Home

Ave:1 trap thief:0

Posted By: Ave

Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 12:39 AM

I was picking up a few coyote traps today that I had snapped but not pulled as I was in a hurry to set them off. I pulled up to one of my mb 550s that had been tripped for a few days and found a muddy mess that looked like a catch circle. As I looked closer I found boot prints where a would be trap thief had worked around real hard to try to get the wolf fang out of the ground . It was about 10 inches out of the dirt but he must have worn himself out and gave up. He must have got pretty mad as the jaws looked to be hacked at with a hammer or hatchet. It was an mb 550 so no damage was taken. I only hope that he’s too discouraged to try again lol.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 01:07 AM

Ha! Poor guy tired himself out. You get any pictures of his shoe prints and tire tracks?

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 02:32 AM

I did takes some pictures of the tire tracks in case I see the same set again. Hopefully I wont
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 03:17 AM

Had that happen before, except instead of giving up, they hooked a log chain to the trap and pulled it out with a pick-up... Idiots.
Posted By: Forest

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 03:33 AM

Sounds like an Anti, I’d imagine most trap thrives want to keep traps in good shape to use or sell later.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 06:20 AM

Those 550s are tough smile
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 06:24 AM

Had somebody last year try to cut one of my cable stakes with a leatherman or something. You could tell he spent quite a while on it, and almost had it. He had 2 strands left and he would have been gone with it. I hope he broke his leatherman.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 10:26 AM

Criminal activity can be SO exhausting. frown
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 10:30 AM

to bad you didn't have a trail camera up would have been funny to watch him try to pull laugh
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Forest
Sounds like an Anti, I’d imagine most trap thrives want to keep traps in good shape to use or sell later.
More likely a couple high school kids out spotlighting coons. Not many antis running the woods at night, and they took the critter that was in the trap. I'm no forensic scientist, but there appeared to be high velocity spatter at the scene....lol
Posted By: yodeldog101

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 11:28 AM

Happy Birthday Ave !!

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 12:25 PM

Thanks yodeldog!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 03:03 PM

Criminal activity By the trapper. You can't spring traps and just leave them lay till later.

Be careful on what you post on a open forum.

Happy B day.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Ave
I was picking up a few coyote traps today that I had snapped but not pulled as I was in a hurry to set them off. I pulled up to one of my mb 550s that had been tripped for a few days and found a muddy mess that looked like a catch circle. As I looked closer I found boot prints where a would be trap thief had worked around real hard to try to get the wolf fang out of the ground . It was about 10 inches out of the dirt but he must have worn himself out and gave up. He must have got pretty mad as the jaws looked to be hacked at with a hammer or hatchet. It was an mb 550 so no damage was taken. I only hope that he’s too discouraged to try again lol.

Hopefully he tore everything loose in his back and gave himself a hernia... A screaming back and huevos swollen up like cantaloupes are a fitting punishment.

Mike
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 08:43 PM

Funny story, and HBD!
Posted By: John C

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/03/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Criminal activity By the trapper. You can't spring traps and just leave them lay till later.

Be careful on what you post on a open forum.

Happy B day.

I don’t know where you trap but it’s perfectly legal in NC. I’ve done it several times till I got around to pulling them out with my tractor. Our regulations state “set”.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/04/18 06:35 AM

I assume you weren't using quick links.
Lucky he didn't make off with your trap. Most victims aren't so fortunate.
Posted By: SemperFi

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/04/18 11:15 AM

I had 2 stolen this year. On the 550 they cut the quick link with bolt cutters. On the 330 they cut the chain. It was only held with a single t bar stake. I figured it was teenagers. They were out for winter break down here that week.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/04/18 01:50 PM

I got a bit confused between AVE and AJE
In WI we can't just close down a snare or spring a trap and be legal.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Ave:1 trap thief:0 - 03/04/18 08:54 PM

I thought Beav meant letting the trap lay above ground for someone to see
© 2024 Trapperman Forums