Home

CCW suggestions.

Posted By: trapperkeck

CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 05:57 PM

Looking for a 9mm or similar for concealed carry. Who makes one that goes bang every time for under $300.
Posted By: adam m

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:03 PM

You can always find deals if you're not in a hurry.
Posted By: late bite

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:05 PM

Not sure I would trust my life on a $300 or under gun........
just sayen..........
Posted By: Foxtrppr

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:09 PM

When it comes to concealed carry you don’t want to go cheap. You don’t want to scrimp on quality to Dave a few bucks so stay away from something like a high point lol. That being said there are some great little guns out there that aren’t too expensive. For your price range check out the kahr cm9. It is a great little pistol. Mine goes bang every time and never has a feed issue with any ammunition I throw at it including hand loads. Also check out the Sig Sauer P290RS. Sig makes a great fun and that one is pretty reasonable. For a little over $400 you can get a Springfield xds. I love both of my Springfields. They feed great even with hollow points and always go bang. They also shoot great. Accurate just like the kahr. Come on over and test fire them some time 😁. For what it’s worth, I’d stay away from ruger like the lc9 and smith and Wesson. I know lots of people like theirs, but I think the others are more reliable and take down and cleaning is easier. Just my opinion.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:16 PM

Can probably find a used ruger lc9 or s&w shield for around 300

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
Can probably find a used ruger lc9 or s&w shield for around 300

Get something more reliable. Can’t put a price on your life.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: late bite
just sayen..........
I've trusted my life to items that cost a lot less. Anyway, there has to be some reliable weaponry out there at more modest price tags. After all, this is an item that has a 99.999% chance of never being used for it's intended purpose.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:21 PM

BTW, I already own the LC9. It has been a great little weapon, so far. It rides around in the little lady's purse.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Originally Posted By: late bite
just sayen..........
I've trusted my life to items that cost a lot less. Anyway, there has to be some reliable weaponry out there at more modest price tags. After all, this is an item that has a 99.999% chance of never being used for it's intended purpose.

The Kahr CM9 is pretty reasonable. You can find them $300-350 if you look around. I got mine for around $250. Try buds gun shop.
Posted By: hippie

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:29 PM

Taurus and even Ruger make a couple under your price range that do good.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:36 PM

S&W SHIELD IS WHAT I CARRY.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 06:47 PM

https://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=890&category=Pistol

I carry one of those on occasion. Never failed to fire yet.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 07:13 PM

To each their own. I still don't understand why so many people like the shield and Ruger so much other than the price. I guess if you can find the right ammo, but the shield can be picky with what it will eat. Not saying they don't shoot, but there are other affordable options out there that are more reliable and not as picky. Everyone I know that has owned a shield has said the same thing. Obviously some of you have had different experiences but in my experience you usually get what you pay for and that includes guns. But everyone has their preferences. With that being said I can't wait to shoot my new sig sauer p238. I will be replacing the piece of crap S&W bodyguard that the wife shoots lol.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 07:27 PM

Cash in some cans and spend a little more ya tight wad! LOL Look at the Glock 43 or the Shield 9MM. PSA has a special on Springfield XDs now for $329 with free shipping but they are 40s.
Posted By: Jim Frazier

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 07:48 PM

Like my shield. Never failed.
Posted By: sako22

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:01 PM

I carry a Sig Sauer p238. Nice little gun and easy to carry in pocket. But it was considerably more than $300

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:10 PM

I'm not stuck on 9mm, although I do like the price of ammo. I suppose I could eek out another $50 if the value is there. Mostly, I want to know what others have experienced with various CCWs as far as price vs dependability/functionality.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:10 PM

given your price of under 300 the RUGER EC9s they simplified the LC9 with non adjustable sights , no loaded chamber lever ,take 50 dollars off the cost of the LC9s

the LC9s also would fit just at 300 if you catch a sale

I have been carrying the LC9 for 6 years , it is a good tool and even carried daily it never has given me any trouble , about once a month I go to the range pull it out exactly how it was carried and empty the gun into a target , then wipe it down , reload and go another month sometimes 2.

mine has very little finish left on the slide so that should give you some idea of how much carry it has got. nearly every day for over 6 years well over 1K rounds lost track of how many could easily be over 2K. has eaten everything I have fed it but mainly it gets 124gr hollow points good handy little tool.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:11 PM

If I could save a few bucks, I could get a better shovel for MN wolf hunting! wink
Posted By: billsauk

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:11 PM

I have 2 shields, my dad has one. Never seen a problem shooting any of them. Go bang and function every time, from factory ammo to reloads. First I have heard of shields being picky on ammo.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:18 PM

I carry a Glock 42 (380) some days and a S/W .45 Shield others days depends on what I doing at the time! Both guns run well
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Cash in some cans and spend a little more ya tight wad! LOL Look at the Glock 43 or the Shield 9MM. PSA has a special on Springfield XDs now for $329 with free shipping but they are 40s.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/springfie...-xdg9822hc.html ... if I was in the market.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:27 PM

Ruger LC9s
Posted By: Marty

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 08:56 PM

9mm.

smile
Posted By: goldy

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 10:24 PM

You expecting trouble from all those friendly towel heads over there Brian? Just give me a call, I can be there in an hour. grin
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 10:43 PM

I'm just sorta going to keep my mouth shut on this one.

You hear the same old crap, time after time on this forum.

Stop in at Guns and Gear. Their prices are great, and they know what they are talking about.
Posted By: brisket

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 11:39 PM

love my s&w shield in 9mm. goes boom every time. i shoot it every week and it , never had a malfunction.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: T-Rex
I'm just sorta going to keep my mouth shut on this one.

You hear the same old crap, time after time on this forum.

Stop in at Guns and Gear. Their prices are great, and they know what they are talking about.
I was in there last weekend. I am waiting on my permit to purchase and getting suggestions at the moment. Should get my permit in a few days. I might have to get me one of them there burka-skirt thingy's to hide my AR and fit in a little better around here. Incognito, if you get my drift. laugh

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/22/18 11:59 PM

Permit to purchase... sick

Choose well and practice often.... smile
Posted By: wkimble1

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:14 AM

Glock 43 get my vote.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:22 AM

Go in a shop and see what feel right for you and if they let you try some do that and see from there. What works for one doe not mean will work for someone else.I have a friend that wanted to go from pistol to wheel gun and then I told him about a 9mm in a pistol and then one in a wheel gun. I let him try the wheel gun and end up was going to look into get one. Also the ammo is easy to find also.but that is up to the one that will be carry it.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:23 AM

Get a Permit to Carry. It's good for five years and allows for instantaneous purchase of handguns. You still need to fill out form and pass background check; but, only a 20 minute ordeal.

I think the permit to purchase must (is supposed to) be approved or denied within 7 days. Hold them to it. Some municipalities like to stretch it out figuring they have nothing to loose.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:28 AM

if you don't have a permit to carry in MN you should definitely get one what good is the carry gun if you can't carry it.
I will reserve the rest of my words about permit to purchase and the way I feel about that system but it sounds very Jim Crow to me.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:37 AM

Trust me, the permit to carry is in the very near future. I just figured this route would be faster as far as being able to acquire a gun asap. I find the gun purchase laws in MN to be quite ridiculous.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/23/18 12:43 AM

I find the gun purchase laws in MN to be quite ridiculous.
You ain't alone...and they probably ain't done.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/24/18 11:39 PM

Handled a few today. Kinda leaning towards a Taurus, on sale for like $230 at Scheels. Anyone have any experience with SCCY pistols? Pretty reasonable and look alright.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/25/18 12:03 AM

Handled a few today. Kinda leaning towards a Taurus, on sale for like $230 at Scheels. Anyone have any experience with SCCY pistols? Pretty reasonable and look alright.

Yes! My mother in law had one for a while and I played with it a little. The trigger is heavy like a double action revolver and the reset is all the way back out. I would think it would be a pain for follow up shots.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/25/18 12:30 AM

I carry a CZ Po7 and love it! 15+1 9mm, goes boom every time, no matter what I feed it. I like a DA/SA with an exposed hammer due to being partial to revolvers. Never got into striker fired pistols.

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/25/18 08:37 PM

My best advice is if your can't decide between 2 guns go holster shopping holster availability can make a gun that is a deal not a deal when you need a holster.

but way to many people having problems with the SCCY that I would feel comfortable carrying it without 500 trouble free rounds of what I was going to carry in it and for that cost you could but a much better gun.

in anything I like to have 200 trouble free rounds and at least 50 of those what I plan to carry

when I got my LC9 and my first glock I ran 250 in each right away before I carried and both are in the thousands.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/25/18 10:35 PM

lol was just going to say sccy never fail yet mine is 9mm daughter is 9mm an wife is getting one made in u s a

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/26/18 12:23 AM

some SCCY have shown to be ammunition sensitive if you have a great track record with your ammo in your gun then carry on.
Posted By: Rcates

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/26/18 01:16 AM

Another vote for kahr cm9 here. Love mine

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/26/18 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Rcates
Another vote for kahr cm9 here. Love mine

PM9:

Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/26/18 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Foxtrppr
To each their own. I still don't understand why so many people like the shield and Ruger so much other than the price. I guess if you can find the right ammo, but the shield can be picky with what it will eat. Not saying they don't shoot, but there are other affordable options out there that are more reliable and not as picky. Everyone I know that has owned a shield has said the same thing. Obviously some of you have had different experiences but in my experience you usually get what you pay for and that includes guns. But everyone has their preferences. With that being said I can't wait to shoot my new sig sauer p238. I will be replacing the piece of crap S&W bodyguard that the wife shoots lol.

I have Shields in both 9mm and .40. Neither are picky eaters, and I've fed them both a few different brands. They conceal well and have been very reliable.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/26/18 11:50 AM

Springfield xds .40
Posted By: Maynard B

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/27/18 01:52 AM

Glock 43 here

Re: CCW suggestions. - 03/27/18 03:40 AM

.45 shield it fits the hand well has a sweet grip and cycles just fine a lot of cycle problems are from the ammo, I never understood how a person can spend good money on a firearm and put the cheapest ammo through it. confused
© 2024 Trapperman Forums