product that serves the intended purpose. Make great boots that are bulletproof but the CEO funded Hillary Clinton. Who cares? Ma and Pa General Store makes great sandwiches for your lunch and are always friendly but you found out recently they do not support trappers? Who cares?

I get that in a very roundabout way you are "funding against yourself" by purchasing from them but a business needs to cover overhead and several other expenses before they can start to pay for a Democrat's campaign or PETA's crusade against hunters. Honestly, the amount of money you are refusing to spend probably pale in comparison anyway to what makes a measurable difference. If a product is worthwhile and brings me 100% satisfaction then why should I deprive myself of it and them of the money just to find an inferior product for the sake of proving a point or the principle of it?

I'm Conservative and bleed red white and blue like most of you on here but I think people have started to go too far lately in proving their political allegiance.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:26 PM

Starvation is a great impetus for a change in political philosophy. I do not knowingly do willing transactions with anti-freedom people, if you do that's great, too. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:30 PM

Starving someone to make them think like you is in-democratic.It is what the antis try to do to trappers.They don't like how we think so they want to force us to change to think like them.
Posted By: corky

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:32 PM

I really don't care about an individual's position but if a company makes a political statement then I hold them accountable, pro or con. Make your product, sell it, I'll buy it. Make a statement unrelated to your product then I will consider that statement in my buying decision since you have made it a part of the equation.

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Starvation is a great impetus for a change in political philosophy. I do not knowingly do willing transactions with anti-freedom people, if you do that's great, too. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Anti-freedom people? They could and do say the same thing about why they are pro-abortion. They want the freedom for the woman to do what she wants with her body but Conservatives are trying to restrict that freedom. Just an idea, not an argument.

Some people are so narrow minded that they would starve themselves by boycotting every business that didn't reflect their views.

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: corky
I really don't care about an individual's position but if a company makes a political statement then I hold then accountable, pro or con. Make your product, sell it, I'll buy it. Make a statement unrelated to your product then I will consider that statement in my buying decision since you have made it a part of the equation.

I do agree with this
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:35 PM

i refuse to support my enemies.if a like minded person doesn't have it,i don't need it.a lot of people would rather turn a blind eye to make life easier.the easy way will kill both sides eventually though.

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:38 PM

Yes, anti-freedom people. It is up to me to decide what anti-freedom means, and I use my own judgement on where and with whom to transact with. Basic common sense, really.
Posted By: petehall

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:39 PM

SleekOtter
I agree 100% with your thinking
This is America and we all have different opinions
That's what makes us the GREATEST country
Posted By: EdP

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 09:45 PM

I'm with Corky. Just do your business and I will do my business with you. Take a stand supporting interests that conflict with my interests and I am unlikely to support your ability to do so. It takes extra money for a business to support political interests that conflict with my interests, and none of that money will come from me if I consider the issue important.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 10:06 PM

I swore an oath to the constitution. If you support my enumerated rights, I am ok with you. If you publicly oppose my enumerated rights, I'm not OK with you. If you keep your mouth shut, I will go the best deal for me on whatever you are selling.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 10:30 PM

Hey Boco, newsflash the United States is not a democracy. It's a representative republic.
Posted By: keets

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: corky
I really don't care about an individual's position but if a company makes a political statement then I hold them accountable, pro or con. Make your product, sell it, I'll buy it. Make a statement unrelated to your product then I will consider that statement in my buying decision since you have made it a part of the equation.

EXACTLY
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:01 PM

If they openly state they will no longer carry ?, because they don't like them or think it's morally wrong, to prevent ME from doing/using it, they're history.
Posted By: goldy

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:14 PM

You'd be an absolute fool to knowingly give somebody ammunition that could be used against you.

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: goldy
You'd be an absolute fool to knowingly give somebody ammunition that could be used against you.

I just don't think we need to go so far as to divide ourselves further all because somebody does something you don't agree with. I do agree that if a company is openly throwing their political agenda around then there is an issue. If the company does a couple things and are Democratic by nature or conservative by nature but don't throw their agenda around then I believe it should not matter. My job pays me to work and do my job, what I do with my money is my business and they can't stop paying me because they don't agree with my political views. I know that analogy is different than voluntarily purchasing good or services, but it's just for illustration purposes.

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:25 PM

Put whatever spin on it you want,you"er a democracy since you have democratic elections.

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SleekOtter
Originally Posted By: goldy

I just don't think we need to go so far as to divide ourselves further all because somebody does something you don't agree with. I do agree that if a company is openly throwing their political agenda around then there is an issue. If the company does a couple things and are Democratic by nature or conservative by nature but don't throw their agenda around then I believe it should not matter. My job pays me to work and do my job, what I do with my money is my business and they can't stop paying me because they don't agree with my political views. I know that analogy is different than voluntarily purchasing good or services, but it's just for illustration purposes.
This world isn't what it used to be, and it will never be the same. The good old days are no more. Gone are the days where everybody just wants to get along in the U.S.. That's about as simple as I can put it. But if you believe in the bible, and it's prophecies, it shouldn't surprise you. It sure doesn't surprise me.
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:39 PM

Money is Free Speech !
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:41 PM

Simple
Because I have that choice!
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Loss of support - 04/18/18 11:53 PM

Can anybody give me a well-thought explanation as to why just because a business does not support one's political beliefs that they stop patronizing it? I understand some businesses not supporting our Constitutional rights because those are fundamental and a pretty big deal.

My concern is when say a little ma and pop store or say a clothing company lets it slip that they endorse the Democratic party, or maybe somebody finds out an owner or CEO had an abortion. Maybe they are anti-hunting or support homosexuals. Why should the business suffer just because of the political alignment?

I honestly could not care less about the political standpoint of a company if they make a quality product that serves the intended purpose. Make great boots that are bulletproof but the CEO funded Hillary Clinton. Who cares? Ma and Pa General Store makes great sandwiches for your lunch and are always friendly but you found out recently they do not support trappers? Who cares?

I get that in a very roundabout way you are "funding against yourself" by purchasing from them but a business needs to cover overhead and several other expenses before they can start to pay for a Democrat's campaign or PETA's crusade against hunters. Honestly, the amount of money you are refusing to spend probably pale in comparison anyway to what makes a measurable difference. If a product is worthwhile and brings me 100% satisfaction then why should I deprive myself of it and them of the money just to find an inferior product for the sake of proving a point or the principle of it?

I'm Conservative and bleed red white and blue like most of you on here but I think people have started to go too far lately in proving their political allegiance.

What you are asking about here are businesses being punished for the private thoughts of the owners/employees...and not endorsements made in the name of the business. Why does this happen. The answer is pretty simple: because people who pretend to love this country, really hate it. They can't tolerate the free thought of others. These types can be found on the extreme left and extreme right.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco
Put whatever spin on it you want,you"er a democracy since you have democratic elections.

Some are, some arent.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:04 AM

Ive always not done business with company's i deem not worthy of my dollars, way way back before it was the thing to do.

Why support someone who is against everything im for?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:08 AM

Jimmy Kimmel Bashes Trump every single night.....I change the channel ...every single night

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Hey Boco, newsflash the United States is not a democracy. It's a representative republic.

This is just a silly statement. First of all "representative republic" is redundant. Secondly, a republic is still a form of government under the umbrella of democracy. To argue otherwise is uneducated.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:19 AM

Those companies you choose to turn a blind eye to will in turn take your money and bend you over ( figuratively ) by funding all kinds of political agendas that destroy your freedoms and promote liberalism

They bank on people not taking a stand , and will laugh in your face if you do

You can choose not to concern yourself with seemingly trivial issues , but then you can't complain with the eventual results

Think of it as voting with your wallet
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Originally Posted By: warrior

This is just a silly statement. First of all "representative republic" is redundant. Secondly, a republic is still a form of government under the umbrella of democracy. To argue otherwise is uneducated.

Not quite...more than a few governments call themselves republics, but are basically dictatorships or one-party rule states. We've went to far on the path of going towards a democracy and away from a republic.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 12:59 AM

Acceptance is killing this country. I am proud to separate my self from people and businesses that don't share my views.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
[quote=pass-thru]
Not quite...more than a few governments call themselves republics, but are basically dictatorships or one-party rule states. We've went to far on the path of going towards a democracy and away from a republic.

I can run around calling myself a "cat" but hat won't make me a cat. A republic is a democracy where people elect representatives that form the government. Democracy is government by the people, typically through elected representatives. See the overlap.

The parliamentary system also has elected representatives, but if there is still a monarch it is not a republic.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 01:14 AM

It is my belief that we are a constitutional republic...In a true democracy the elected officials wouldn't be bound by the constitution....Wait a minute, heck the way the politicians ignore the constitution, we may be a democracy after all!
Posted By: charles

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 01:52 AM

I have never smoked but grew up in a family who depended on tobacco farming. I very much dislike tobacco but I own stock in a tobacco company that pays an excellent dividend.

A lot of people vote their pocketbook at election time when their livelyhood is at risk.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter
It is my belief that we are a constitutional republic...In a true democracy the elected officials wouldn't be bound by the constitution....Wait a minute, heck the way the politicians ignore the constitution, we may be a democracy after all!

It looks like to me that Boco unwittingly hit the nail on the head. With the gradual dilution of our constitutional republic rule of laws, we have become a democracy where 2 coyotes and a lamb vote on what's for dinner.
Posted By: K52

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 02:52 AM

Why would I fund anyone that wants to destroy my way of life.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: 52Carl
Originally Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

It looks like to me that Boco unwittingly hit the nail on the head. With the gradual dilution of our constitutional republic rule of laws, we have become a democracy where 2 coyotes and a lamb vote on what's for dinner.
Precisely, not exactly what the founding fathers envisioned IMO.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 02:14 PM

Corky has it about right and thats the way I seat as well.
Posted By: Cole semo

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: pcr2
i refuse to support my enemies.if a like minded person doesn't have it,i don't need it.a lot of people would rather turn a blind eye to make life easier.the easy way will kill both sides eventually though.

Those you disagree with are not your enemies. That mentality does away with any chance of having a civil discussion.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 02:59 PM

I disagree with anti trappers and they are my enemy anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole semo

Those you disagree with are not your enemies. That mentality does away with any chance of having a civil discussion.

Let's see here, I disagree with the progressive agenda that I am constantly bombarded with about LGBT, illegal immigrants, race, PC, anti hunting-fishing-trapping and my second amendment rights. Anyone that promotes those things is darn sure my enemy, I'll have nothing to do with them or their business's and I could care less about having a civil discussion with them. They have values that are contrary to everything I believe in, they want to destroy my way of life, that sounds like a pretty good definition for my enemies.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Cole semo

BS

Fence riders are useless

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: K52

Let's see here, I disagree with the progressive agenda that I am constantly bombarded with about LGBT, illegal immigrants, race, PC, anti hunting-fishing-trapping and my second amendment rights. Anyone that promotes those things is darn sure my enemy, I'll have nothing to do with them or their business's and I could care less about having a civil discussion with them. They have values that are contrary to everything I believe in, they want to destroy my way of life, that sounds like a pretty good definition for my enemies.

Would you not want to try to have a civil discussion and maybe learn something? Just because you don't agree with their points of view and they are "destroying your way of life" does not mean they don't have something intelligent to say. A lot of people may not have an intelligent argument and you absolutely have the right to live your life how you choose, right or wrong. I would only hope that one would wish to try to have a civil discussion once in a while with the hopes of learning something or changing somebody else's mind.

Besides, is it not hypocritical to say you will not tolerate certain views of others but everything should bend to your way of living and thinking? That is after all the same exact reason a lot of Conservatives are calling the Democratic party the Nazi party lately.

Not an attack, just an open thought.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 09:15 PM

For me it's not political, it's about actions. If a company like Dick's comes out of the closet like they did, I will boycott them. Same as I do for actors, singers, etc, including politicians. I for one would love a "civil" discussion but now that's easier said then done because you cannot inject reason and facts into a emotion based ideology. The world is changing, time to pick a side. Freedom gobblers suck!!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 09:40 PM

They can believe what they want, it's their choice, but when they give money to causes I disagree with, that's where my wallet goes back into my pocket.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 11:49 PM

You managed to get hypocritical and Nazi in a reply to my post and then state it's not an attack just an open thought. I like how you added the words right or wrong to how I choose to live. Nice touch. In your opening post you said your satisfaction was more important to you than your principles when you spend your money. My principles are more important to me than that. You seem to think progressive people have something to offer you, maybe they do. You seem willing to compromise your beliefs, I won't.

Re: Loss of support - 04/19/18 11:54 PM

Page 3, the Nazis are intoduced.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 12:02 AM

Yes, anti-freedom people. It is up to me to decide what anti-freedom means, and I use my own judgement on where and with whom to transact with. Basic common sense, really.
Exactly Rght

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: K52
You managed to get hypocritical and Nazi in a reply to my post and then state it's not an attack just an open thought. I like how you added the words right or wrong to how I choose to live. Nice touch. In your opening post you said your satisfaction was more important to you than your principles when you spend your money. My principles are more important to me than that. You seem to think progressive people have something to offer you, maybe they do. You seem willing to compromise your beliefs, I won't.

Well, this was a civil discussion until you turned it around with this post by apparently choosing to take offense to it. Thank you for your contributions until this point.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 12:31 AM

Right On Buck, just next time say B.O. as in body odor when bringing up osamabinovomit
Posted By: tjm

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 12:57 AM

I get that in a very roundabout way you are "funding against yourself" by purchasing from them but ...
See, this your great misconception; there is np roundabpot way involved.
This is where you were in the third grade and the fat kid knocked you down and took your lunch and now you give him an extra dollar so he can buy dessert to go with your lunch.

Shoot yourself in a foot a see that it bleeds so do it one more time just to double check that it bleeds. Pure and simple it is self abuse.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 01:24 AM

I deleted my post because I didn't think I stayed on topic and wandered to far off the subject.Times have changed Sleekotter,everything has become political anymore.They're progessives,we're not.They're on the offense and we're on the defense.You cannot compromise with this bunch.They're is no common ground.They'd like to see our ways disappear and we're fighting to keep them.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck (Zandra)
I deleted my post because I didn't think I stayed on topic and wandered to far off the subject.Times have changed Sleekotter,everything has become political anymore.They're progessives,we're not.They're on the offense and we're on the defense.You cannot compromise with this bunch.They're is no common ground.They'd like to see our ways disappear and we're fighting to keep them.

100% true
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:13 AM

Much of the democratic party's leadership has moved so far away from the center that they truly are the enemy. This is why the democrats have lost much of their more intelligent, non-corrupted, blue collar, political base. Most regular Americans see the democrats as the party of communists, socialists, white race haters, the sexually confused, flag hating, soldier hating, police hating, gun hating, constitution hating, illegal immigrant loving, welfare, lazy, scum of the earth.

I suspect a new, more moderate, political party will form and that the fringe element, that has taken control of the democratic party, will lose power.

I choose not to financially support people, who support people, I despise. To do otherwise would be foolish. I want to see life improve for all Americans. I do not want to give aid to America's enemies.

Keith

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
Much of the democratic party's leadership has moved so far away from the center that they truly are the enemy. This is why the democrats have lost much of their more intelligent, non-corrupted, blue collar, political base. Most regular Americans see the democrats as the party of communists, socialists, white race haters, the sexually confused, flag hating, soldier hating, police hating, gun hating, constitution hating, illegal immigrant loving, welfare, lazy, scum of the earth.

I suspect a new, more moderate, political party will form and that the fringe element, that has taken control of the democratic party, will lose power.

I choose not to financially support people, who support people, I despise.

Keith
It isn't just the Dems moving left. So are the Republicans. The constitution and the bible used to be the way of life for most Republicans, at least if they didn't live that way they still had great respect for both. Now those values seem to be slipping away alarmingly fast.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:20 AM

What's the term for that ?

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:30 AM

I was thinking the other day to myself how it's sad that my first thought when I run into somebody now it seems you can almost tell whether they are Dem or Rep just by the first two sentences out of their mouth. Stereotypical, most likely. Right, probably not. But it is a way I catch myself thinking more and more and it's kind of scary.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:37 AM

It isn't scary or sterotypical, it is making a judgement. Judgements are made every minute of our lives. They are what keep us alive. It is good that you are doing this. There are many that want you to have less freedom. There are also many that pipe freedom songs from one side of their mouth while being a first class statist out the other side. Spend your money how you like.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:40 AM

lol

There isn't a "like" or "dislike" to click on this forum. Where is the suggestion box ?

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:42 AM

There was actually a term and a study on this. That once an argument goes on, its just a matter of time until the Nazi card is dropped.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

What's the term for that ?

Godwin's Law.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:43 AM

I am quite sure there is an algorithm .

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:45 AM

Godwin's Law !! Thank you !

Godwin ...sounds Zionist.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 02:59 AM

It seems that this discussion has drifted to businesses that have taken political positions in the name of the business. That is different than the question asked by the OP.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 04:14 AM

Third paragraph OP brings up the company stand. Said he could care less if they opposed his view politically.

Re: Loss of support - 04/20/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Aaron Proffitt
Godwin's Law !! Thank you !

Godwin ...sounds Zionist.
Twas only a mathematical thing, didn't speak to the validity of such comparisons
Quote:
“As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.”
© 2024 Trapperman Forums