Home

Groenewold fur pickup Georgia/ SC - how'd it go?

Posted By: bur

Groenewold fur pickup Georgia/ SC - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 03:14 AM

Anyone sell to gfw in Valdosta this afternoon? I know Swampwolf will see them tomorrow morning and I'll meet them in sc tomorrow afternoon. Just anxious to see how it went.
Posted By: SemperFi

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 04:34 AM

I’m wanting to know myself. I’m headed down to Perry in the morning with some beaver. Only thing I heard from Valdosta was $1 - $3 on coons and $10 - $30 on cats.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 04:59 AM

Hard to imagine a $10 bobcat.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Yotegiter
Hard to imagine a $10 bobcat.

Harder for me to imagine a $500 bobcat. Couple years back I sold a bobcat for $94 through NAFA but I figured that was about as good as it gets for us southeastern guys.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 02:13 PM

bur when cats got good three years back I sold a pile at nafa between 100 to 200 bucks on some large toms and some smaller cats that graded south western. Know one guy who sold two MS. cats on that last sale for 50 and 70. I do believe that 200 dollar cats is history I might not see again.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 02:27 PM

Just got back from Perry. Averaged about $10.25 on put up beaver. $16 on the blankets, $10 and $11 on most, and $6 on the little ones.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 02:35 PM

Thanks for the update. Any idea on green beaver and put up otter?

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SemperFi
Just got back from Perry. Averaged about $10.25 on put up beaver. $16 on the blankets, $10 and $11 on most, and $6 on the little ones.

Do you know what other hides did on the put ups?

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/24/18 10:12 PM

How did y’all do in South Carolina?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 12:57 AM

Valdosta stop:

Green & Frozen:
Beaver - $9 to $3....my avg: $7.29 for 28.
Otter - $35 to $10....my avg: $22.96 for 27.

Put Up Fur:
Bobcat - $40 to $10...my avg: $25 for 8.
Grey Fox - $10 to $8...my avg: $8.50 for 20.
Coyote - $25 for the only one I took time to skin and flesh.
Coons - $10 to $1...my avg: $2.43 for 60 that were stale. I put all these coon up a year ago.

Total was higher than I was expecting as my otters were green (I usually put them up). I only had 8 kitties and 3 were cloudy belly females. All my coons were last season's keepers that I should have shipped last spring.

Hope GFWC keeps coming to Georgia. This is keeping some of us in the game.

Thanks Gary!

Btw, Bur..I had a cat back about 2010 or 2011 that I caught about 8 miles from the Florida line that sold at NAFA for $180. He was exceptional. I've had dozens go for over $100 back during that last boom.

We may not see that again....

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 01:30 AM

Thanks man.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 02:40 AM

Columbia SC Stop

Green/ Frozen

Beaver $9 - $3 avg $7 for 17 total
Otter $22 - $15 avg $18.50 for 2 total (one was kit)

Put Up

Bobcat $50 - $15 avg $32 for 3 total
Otter $35 - $20 avg $26 for 10 total

Overall I was pretty happy with the prices. Was hoping to average a little more on the green beaver but I had a fair amount of smaller ones. Thought I would be closer to $30 average on the put up otters but like Swamp said, I'm happy GFWC is making the rounds down south.

Gary was very nice to deal with and I wish I had more time to talk to him about fur in general. I am looking forward to dealing with them more in the future as this was my first time selling to the "rat wagon". Thank you Gary Groenewold for making the trip, it not only benefits us as individual but also the southern trapping community.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Btw, Bur..I had a cat back about 2010 or 2011 that I caught about 8 miles from the Florida line that sold at NAFA for $180. He was exceptional. I've had dozens go for over $100 back during that last boom.

We may not see that again....

Yes I agree, I talked with a guy today at our stop from the Ridgeland area (about 30 minutes from Savannah). He was telling me about $200 otter and averages over $100 on otter . . . I would love to see that again! Interestingly, he also had 3 mink, caught in SC. I made a post a while back about mink in SC and people laughed at me. He said the coast was full of them, and that is where he caught those. I think I am goig to have to make a weekend trip to try to snag a mink, that would be pretty neat. Bad thing was he averaged $4 on those 3 mink.

Had a pretty good turnout today, was nice to chat with other trappers and meet some new people. THere were a fair amount of coon sold, but I didn't get any averages. I am curious on those coons prices. Anyone?
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a few of you southern boys did ok. Also sounds like Groeny may have provided another avenue to sell furs for some. All around good to hear.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 05:34 AM

Mr. Lewing and his wife ran the Arkansas route for GFWC. I met them over in Searcy on the 10th. Lewing seemed pretty straight up. He gave me $7 nose count for green frozen beaver and $9 nose count for dried beaver. Thanks for sharing the prices you all received. Glad to see them down this way finally.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 09:49 AM

Question on the frozen beaver. They want them thawed out or take them hard frozen now. Used to be they wanted them thawed out. Thanks Jim
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 10:01 AM

Frozen but fold in half...fur out.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 11:55 AM

Be nice they would come on over our way. I believe they could pick up a good many hides after running this way a year or two and the word get out.
Posted By: panhead501

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 12:26 PM

Bur there are mink along the coastal areas here in SC. I see them along creeks and road kills fairly often. Never tried to trap them because of the low prices. Most people around here don't seem to know what they are and mistake them for otter.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 01:08 PM

Panhead I figured so. I saw some tracks a few years back and didn't know what they were so I looked into it and thought that they were mink. I saw an article scdnr did about mink populations on the coast and asked for some input from others from sc. nobody then seemed to know anything about them. Where you located? I'm around Walterboro.

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: cfowler
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a few of you southern boys did ok. Also sounds like Groeny may have provided another avenue to sell furs for some. All around good to hear.

Yeah I believe they are about our best option for beaver down here. Gary was a stand up guy and seemed to be straight and fair with everyone that I could see. A couple of trucks had pickup beds full of frozen beaver. Hopefully they got enough fur to make it worth their time to come down here.
Posted By: dparsons

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 08:45 PM

I sold three bobcats to fha on the march sell they were from VA one was for 180.00 one for 150.00 and one for 115.00 sold two more for 35.00 and 30.00 and the 30.00 was a 1 11 A B heavy .
Posted By: panhead501

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/25/18 09:27 PM

I am in Beaufort. We need to get together sometime.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/26/18 01:44 PM

Zach did you sell to him in Asheville?

Re: Groenewold fur pickup Georgia - how'd it go? - 03/26/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: panhead501
I am in Beaufort. We need to get together sometime.

10-4 between a 1.5 and a 3.5 yr old, and work, time is always the limiting factor. Curious about the mink you are seeing though, if they are around inland ponds and such or actually in saltwater marsh?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums