Home

Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!?

Posted By: huntcook

Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 12:44 AM

I took a pair of coveralls I ordered on line that didn't fit back to their Lexington Ky. store. While I was there I got two boxes of Win. long beard turkey shells. Laid what I bought on the check out and when the clerk got to the shotgun shells he ask for my driver license. So I ask him if I looked under 18 years old I said I'm 72 years old. He said they have been checking license on ammo since the middle of Sept. On the way to SD. at Mitchell in the middle of Oct. at their Cabela's I bought serval boxes of ammo and was not asked for drivers license. Is this another company that has started customer harassment? Has anyone on here been asked for their driver license on ammo purchase at Cabela's that don't look under 18?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 12:50 AM

I bought a couple pounds of powder, some bullets, 100 round balls, and some muzzle loader caps Sunday at Cabela's in kansas City. They just rang it up.
Posted By: charles

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 12:56 AM

Every employee has a boss and the good employees follow directions. Might be new directions tomorrow. Hope you are happy with the shells and get a gobbler or two.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 12:56 AM

Someone probably got yelled at by someone. Classic corporate overreaction.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 01:12 AM

I bought some blackhorn 209, federal and cci primers last October with no issues.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 01:46 AM

Those Winchester Longbeard XRs are very good turkey loads...
Posted By: white17

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 01:54 AM

two years ago I was hunting with another forum member. He smacked a turkey dead at an honest 65 yards with the Winchester XR rounds!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 01:58 AM

They ask for my phone #...I say no, thanks anyway.....they say it is to track where the customers live....I say that is done by zip code.

They look at me confused so I guess everyone just gives them the info they want.....sheep city.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:20 AM

I got carded at Wal-Mart when I got beer and I am 75.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:28 AM

70 is the new 18, evidently!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:54 AM

I get asked for ID occasionally when buying ammo/alcohol.

It depends on my mood whether I:
  • Explain how stupid they are
  • Explain how stupid their boss thinks they are by not trusting their judgement
  • Suggest they become sexually abused
  • Just walk out

One guy, in a liquor store told me "It's the law". He couldn't explain why I could have gotten away with hundreds of purchases without ever being asked.

One young chick didn't quite get it when I said "I'll show you mine if you show me yours".
Posted By: Trapper BUR

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 03:25 AM

I work at bass pro which y'all know owns cabelas now and yes, probably some new employee who is just following instructions or one that doesn't wanna get yelled at. They get just as tired of asking customers for ID as you do getting asked. In the several times that I have cashiered (that's not my reg position), we're required to ask you if you have a rewards card, want to sign up for a credit card, ID for ammo purchase, get a phone #, email address and maybe zip lol yeah I have been cussed out by customers buying a soda having to jump through all those hoops. Got to a point if they did throw me on a register I'd skip all that bull crap lol
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:20 AM

To the op. I found myself with my Dad down in the south (TN). It was about 13 years ago. We stopped at a grocery store to get some fixens and beer. Dad decided that he was paying for everything. When the cute little girl rang up the beer she asked for ID. I started reaching for mine when she said she needed my Dads. Turns out whenever you by booz there you need to show ID.

Jerry Jr.
Posted By: Mike C

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:31 AM

Most employers now require their employees to document a birth date when buying alcohol, ammo, etc.; items that are not allowed by law to be sold to minors. Just easier to card everyone than to take chances. Plus, dishonest employees can't get away with selling these items to their friends. I just tell them I know they just need a date to CYA and tell them a made up one. Us older guys can get away with that, don't know about you younger looking fellers.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:49 AM

I was in Tops recently , when the Cashier carded a customer in front of me. He was buying a 12 pack of Beer. Thing is, he had a WW2 hat and jacket on , AND Veteran of Pearl Harbor 12-7-1941 stitched on it . It was easy to tell the old Man was in his 90's. But, they Proofed him anyways. When I got to the Cashier, I said to him " Can't you see he is in his 90's "? He said it didn't matter. He needs to prove he is over 21, or I will not sell to them .
Posted By: Marty

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 05:03 AM

Stupid is not fixable....

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 08:01 AM

I don't give them my # either. Didn't get asked for it on Sunday either.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 08:06 AM

I've seen some stores scan your Drivers license. Store policy.

If you feel "harassed" don't give them your money. Pretty simple.

I was in a store the other day, that I had ordered some stuff from. The checkout girl said I need you to sign in at the front door on their I pad. I say "what If I refuse"? She says "then I can't give you your stuff". To that I say "then I won't give you my money". That was the end of the conversation. I left with my stuff. She got her money and I didn't sign her dumb I pad.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 09:09 AM

Many of the newer POS (point of sale) registers [/b]will not [b] complete the transaction until they scan an ID. If they skip this step then they cannot complete the transaction. I set up our older cheap register at our store that requires a DOB to be entered for tobacco and alcohol. The fines for underage are not worth it and we could loose our lottery license, and tobacco, alcohol license too.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 09:56 AM

If you don't like the policy, shop somewhere else. It certainly isn't the fault of some low paid cashier, he's doing what he was hired to do.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 10:30 AM

I look at being carded for alcohol and ammo as a pain in the wagon. Just a small moment of time. Maybe it will help save somebody's life. Underage drinking and driving. Had a friends family wife and two children killed by underage drunk driver. I know already against the law,texting and driving and a lot more things also. JMO
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
I don't give them my # either. Didn't get asked for it on Sunday either.

Just tell em 867-5309 with your area code. If they are under 30 they probably dont know the song
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 11:28 AM

Im 40 and got carded at tractor supply this week for two cans of purple spray paint, I thought it was weird as well
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 11:56 AM

My seventeen year old son couldn't buy WD40 and starting fluid at Walmart. I don't have a problem with it, but it was a little inconvenient. I should have known and thought about it before I told him to pick some up for me.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 12:17 PM

I am a holder of a FFL got mine in 1970 when I first got married have had a shop since that time. IT is part time mostly just friends now getting together shooting the bull. I know ATF has not sent me anything about carding customer on ammo purchase. That is what through me a loop yesterday at a sporting store. I hardly buy anything that I can order myself I was there the sell and rebate was close to what I could get for and I would have it. What upset me was there was no information taken he didn't have it in his hand hardly a second I ask what information he got with no answer. That is why I though it was customer harassment now Dicks, Walmart, Cabela's-Bass Pro are my lease favorite places to shop. Done venting see I am not the only one who has trouble being carded and being older than dirt doesn't help.
Posted By: mskrtman

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 01:31 PM

I believe Mills Fleet Farm cards for ammo Costco for liquor. You've got your wallet out to pay, not a big deal to show your license.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:00 PM

I still remember going to the old Woolworth 5 & 10 store when I was 8, 9 and 10 years old. Every year like clockwork, I would buy my Grand Father a box of Dutchmaster Cigars for his Birthday. They never questioned me , and always sold them to me . Never needed any Proof of Age.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:26 PM

you can now check a persons citizenship form their DL it could be part that.

but more likely they were told check , and they took that to mean check all.

as for the we just ask your DOB I have my Internet DOB and my real DOB I am not lying about my age , but I am not giving out my real info either

once you realize how much info you can get with a name and DOB you will change your internet and liqueur store DOB also.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JOCO1995
Im 40 and got carded at tractor supply this week for two cans of purple spray paint, I thought it was weird as well

Tried to buy a can of spray pain because I was refinishing a mower... Wouldn't let me because I am under 21.
Posted By: 2Trackmaster

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:44 PM

Come to Illinois it will happen wherever you buy ammo. If you are a resident you have to have a FOID card to buy it.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Getting There

Look at a few Meth heads they look three times their age
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 03:56 PM

I had in the very past of at Cablas about my checks with just my name on it. I was told by the one that was checking me out. I told them the place had taken them before.The person was given me a hard time and then said i need to see the manger. Then they show up and I told them what was the problem with my checks you always took them before. She told the person write down his driver lic. info.and tht was the end of it.After that they just ask for the drivers lic, after .then i got there card and just pay it off after I check out.

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:07 PM

I wonder who thought up the plan to make cashiers responsible for other peoples kids?
Posted By: tbn

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:09 PM

That is funny,lol. I can't stand to go in there anymore.It takes them 20 minutes to do a 5 minute job.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty
They ask for my phone #...I say no, thanks anyway.....they say it is to track where the customers live....I say that is done by zip code.

They look at me confused so I guess everyone just gives them the info they want.....sheep city.

You are right, they track where you live by zip code. Our local Fleet Farm store always asks for your zip code when you check out. When I asked why they wanted to know that? They said they track by zip code to determine where their customers are coming from.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Snowpa

Look at a few Meth heads they look three times their age

Most of the meth heads I saw looked like their heads caught fire and the person who stamped the fire out was wearing track shoes. sick
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: mskrtman
I believe Mills Fleet Farm cards for ammo Costco for liquor. You've got your wallet out to pay, not a big deal to show your license.

I don't carry my dl in my wallet. It sits in my truck. I also don't normally drive to town, but walk or catch a ride. Hard to show a license in that situation.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 05:47 PM

Everyone should carry their papers with them. Never know when the gestapo is going to conduct a paper check or when the zit farm cashier will demand it to buy XYZ.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Cabela's - what's the deal on shells?!? - 03/21/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
Everyone should carry their papers with them. Never know when the gestapo is going to conduct a paper check or when the zit farm cashier will demand it to buy XYZ.

I actually find that a good reason to not carry them. If I'm hunting, I'll carry my hunting license, driving I'll carry my drivers license, etc. If all I am doing is walking to town to do a little shopping, forget it. Quite often I won't even take my wallet, just a little cash.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums