Home

Longliners, Are there any left!

Posted By: BBarnes

Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 05:12 PM

For years there were Longliners that would travel multiple counties mainly trapping raccoons and such.
Are there any left?
What changes have you made with the market the way it is?

B
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 06:23 PM

Trap check laws in some States make that impossible today time wise.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 06:37 PM

Wisconsin's made it pretty difficult to almost impossible because you need permission at all road right-of-ways. Not trying to start anything. LOL
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 06:42 PM

Yep the fact is things never get easier when the new rules come down, a perfect set up would be a 3 day check run 2 lines and handle fur on the third day!

Let the games begin! LOL
Posted By: tbn

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 07:05 PM

Even on 24's you can double your route.Luckily if I have to,I can pay $20 a day to have one line ran while I run the other,go back the next day and re-make and rotate.When it is feasible of course.There are many ways to increase production.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 08:02 PM

You guys need to stop thinking so small. LOL. "Any longliners left?" lol, LLL
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 09:28 PM

I'm still here! Lol
Posted By: JeremyEickhoff

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: LLtrapper
You guys need to stop thinking so small. LOL. "Any longliners left?" lol, LLL

Well... that is not a very nice Christian response to a honest question.

As for numbers of coon, I am sure plenty of trappers are putting up 2000 plus a season. Those 5000 plus longliners are probably far and few.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 09:52 PM

I have no idea how that statement could offend you sorry if it di. You say there are probably a lot of 2000 coon a season trappers. My question is how many do you personally know? I don't know of anyone ever over five thousand. LLL

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BBarnes
For years there were Longliners that would travel multiple counties mainly trapping raccoons and such.
Are there any left?
What changes have you made with the market the way it is?

B

I have added a line and plan to open another. If people are going to stay home when prices are low then I will move in. Once I get in it is hard to get me out. LLL
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 11:57 PM

With An average of $21.59 for Western Raccoon , and only 31 % selling; that is just 1550 out of 5000. $33,464.50. If all 5000 sold at $21.59, that would be $107,950.

A loss of $74,485.50. Anyone looking at those numbers, would not be impressed.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/23/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Canvasback2
With An average of $21.59 for Western Raccoon , and only 31 % selling; that is just 1550 out of 5000. $33,464.50. If all 5000 sold at $21.59, that would be $107,950.

A loss of $74,485.50. Anyone looking at those numbers, would not be impressed.

Where is the loss? LLL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:05 AM

LL I believe canvasback is looking at it like a contractor. You figured you would clear/make $100,00 on a project but instead you only clear/make $80,000. That would be a loss of $20,000.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:09 AM

Well heck that happens all the time to me!! Lol

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:09 AM

No that would be poor projection. If you are a retailer selling apples and you sell 31% of them on one day have you lost the other 69%? LLL
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:13 AM

While we’re at it, what exactly is a long liner? As in, how many traps do they have to set, miles to run, or whatever else it takes.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:14 AM

No that would be poor projection. If you are a retailer selling apples and you sell 31% of them on one day have you lost the other 69%? LLL
I agree but all the contractors I've worked for think like that. Lol.
Anyway keep after it. Would love to run a long line before I pass on.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:36 AM

Read were Ray Milligan had three hundred predator traps set, got dumped on by two feet of snow. Went home and got another three hundred moved to a different area and set those. Picked the others up when the snow melted. How he could remember all the locations is beyond me. Course I can't get my head around making eighty to a hundred predator sets a day either.
Posted By: bottomlot

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:38 AM

In a couple of weeks me and my brother will be running 2- 150 mile lines spring beaver trapping. Is that long? At the end of each 16 hour day it feels long.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bottomlot
In a couple of weeks me and my brother will be running 2- 150 mile lines spring beaver trapping. Is that long? At the end of each 16 hour day it feels long.

Sure sounds long to me. It may be all based on perspective and what we perceive as long...

When I retire in 13 years, my dream is do a pseudo long line... and run what I can..
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 01:22 AM

Please post a picture thread like last year!

My version of "long lining" is walking way too far to check a couple of traps for very few critters... but I love it.
Posted By: bottomlot

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 01:33 AM

Don't wait till you retire- you only have today tomorrow is not guarantied. Even if your still alive in 13 years your body won't let you run a long line. DO IT NOW!
Posted By: board stretcher

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Yep the fact is things never get easier when the new rules come down, a perfect set up would be a 3 day check run 2 lines and handle fur on the third day!

Let the games begin! LOL
this is how i do it!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 02:08 AM

Don't wait till you retire- you only have today tomorrow is not guarantied. Even if your still alive in 13 years your body won't let you run a long line. DO IT NOW!

That right there is good advise. It always tickles me when I read how someone says they are gonna tear them up "when I retire". All things being relavent, you will not feel like you do now when you retire. Your brain says you can, but the body says no way!
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: lee steinmeyer

That right there is good advise. It always tickles me when I read how someone says they are gonna tear them up "when I retire". All things being relavent, you will not feel like you do now when you retire. Your brain says you can, but the body says no way!

Well, I’ll tear them up as best I can before I retire!!!
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 03:10 AM

Wow, that's a lot of permission to get, and with State owned ROW's completely off limits now I figured it would kill spring beaver long lining too, good for you bottom lot.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 03:35 AM

It should feel long!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 04:05 AM

Long line can be subjective. Is it distance, number of traps or days, weeks or months? A person who sets say 200 coon sets over 120 miles and does that for 5 days and moves that 5 times is probably a long liner by definition for many, ditto long cat or canine lines. What about a person who sets out 200 sets for rats on open water for 2 weeks 2 miles from his house and then traps for 3 weeks through the ice with 140 sets 4 miles from his/her house? are they considered long liners? The old timers that did 12 miles per day on snowshoes and had two cabins would not be considered long liners by the definitions that many want to use today.

Bryce
Posted By: Mac

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 11:59 AM

Ain't that the truth!
Mac
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:40 PM

Maybe I should explain. I've trapped hard all my life. Started my own welding business because I wanted to trap.Believe me, Financially I'd have been better off to work and not trap, but that is what I wanted, so that is the way life went. I'm not dissing anyone who says their going to trap when they retire, I just tell people that it is a pipe dream, your body won't go that hard when your old. That said, I'm 71 now, and I just don't have the strength and drive that I had when I was 60 or 50 ,40 or 30, Every ten years takes a serious toll. I am thankfull that I have been able to trap all these years, and will take every one I can get, but you gotta be realistic! Last season I trapped all season, in two states, and went as hard as I could,, at least for the first three weeks. I caught about a quarter of what I used to catch, and it was because of age. Still love it, just can't go that hard these days!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 12:46 PM

Good stuff Lee...coming from a guy that has retirement and ....big dreams on his mind.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 01:07 PM

Wife said I should wait til I retire, I could be crippled or dead by then, I could have made more money also, but wouldn't trade all those seasons for anything
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 02:18 PM

Maybe I should explain. I've trapped hard all my life. Started my own welding business because I wanted to trap.Believe me, Financially I'd have been better off to work and not trap, but that is what I wanted, so that is the way life went. I'm not dissing anyone who says their going to trap when they retire, I just tell people that it is a pipe dream, your body won't go that hard when your old. That said, I'm 71 now, and I just don't have the strength and drive that I had when I was 60 or 50 ,40 or 30, Every ten years takes a serious toll. I am thankfull that I have been able to trap all these years, and will take every one I can get, but you gotta be realistic! Last season I trapped all season, in two states, and went as hard as I could,, at least for the first three weeks. I caught about a quarter of what I used to catch, and it was because of age. Still love it, just can't go that hard these days!
Pretty much sums it up Lee. We would have more money if we didn’t start trapping. But the memories are pretty valuable.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 02:24 PM

Every ditch and creek I trap these years feels like a "long line" LOL
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 04:06 PM

And the health benefits (if you don't drown) might be the most valuable assets about trapping. Especially as we get older. Been scraping coon and beaver just for that reason. Trapping them is the easy part.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 06:11 PM

The trick is not to wait until your all broke down to retire.Retirement in your mid 50's will give you a full pension(if you were forward thinking) also you should be debt free by then,and you should have a good 20 years to go full bore if you kept yourself in half decent shape.
However if you had a job where you were sitting on your arse for 35 years,forget it.You need to keep in good physical shape.
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 07:37 PM

If one trapper sets 100 traps yet takes the same number of coon as the guy running 200, is he still a long liner?

A long liner doesn't necesarily run a ton of traps, or cover a ton of ground. Some learn to be more efficient, run less traps, yet reach the same outcome.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Plueger
If one trapper sets 100 traps yet takes the same number of coon as the guy running 200, is he still a long liner?

A long liner doesn't necesarily run a ton of traps, or cover a ton of ground. Some learn to be more efficient, run less traps, yet reach the same outcome.

Dave,
I was wondering when you were going to join this topic. With your knowledge and experience you would know. So if you don't mind would you explain "Some learn to be more efficient". What changes????

Thanks
B

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 08:02 PM

Unless you have an extremely high pop of the target species, simply throwing traps out at every potential location won't always lead to a higher catch. Some spots may be good for a couple catches and go dead, while others will be red hot and produce consistantly. I've learned to ignore the mediocre locations and only set the hottest spots. I also switched long ago to river trapping. I didn't drive more than 30 miles a day last season, yet took over 800 coon, with an ave of 100 traps set.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 08:03 PM

Most experienced longliners already are as efficient as they are going to be. I don't think that changes because of the price. Once you find a couple things that work the best then it is simply a scale thing and of course more time and ground replicating it. LLL
Posted By: Boco

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 08:07 PM

That's the way to do it Dave,keep the expenses to a minimum,time and monetary,and catch to trap check ratio high.
Checking empty traps is a killer.
Operating in an area with liberal trap check regs and dense populations will do it for you.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 09:20 PM

Most days I have the line checked by early afternoon. I step out of the boat right at the set vs parking the truck, climbing down a ditch embankment with equip, than carrying coon back up the ditch.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 09:33 PM

Line jumper I'm pretty sure he isn't gettin permission from lamdowmers for 300 miles of trapping. It is
More then likely roads that go through national state and county land! Good for you and the long
Line, the pictures from last year were awesome! Hope the casters are still nice and plump!

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 09:35 PM

Dave how many miles of river do you run? How is the fuel cost? Live within a 1/4 mile of two rivers. In the near future I plan on running a river line.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 09:46 PM

The first line I run is about 16 miles of river. I use a 55lb thrust Minkota trolling motor for propulsion, and use 3 deep cycle marine batteries. The river I trap is 2 miles from my door, so the fuel expense is very minimal.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 10:41 PM

Most experienced longliners already are as efficient as they are going to be. I don't think that changes because of the price. Once you find a couple things that work the best then it is simply a scale thing and of course more time and ground replicating it. LLL

Bingo-people always ask me what type of set do you use mostly when you set 500+ traps.I say the same set over and over and over again.Simple and effective.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/24/18 11:35 PM

Very good info folks, Thank you for taking the time to respond.

B

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 10:24 AM

So you use a trolling motor because of the river or to keep the wake down so it doesn't mess with the pocket sets?

B
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: BBarnes
So you use a trolling motor because of the river or to keep the wake down so it doesn't mess with the pocket sets?

B

If there's other boat traffic on the river, you can assume pocket sets will be washed out. That and the roof will be washed out and your trap buried.

If, on the other hand, you're the lone ranger, the trolling motor works well.

On a smaller river I ran for many years I was the lone ranger. Ran that mostly in the dark after work with the Go Devil, and hung chunks of license plates from overhanging limbs. The reflective license plate pieces told me when I could run full bore between sets and when I had to idle through so as not to wash pocket sets out. That was a real sweet river to trap, because you could predict water fluctuations. No rain upstream and this river dropped an inch a day. If it was a dry November I'd have several pockets working their way from the water's edge up the side of the bank where the water line used to be. Rain predicted and I'd move 'em back up. All on a 3-4 day check.

If you've got other boat traffic and/or extreme fluctuating water levels, there are plenty of other sets to take your 'coon: several poke holes vertical in the bank to account for the rise is water level, DPs up on the bank attached to "zip line" drowning cables, and portable pockets also up on the bank with footholds attached to zip line drowning cables.

Many river systems have a more stable backside to 'em, and that's where your pocket and blind sets shine. Tie up the boat and walk in 10 yards, sometimes you'll be surprised at the difference between adjacent bodies of water separated by a bank.

As far as the title of "longliner" is concerned, that image in my mind is someone who traps from sunup to sundown, and works up his fur when he can. I've never had that luxury, but did manage to run 300+ traps for three to four weeks on the river every late October through just before deer season, all after work and mostly in the dark. With a 4-day drowning check, all sets set up to drown, one can rotate through three lines, a hundred traps a line, and pile up quite a bit of fur in a short period of time.

With the loss of most ROW trapping here in WI, and the slump in 'coon, mink and beaver prices, longlining is about done for awhile.

Posted By: tbn

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 03:00 PM

16 miles with a trolling motor is something.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 05:01 PM

Back in the late 90s I ran 22 miles of river a day with a trolling motor, checking 200 pocket sets. Get on at 6 AM, and off by 2:30 pm. I'd ave 70-90 coon a day for the first week.....Was sure nice having kids, and nephews that did all the skinning back than. Paid them a buck a coon and they were happy campers! Wife would meet me at 2 pick up points to get the coon out, and fresh batteries in. Was in my 30s than. Can't quite go as hard now in my 50s.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 07:30 PM

Im running 14 different cattle farms and 2 small hunting clubs right now. Have about 150 coyote traps set over about 90 miles of hi-way travel. Places average from 120 acres to 800 acre tracts. Caught 5 coyotes and 2 coons today. During the spring From March 15 till May 1 its turkey season in alabama so I run my lines on several small farms . SOME feel 150 traps is longlining SOME dont.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 08:55 PM

Every time I go out it's a long line!
Posted By: coontrapper2016

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 03/25/18 10:17 PM

I agree with this. Contracting and trapping are completely different, you can't compare apples and oranges.
Posted By: andrews1958

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 08/20/18 01:54 PM

I have no idea how that statement could offend you sorry if it di. You say there are probably a lot of 2000 coon a season trappers. My question is how many do you personally know? I don't know of anyone ever over five thousand. LLL

I met one and decided to tag along with him one day. I was more than happy to help him haul coons from the trap to his truck. After 25 it was no longer fun but hard work. We started early in the morning and finished up late that evening.

We ended up with 75 that one day. When I checked in with him at the end of the spring season he had caught over 1100 coon 100+ coyotes and 100+ beavers.

He has made no videos or taken end of season pictures as he mostly sells in the green

The guy was a machine
Posted By: Carlis

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 08/20/18 02:32 PM

in the end, its the memories is all you have. so I am out doing all I can, while I can.
Posted By: Carlis

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 08/20/18 02:42 PM

On some of my western lines I would be up before daylight checking traps one my wheeler on a 120 mile line usually back by noon skin those and run the other way another 75 miles. jump in the truck head out 175 miles to my second line and might get a few checked before dark, make camp gather firewood eat sleep sometimes under a rock ledge. get up finish runnin that line, set more traps and head back to the first line and main camp to get ready to start over in the morning. that's what I live for every year.

Re: Longliners, Are there any left! - 08/20/18 03:10 PM

whistle whistle whistle
© 2024 Trapperman Forums