Home

Good story to start your day

Posted By: PBS

Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 10:58 AM

Have a good Monday all. Look out for your fellow man.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 11:05 AM

nice to hear thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 11:42 AM

smile
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 11:59 AM

shoulda offered the deadbeat a job and seen what would happen
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 12:16 PM

Thanks. Great place to eat
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton

This is not what the story is about. Its about kindness to one another.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 12:49 PM

Perhaps Danny. Maybe the fellow had a destination in mind and was struggling to get there? Aren't we all in one way or another?
Then again this wanderer could have been flashing snap cards and government script that we all are forced to pay for.
He was simply hungry yet polite, I would have paid his small bill.

Osky

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 1lessdog

^^^ ding ding ding ^^^ smile
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 12:59 PM

this made my eyes water, in a day and age when Christians get demonized and called mentally ill there are still a lot of good people with unwavering faith! It lifts the heart!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 01:00 PM

My daughter in law is homeless. She started to get schizophrenia about a year after their first child was born. Things went downhill even more and she is now living on the streets without a home and he is raising their son alone. I have learned a lot about homelessness and the vast majority of them are not deadbeats. There is literally nothing we can do to help her because she will not accept any kind of treatment. Lord knows we have tried for the past three years.

It tears me to pieces to think of her out on the streets, constantly in danger and battling the elements. Twice I have gone to Minneapolis with my son and we found her, but she wouldn't listen to any kind of reason. My daily hope is that there are people out there like the guy in this story who take pity on her from time to time. It's been a terrible thing for my son. At what point does he give up and move on? Very difficult for all of us and I really have a newfound compassion for homeless people because of it.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 01:27 PM

Hate hearing that Bernie. My oldest daughter is a nurse. Worked at the state hospital for years. Took care of the criminally insane. Told me its very common for someone whom drugs can help to quit taking them as soon they get leveled out. They believe they are fine and don't need the medication. I think its a shame people are no longer institutionalized against their will unless a crime is committed.

I'm a bit jaded when it comes to the "homeless". Spent too many years herding semi's coast to coast. Beggars are common in truckstops. Have offered to buy a meal for many. One in a hundred will accept. They want cash. Have never had a beggar agree to unload or help me unload for cash. And not because I offered them a paltry sum.

That story is a feel good story and not a reflection of reality. Preachers are experts at making up feel good stories and passing them off as truth.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 01:31 PM

I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? Naivety is an amazing thing.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 01:44 PM

I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? Naivety is an amazing thing.

If they are at the mission they are getting free food there.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 01:44 PM

Thanks for the story and homeless issue in this country is a sad problem. I live in an area that I don't see them and never have been around them.

If I lived where they lived I would want to help them. They need help but they have many different issues but I would love to help them out with a meal from time to time.

Thanks
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 03:37 PM

Hate hearing that Bernie. My oldest daughter is a nurse. Worked at the state hospital for years. Took care of the criminally insane. Told me its very common for someone whom drugs can help to quit taking them as soon they get leveled out. They believe they are fine and don't need the medication. I think its a shame people are no longer institutionalized against their will unless a crime is committed.

I'm a bit jaded when it comes to the "homeless". Spent too many years herding semi's coast to coast. Beggars are common in truckstops. Have offered to buy a meal for many. One in a hundred will accept. They want cash. Have never had a beggar agree to unload or help me unload for cash. And not because I offered them a paltry sum.

That story is a feel good story and not a reflection of reality. Preachers are experts at making up feel good stories and passing them off as truth.

Danny, I've been pushing rigs for 34 years now and I'll continue to do it till I'm 76 1/3, that'll give me 50 years at it and ya I've seen what you've seen, time and time again and the one in 50 times that I've offered a meal and have been taken up on it makes it all worth while. You want to know why I continue to make those offers? You want to know why I've given away thousands of dollars $5 & $10 at a time? Cause the only real fear I have is that I become so jaded by life on the road that I forget my humanity.
I don't do it for them, I do it for me. Ya, I know that attitude don't make me much of a good person or any kind of Christian, but I've never laid claim to being either, just trying to keep body & soul together in a hard world that I absolutely refuse to make me any harder than need be. A hopeless romantic? Probably, but I still agree with Ray Charles 'What a wonderful world.....
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 05:10 PM

I'll offer food at times but never $.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 05:59 PM

Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 06:13 PM

Blessing for sure. No greater reward than to be a Fisher of Men.

B
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 07:04 PM

This is the way charity should be given, one on one and personal.

Charity should never be forced, on the givers, or delivered in the form of a check or electronic debit card, to the receivers. When money is taken and given that way it becomes an entitlement rather than a gift.

Keith
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 07:49 PM

This isn't a first rodeo for Chick-Fil-A. They've done this many times for the needy, evidence supports that fact. Their reputation is like that of the Salvation Army. Regardless of their circumstances, they feel every person in America shouldn't have to go hungry.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithC
This is the way charity should be given, one on one and personal.

Charity should never be forced, on the givers, or delivered in the form of a check or electronic debit card, to the receivers. When money is taken and given that way it becomes an entitlement rather than a gift.

Keith

Mike
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 08:04 PM

If I was forced to pray for a hand out I would have left without the hand out.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav

Would that make you a beggar or a chooser?

Mike
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 09:10 PM

Sitting on the dentist chair waiting on the shot to work reading.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 09:17 PM

I say anybody who refuses a meal and wants money instead, or refuses work when offered, isn't in need. My experience with homeless beggars has been near 100% for those two things. I'm not heartless. I've offered to feed a lot of people. Most turn that down. Tell them you got 24 tons of freight that needs stacked on pallets and pulled out onto a dock they are not interested in that either. So if my having 0 sympathy for those folks makes me heartless I guess I'll wear the label.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
Originally Posted By: The Beav

Would that make you a beggar or a chooser?

Mike

Did the person In the story come In begging for food?

I guess If I came In begging for a hand out I would consider myself a beggar. But once I was told I had to pray for that hand out and I choose not to I would become a chooser.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/26/18 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 1lessdog

Not everybody gets it. A shame, really.

Thanks for this great story. I hope it give us all cause to pause and consider what seemingly small things like this could mean if they were more common.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 12:55 AM

Who knows, that single prayer may have had a bigger impact on the guy more than the food.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 01:12 AM

I think its great that manager stepped up and done something don't care what the motives were

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: bleeohio
Who knows, that single prayer may have had a bigger impact on the guy more than the food.
might of even had a bigger impact than just that one guy.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 02:57 AM

I’m not a religious man but can easy recognize what happened. A good man stepped and helped someone who needed a meal and offered a prayer on the mans behalf. Lots of Christians talk the good talk, but how many pick up a hitch hiker in the rain?
Posted By: yask65

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 03:03 AM

we are suppose to help our fellow man ! it doesn't matter what they do with the help you give them ,not our place to judge . this is a great story !thank you for sharing
Posted By: yask65

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 03:05 AM

one more thing ! this story may change how someone feels towards those less fortunate , maybe even help bring someone to christ !

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 03:26 AM

I understand Danny's point.

I think everyone knows, or has heard 2 Thessalonians 3:10 paraphrased... "He who does not work, shall not eat."

I agree with that to a point. And I have no issue placing conditions on charity on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not sure how much work I can practically expect from a widow or orphan. A young person in good health? I can see asking them to help unload a truck... Sooner we get it unloaded, sooner we can grab a bite to eat.

If they turn down a free meal because what they really crave is money for a dope fix... That's on them. They went from beggar to chooser.

I don't know the circumstances of the young man in the post above. Maybe he offered to mop the floor or tote trash for some leftovers... Maybe he didn't.

For whatever reason, the manager felt he should give the young man some food. He had the authority to make that decision.

Good enough for me.

Mike
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 09:48 AM

I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? .

No Danny. It will certainly not be a one-time thing. It’s not a one-time thing for Chik-fil-A, for the Salvation Army, or for the hundreds of thousands of charities, churches, soup kitchens, shelters, missions, and individuals who voluntarily give each and every day. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason Chik-fil-A gives away free food is BECAUSE the needy will come back, not in spite of it? Have you ever considered that some people in this world actually LIKE to give to to others instead of merely working for their own gain, and therefore “bringing the rest of the bums back” might not be the cost, but the goal?

The difference between me and you is that you see helping others as a means to an end— you’ll help them IF it gets them off the street, IF it helps you get some work done, IF it helps them not inconvenience you anymore. But you see it as a negative- it’s not something you want to do, so naturally you’ll find any excuse to exempt yourself from it. You won’t help if they want cash, or if they won’t slave for you for it, or if they might come back, or if they DID come back, or if they could be getting help somewhere else, or if they seem like they could be working, or if they smell funny, or if they’re addicted, or if they’ve been on the street for too long, or if they seem lazy, or if they should be trying harder. Right?

It kind of reminds me of a guy I know who claims he likes to trap— but he only does it if he’s not too busy, it’s not too cold, too wet, too snowy, too dark, or too far to drive. The truth is we all pick our priorities, and our priorities define our values. If generosity and selflessness are not among your values, then that’s ok. We’re all different. Just be honest about yourself.

But some of us have found a personal value in selfless giving, above my own self-superior judgement of who deserves to receive, from my little self to Dan Cathy and Travis Boersma (CEOs of Chik-Fil-A and Dutch Bros Coffee, respectively). We’ve chosen to willfully practice a set of values that you’ve never discovered, and that doesn’t necessarily make us foolish or naive. The only naivety would be thinking we do it for a selfish reason.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? .

No Danny. It will certainly not be a one-time thing. It’s not a one-time thing for Chik-fil-A, for the Salvation Army, or for the hundreds of thousands of charities, churches, soup kitchens, shelters, missions, and individuals who voluntarily give each and every day. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason Chik-fil-A gives away free food is BECAUSE the needy will come back, not in spite of it? Have you ever considered that some people in this world actually LIKE to give to to others instead of merely working for their own gain, and therefore “bringing the rest of the bums back” might not be the cost, but the goal?

The difference between me and you is that you see helping others as a means to an end— you’ll help them IF it gets them off the street, IF it helps you get some work done, IF it helps them not inconvenience you anymore. But you see it as a negative- it’s not something you want to do, so naturally you’ll find any excuse to exempt yourself from it. You won’t help if they want cash, or if they won’t slave for you for it, or if they might come back, or if they DID come back, or if they could be getting help somewhere else, or if they seem like they could be working, or if they smell funny, or if they’re addicted, or if they’ve been on the street for too long, or if they seem lazy, or if they should be trying harder. Right?

It kind of reminds me of a guy I know who claims he likes to trap— but he only does it if he’s not too busy, it’s not too cold, too wet, too snowy, too dark, or too far to drive. The truth is we all pick our priorities, and our priorities define our values. If generosity and selflessness are not among your values, then that’s ok. We’re all different. Just be honest about yourself.

But some of us have found a personal value in selfless giving, above my own self-superior judgement of who deserves to receive, from my little self to Dan Cathy and Travis Boersma (CEOs of Chik-Fil-A and Dutch Bros Coffee, respectively). We’ve chosen to willfully practice a set of values that you’ve never discovered, and that doesn’t necessarily make us foolish or naive. The only naivety would be thinking we do it for a selfish reason.

Now here is someone who gets it. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 11:50 AM

If giving money to strangers makes you feel good about yourself then by all means give all you can afford. Just don't delude yourself into thinking your helping them.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 12:17 PM

If giving money to strangers makes you feel good about yourself then by all means give all you can afford. Just don't delude yourself into thinking your helping them.

Geez man, by that rationale, why do anything for any stranger whatsoever even if it only costs you a couple of bucks? To each his own I guess. smile

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 12:58 PM

You are painting "strangers" with a pretty broad brush. I guess I'm just a natural helper and I have helped a lot of people I don't know. I'll give you one example that happened to me many years ago that changed my perspective.

I was in college and struggling to pay my bills, driving 60 miles back and forth every day to classes while trying to support a wife and three kids at the time. (I was 30 years old when I went to college after trapping full time up until then).

I pulled into the gas station to fill my little Datsun pickup with gas and beside me was a woman with two ornery, unkempt, undisciplined kids with grubby clothes and messy hair. Her car was a mess and I immediately looked down my nose at her and labelled her has a "welfare mom," a way of looking at people with disgust. As I pumped my gas I was stewing about people like that when I was overcome by guilt. It was if God slapped me and said, "Who are you to judge? You are living on food stamps and student loans yourself. You're not perfect by any means. You have no idea what these people go through every day. I love this woman and her kids with all their faults, why can't you love them too?"

It was an aha moment that took place nearly 30 years ago but it changed my life. I went into the gas station and paid for her gas. I left without saying anything but I had an hour's drive home to think about that moment and how I don't view people the way God does. He accepts us as we are, He loves us as we are. But because he loves us, He wants to show us a better way to live. I no longer think it's my job to judge others or try to determine who is worthy of my love, my gifts or money, food, labor or whatever. I don't even worry that what I might be doing would in some small way enable bad behavior. I'll do what pleases God, be generous and helping, and let Him sort it out.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 02:17 PM

Well said Bernie. I agree with you 100%.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 03:04 PM

Hebrews 13:2

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 03:33 PM

Should have used the word beggers rather than strangers. I dont feel good giving money to people who wont do for theirselves

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 05:00 PM

Some people just need a hand up and respect! Things can happen beyond our control!
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 05:11 PM

Bernie

Blessing to you sir, I was looking for those same words when reading through this thread. I have done the same thing many times over the years, gas money meals etc. I often thought I was put in the moment for a reason.

B

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/27/18 11:30 PM

I will give a hand up to some body willingly and then some. Ill buy a meal. Maybe gas or pay for a tire repair or something. No cash for a "homeless" begger.
Few years ago a guy ive known since he was in kindergarten came by the house said his water was getting shut off. Needed 160 dollars to keep it on. Has 3 kids and i knew hed been fighting a meth addiction. I wanted him to win. Told him id pay the water bill if he would mow my lawn ( my mower, a rider) and do a couple orher chores. Would have took 3-4 hours. He said thanks. He also only mowed half the yard and left. After i paid his water bill of course. Wont do him any good to ask me for help again. No clue where is now. His wife ran him off. I expect he's homeless somewhere.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 12:18 AM

Its always good to hear thank you for helping me out, YEARS LATER!!
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 01:45 AM

I was told to "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes". Wonder how many parents still tell their kids and grandchildren that.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 01:48 AM

My granddad told me, "if you lay down with dogs you get fleas"
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 01:56 AM

Your grandfather gave good advice. Having empathy doesn't mean you have to become like them. Hatefulness is much more likely to rub off than homelessness based on what I seeing.

My apology for going off topic.
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 03:02 AM

Do what you feel is right in your heart.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 03:49 AM

Good story. Chick Fil A is top notch and has the best fast food workers ever. If they sold beef I believe they would take over all other chains.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 07:02 AM

I will give a hand up to some body willingly and then some. Ill buy a meal. Maybe gas or pay for a tire repair or something. No cash for a "homeless" begger.
Few years ago a guy ive known since he was in kindergarten came by the house said his water was getting shut off. Needed 160 dollars to keep it on. Has 3 kids and i knew hed been fighting a meth addiction. I wanted him to win. Told him id pay the water bill if he would mow my lawn ( my mower, a rider) and do a couple orher chores. Would have took 3-4 hours. He said thanks. He also only mowed half the yard and left. After i paid his water bill of course. Wont do him any good to ask me for help again. No clue where is now. His wife ran him off. I expect he's homeless somewhere.

So, just to clarify, you’re ok with watching 3 children go without utilities because their dad wouldn’t mow your lawn? I just want to be clear.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 08:27 AM

Fix it mike, I try to live by your quote.
I am not religious at all but sometimes I wonder...can't help an overwhelming feeling to act. When someone is drowning does one stop to judge whether they are worthy of being helped?
If god is real, I believe he is watching all of us and will deal accordingly.
I don't get great web service and can't see the op pictures but I gather the chic fillet employee gave the food and offered a prayer. Good for him. Good for the hungry. We need more selfless acts in this world.
Thanks to the op for this thread. Contrary to doing what I feel in my heart I am also full of hate...I don't trust anyone not even my own dad. I don't have any friends really due to the same hate and lack of trust. I'm getting older and it's making life harder to live. I worry some day my actions will have not been enough and I will die alone in pain.
Again, thanks to the op and thanks to all who commented for making me think.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Wylee

Thanks to the op for this thread. Contrary to doing what I feel in my heart I am also full of hate...I don't trust anyone not even my own dad. I don't have any friends really due to the same hate and lack of trust. I'm getting older and it's making life harder to live. I worry some day my actions will have not been enough and I will die alone in pain.
Again, thanks to the op and thanks to all who commented for making me think.

Wylee, You're welcome. And you're not alone in your statement. I've been in law enforcement and in the military most of my adult life. I've been to most corners of the world and have seen some terrible things, mostly back in the states as I dealt with that 10% of the population. Two divorces later, I got out of law enforcement. I'm hardly naïve to the ways of the world as some may have suggested on this thread and definitely have had some trust issues along the way. I've come to realize over time that life is pretty good. And most people are decent human beings. I'm not as religious as others but I try a little more than I used to. Good luck to you in finding your way.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 09:18 AM

Thanks for the luck, I know I will need it. And thank you for your service.
Posted By: 358wsm

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 09:29 AM

Really good thread. Timely.
Thanks OP.
Posted By: Hillbilly910

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 09:31 AM

Met a man one time late at night at a gas station,asked me for my pocket change, told me his story, and I caved...he beat me to the cooler, and bought better beer than I planned on, with my own money.

Also offered guys holding the signs, "will work for food" a job, never took me up on it.
Notice, nobody uses that sign anymore, cause we called that bluff.
Now it's victim related, nobody wants to work for food, but they accept donations.
Most homeless don't seek help, and don't pander themselves. They die quiet and alone...

Can't say I didn't try. Also buried kin in that life. Nobody winds up there unless they choose it.
But, I am a self righteous bunghole, so there is that...

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 09:57 AM

yep kenai that's it. you nailed it

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly910
Met a man one time late at night at a gas station,asked me for my pocket change, told me his story, and I caved...he beat me to the cooler, and bought better beer than I planned on, with my own money.

Also offered guys holding the signs, "will work for food" a job, never took me up on it.
Notice, nobody uses that sign anymore, cause we called that bluff.
Now it's victim related, nobody wants to work for food, but they accept donations.
Most homeless don't seek help, and don't pander themselves. They die quiet and alone...

Can't say I didn't try. Also buried kin in that life. Nobody winds up there unless they choose it.
But, I am a self righteous bunghole, so there is that...

I've been dealing with a family member (not flr much longer though) and all I ever hear is them blaming others for their attitude and ill behaviour... it' a "victim" mentality.

I like your post and the clearity of that point.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 11:16 AM

Begging is a scam that's legal. Not as lucrative as a swindler like Bernie Madoff but legal. Best part is the people handing over their money get a warm fuzzy feeling for doing it.

Strike I believe there is a rest of the story. Otherwise you would have called a friend or family member and had them send you some cash or come pick you up or both. So what's the Paul Harvey version?

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 11:22 AM

there are lots and lots of these

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 11:26 AM

Hate to admitt it, but......

I was in northern Va working there, had to be hospitalized. When I got out my job position had been terminated. I thojght to myself, "no problem." Well it WAS a problem. The illegal work force was high in that area and there I was jobless. I spent the next several months "living" in my truck. An alcoholic invited me to an AA meeting. I found the people there extremely gracious. Some offered me coffee, some offered me meals, and some offered me use of their shower. Then one day, one offered me a job. I took it and busted my a$$ in appreciation.
I never expected to find myself in such a humble position. Ironic though, that those who had once been there in similar ways were the greatest and most kind in their ways.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: strike2x
I was down on my luck one time and many people helped me out. Sure am glad I don't run into Danny Clifton on that journey, I might never have made it home...

Some of us been down on our luck, some of us more than others. I know what a gutter tastes like, smells like, and sleep's like. I get it, I know.
But you weren't weilding a sign, or jonesing for pocket change were you? Don't hate on those of us who have been burned being nice.

I offered a guy $12 an hour, easy work, yet he turned me down.

I haven't seen a "will work for food" sign in years, just "need gas" "homeless" or "please help"...

Hate on danny all you like, but I've both been there, lived it.

Might as well hate me too

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 12:40 PM

Most of us on here have been in need of help in one way or the other at a point in our lives. Whether it be pulled out of a mud hole or a friend that takes the time to be a friend when needed. And if we are honest with ours self it made us feel good that someone cares enough to help. I totally get peoples point with people not wanting to work for their living but I think the point of the story is about a person that cared about a stranger and you can rationalize it any way you want to fit your point of view but point of the story is still about a stranger caring enough to help.

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 01:09 PM

Strike2X...
You were in a place were everybody knew you?...your gutter had safety rails.
Other than the slick dude who talked me out of my beer money, never met a person who really wanted help, but I offered it to alot. I also bought food, gave rides, and "helped" the unfortunate, more than you'll ever know. But some feel good story on facebook, don't mean you always should, and you definitely shouldn't go hating on Danny, but you did.

Why do I suddenly feel like sling blade? Dang, wish I had some French fried pertaters

Re: Good story to start your day - 02/28/18 01:11 PM

And also, yikes, Danny ain't christian? Am I?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums