Home

Otter Quota Update

Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 12:41 AM

So today was the last day to bring in harvested otter within the 72 hour deadline of the regional quota being met. In addition to yesterday's otter I had another one in my Belisle when I checked after leaving work, to head down south to have the otters tagged. I did pull my traps in that area, since I don't want to be catching anymore otter now that the harvest quota has been met. Will be concentrating on beaver and muskrats elsewhere for the remainder of the month. Now the fun begins. Skinning two otters. Will they be okay if I freeze the pelts before fleshing at a later date? Gotta work in the morning

TAGGED:

Posted By: Boco

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 12:58 AM

Yep,skin them out,then roll them up or fold a couple times fur out and freeze.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 01:07 AM

I've never trapped otter this late. How do they look? Any sign of singe?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 01:55 AM

It can be hard to spot singe on wet fur. It usually becomes apparent after you get them dry. But in today's market I'm not sure it matters that much if they're singed.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 02:59 AM

Good, glad you got them tagged.

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 03:40 AM

Hard to say guys, regarding the singe. I've made sure the fur was wet. We'll know when they get stretched I guess. First otter took me an hour and ten minutes. I cut three holes in the hide, but nothing that can't be sewn. Second otter took me 50 minutes and I did not cut a hole in the hide. 1 male, 1 female. A little trickier to skin than the beaver I caught but once I learned from the first one, the second one was much easier.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 04:00 AM

Sounds like you're a quick learner! Good on you.

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: beaverpeeler
Sounds like you're a quick learner! Good on you.

As quick a learner as a dumb ol' jarhead can be anyway... whereabouts in Oregon you from? I was raised in the Bend area. Spent a lot of my adult life though, in Prineville.
Posted By: CDA Trapper

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 05:11 AM

Where abouts in North Idaho are you?

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: CDA Trapper
Where abouts in North Idaho are you?

Up in Bonner County.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 05:30 AM

Otter usually are singed pretty badly at this time of the year.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 04:34 PM

The years that we have really crappy weather from January to March, the fur stays good much later. Bright sunny days are the curse of otter trappers. UV light is your enemy!
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 10:59 PM

For what you will get selling them I would have Moyles tan them and have a hat or something made.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/23/18 11:02 PM

Nice job Wildaho!
Posted By: Idahotrapguy

Re: Otter Quota Update - 03/25/18 11:11 PM

Wild Idaho. Surveying Idaho Trappers finding out how much support we have to try and raise the otter quota. It’s on my wish list with the department.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums