Home

LA Smith Adirondack Lures

Posted By: Coon Duke

LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/14/18 12:53 PM

Can anyone tell me some informatio/history on these?
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/15/18 09:00 PM

I would be interested in that same information.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/15/18 10:09 PM

My memory is vague on this. The man's name was Lehman Smith, located in the northeast Adirondacks. I could be mistaken, but I believe that Toby Edwards took over from him for Fur Harvesters. I can remember his catalogs and that he was a very large man.
Posted By: saquelie

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/15/18 10:41 PM

You are correct Fisherman, my father and I sold furs to him thru the 70s and 80s. He had his store in Lewis NY in Essex county. I remember him buying my dads ginshang as well. There was a year that I recall him measuring a beaver length and width and paying my dad a buck a inch. I believe Steve Coop who has a store across from Mr. Smiths shop continues selling the Adirondack Animal lures.
Posted By: mole

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/15/18 11:01 PM

I was working in the Champlain valley a number of years ago crushing stone near Lewis NY south of Plattsburg NY. LA Smith had a shop on route 9 outside of Lewis. Real big man. used to stop and talk now and than. He had his own lure business and a catalog. Passed away several years ago.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/15/18 11:55 PM

Fox and mink man I believe....remember his writings.
Posted By: BrandonH

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/16/18 12:34 AM

Toby Edwards bought out Bob Freeman's White Mountain Lure Company out of Constable, I believe. Not familiar with the LA Smith lures
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/16/18 10:14 PM

Toby did buy out White Mountain Lures. Bob Freeman and his wife were great people. Too bad Toby did not continue the business.Bob made a great bait from bobcat meat put up in squeeze bottles that we called "dog turds". I really believe that Toby acquired the New York Fur harvesters pickup after Lehman. I'll have to ask Toby.
Posted By: Mac

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/17/18 10:35 AM

L.A. Smith wrote a book on mink trapping, long ling. Quite good.

Bob Freeman was mentioned in that he ended up selling his lure business. He bought the business in question from Alvin Yates. I had the chance to meet Bob a few times and he seemed like a nice guy. I believe his regular employment before retiring was as a postman.
Yates was from my area. He was the first guy I am aware of that put up real good fox catchers, and by that I mean 100 plus a season, here in Maine. Others may have done that but if so they kept might quiet. Old school guys often did stay quiet. Alvin is still trapping and doing well.
All this talk reminds me of he good old days.

Mac
Posted By: mike mason

Re: LA Smith Adirondack Lures - 03/17/18 01:10 PM

I seem to remember Yates selling packbaskets made from aluminum strips?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums