Home

Violent video games

Posted By: Don

Violent video games - 02/23/18 11:41 PM

When are the makers of violent video games going to start owning up to some of the responsibility of what is happening to our culture? I am sure kids who eat Tide pods will have a hard time differentiating between, fantasy violence and disrespect for authority, and reality
There is a general lack of respect now days right from our elders to law enforcement. Why do I have to lock my doors? I was taught to respect all other, apparently those principals have been lost!
Rant over.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Violent video games - 02/23/18 11:49 PM

When they start getting sued.
Posted By: Hillbilly910

Re: Violent video games - 02/23/18 11:54 PM

blaming the games, is as bad as blaming the guns...placing blame on something other than the guilty party.

Fast cars have killed a ton of people, when will we put horsepower restrictions on these killing machines?
Cell Phones kill a crap load of people, young and old alike. Lets ban those.
Money has destroyed more lives than booze, or drugs combined, gotta get rid of that.
Internet, dont get me started on whats happened since the internet...

rant over.

Re: Violent video games - 02/23/18 11:56 PM

oh yeah, tide pods, its tides fault dumbtailed idiots eat them. So we must hold tide accountable.

now rant over.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:20 AM

My kids are grown. I'd rather just beat the L out of them for putting profit before social responsibility but then I'd be the one going to jail. I'll just do the next best thing because it's my opinion they contribute zip/zero to society.

If that offends you. Oh well....

For clarification: I was talking about the video game producers. My kids don't make any profit from video games.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:26 AM

This is arguing to put the government back in control of our kids... Something that has worked so well.

Some of these video games are violent and vulgar, no doubt.

I would call on parents to be involved and decide which of these games are suitable for their kids to own.

That way the free market carries on. "Artistic expression" (if you want to call it that) carries on. And hopefully big brother government goes by the wayside.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:30 AM

mike, i pray you realise i was being superman level sarcastic there

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:33 AM

I did Hillbilly. I was agreeing with you.

I probably goofed my reply somehow... I'm getting older and tireder. Lol

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:38 AM

ditto, lol
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:01 AM

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:22 AM

that chart will never work, its logical. Gotta be something else to blame other than the obvious.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:33 AM

It's the parents buying & renting most of the games. All games have a rating just like movies.
I and millions grew up with violent games and haven't gone a shooting spree. Mind you we were limited on them and had to use the only tv in the house. You remember the ones you had to actually walk to to change the channel and volume.
Posted By: dogdown

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:49 AM

As I was transporting my grandson home the other night, I informed him that he was no longer allowed to play PS4 shoot em kill em dead video games in my house or in my presence. He's 11 and he will learn gun control under my supervision this summer. Gotta start somewhere.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: dogdown
As I was transporting my grandson home the other night, I informed him that he was no longer allowed to play PS4 shoot em kill em dead video games in my house or in my presence. He's 11 and he will learn gun control under my supervision this summer. Gotta start somewhere.

I commend you for taking an active interest!

Mike
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:12 AM

Do his parents feel the same way? If not, maybe you and them need to play the game together to show them how rotten it is! I commend you for taking action!
Posted By: dogdown

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:19 AM

I can sway my daughter but my grandson's father i have no influence over, maybe his father learned something from his federal prison time that will help him see the correct direction.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:37 AM

if he learns gun control and respect, he can play shoot em kill em dead video games till he's blue in the face. The games have absolutely nothing to due with it...just like the guns have nothing to do with it. Passing the blame yet again.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:44 AM

How do you know what affect a violent game has on a developing mind when combined with mental illness?

Do you just think you know or is it based on your personal experience?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:46 AM

Mortal Kombat taught me how to rip a persons head off, spine attached, and make it look cool(points if you remember the character). Yet ive never done it.
That was 1992...and boy howdy did folks get upset about that. Yall remember the blood code? How many of us who do committed school shootings?

Im sure spine ripping cases are on the rise since that game was the certain end of society back then, lotsa folks said so...
here we are later, blaming games.

sheeesh
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:50 AM

Video games hadn't been invented when I was a kid. I was in the Air Force when I saw my first one. A two player tennis game in a bar.

So without video games we played army with toy guns shooting each other for hours. That evolved into bb gun wars. Every boy I knew had a pocket knife and we played mumbly peg and stretch with them. Most kids were part of a family with one tv, one car, and dad earning the money. A lot of people didn't have a house phone. Cell phones weren't invented and a few didn't have electricity or water in the house.

Today we need more stuff. More cars, more phones, more games, more TV's, more clothes, computers, satellite or cable tv. Women don't know how to cook or garden. Everything comes packaged, frozen, microwavable in a can. Men don't know how to butcher.

The result is kids are spending all the time we spent outdoors using our minds to entertain us, indoors watching tv or playing computer games. Mom is working to buy the extra stuff nobody really needs and kids are being raised by their schools and tv and video games.

In way to many cases mom is a parasite living on welfare and dad is nowhere to be found. We can't do anything about women to lazy to cook and working to buy stuff her family doesn't need that is actually probably detrimental to kids welfare, but we can end the welfare that is the number one reason for so many fatherless families.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:51 AM

so mental illness is why video games shouldnt exist? Its the games fault? Normal kids cant play video games, because it might harm some?

Do you hear yourself?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:57 AM

Are you mentally ill?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:00 AM

It's just easier to blame someone or something instead of owning your actions

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Video games hadn't been invented when I was a kid. I was in the Air Force when I saw my first one. A two player tennis game in a bar.

So without video games we played army with toy guns shooting each other for hours. That evolved into bb gun wars. Every boy I knew had a pocket knife and we played mumbly peg and stretch with them. Most kids were part of a family with one tv, one car, and dad earning the money. A lot of people didn't have a house phone. Cell phones weren't invented and a few didn't have electricity or water in the house.

Today we need more stuff. More cars, more phones, more games, more TV's, more clothes, computers, satellite or cable tv. Women don't know how to cook or garden. Everything comes packaged, frozen, microwavable in a can. Men don't know how to butcher.

The result is kids are spending all the time we spent outdoors using our minds to entertain us, indoors watching tv or playing computer games. Mom is working to buy the extra stuff nobody really needs and kids are being raised by their schools and tv and video games.

In way to many cases mom is a parasite living on welfare and dad is nowhere to be found. We can't do anything about women to lazy to cook and working to buy stuff her family doesn't need that is actually probably detrimental to kids welfare, but we can end the welfare that is the number one reason for so many fatherless families.

PONG... Lol

That was a while back.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: gray dog
Are you mentally ill?

some folks have questioned it, but despite the scary gushing liberal implications, i'll restrain myself...

So because of mental illness, those video games shouldnt exsit?
Just like the AR-15 shouldnt exist, because disturbed folks could use them badly? depsite they were never designed for mentally ill, or disturbed folks.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:18 AM

bet you have a field day explaing the Oklahoma city bombing... fertilizer and a moving truck.

Ban them too, that will fix the problem

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
Originally Posted By: danny clifton

PONG... Lol

That was a while back.

played it on atari, while i waited for a more blood thirsty video game to surface, to ruin society.
Space invaders was the best, but its violent to aliens, so cant play that.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:29 AM

Ammonium nitrate fertilizer is hard to get now and comes with a lot of restrictions. Urea has pretty much taken its place. FWIW Timothy stole blasting grade ammonia nitrate to make his bomb. The fertilizer he fooled around with did not create enough pop. Wasn't pure enough. Like everything else government tends to do they put a big burden on farmers but the blasting grade nitrate is still used in quarries. Which is how Timothy finally made his bomb. Robbed a quarry for blasting grade ammonia nitrate.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:39 AM

i know this Danny, i live in farm country, Dad drove a truck for a seed/fert company for years...also at the time, the info about how to make "pop" didnt exist online, now a third grader can do it faster than us combined...
funny though, moving trucks are still legal. U-Haul must be counting their lucky stars...

Just pointing out the flaws in the logic, nearly all of yall see them. I think 99% of you get my meaning.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:40 AM

Not once did I say they should be banned. Read my first two posts again. The OP never mentioned this shooting.

Hopefully then you will understand why I might question your expert opinion.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 03:47 AM

Hillbilly you may not realize it but Danny is pretty much on your side.

He doesn't want a government mandate to control video games. He wants parents to step up, be involved, and make decisions that are good for their kids.

The government mandate controlling Ammonium Nitrate only made life difficult for farmers. Anyone who wants "the good stuff" can still steal it from a rock quarry. Most keep it locked in a shed that meets the minimum requirements for storage... A tool shed with a padlock or two.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 04:38 AM

oh i know mike. Might be old and tired, but i aint dead. Just relayed my personal info from yet another media worthy hocus pocus. Mortal Kombat from 1993 was the first, nobody bit. but it wont be the last youve heard of it, i promise, lol.
I have to work on my sarcasm flag, its becoming less noticeable anymore...lol, dang it all. I think Danny knows my thoughts, just playing yet again on the folks who think making a law, or passing a bill will solve anything. What happened to the farmers is proof. First hand knowledge.

Gray dog, i re-read them both, "when they get sued" was post one...says nothing, but implies alot. The second, well, not quite as clear.
actually, i doubt you would have wanted to bring the second reply back to life, but, your call.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 04:41 AM

We may want to be cautious about advocating that the bulk of those using firearms to kill people are all insane. We all may have touches of insanity to a lessor or larger degree and we may not want to have our rights lost if we are too many standard deviations from some sort of yet to be found norm. We may not want persons with some but yet unknown degree of insanity establishing rules and laws for all of us. The bulk of our citizens are according to Meyers Briggs externally referenced humans and that means we establish our beliefs in who we are and how we are doing based on the opinion(s) of others and mix that with stress, drugs, alcohol and ready access to a wide variation of weaponry we are faced with an issue that won't be easily or quickly resolved.

Bryce

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 04:46 AM

but your fourth post asked me if i were mentally ill...its ok when you escalate matters, but if i do it, im the bad guy?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: bblwi
We may want to be cautious about advocating that the bulk of those using firearms to kill people are all insane. We all may have touches of insanity to a lessor or larger degree and we may not want to have our rights lost if we are too many standard deviations from some sort of yet to be found norm. We may not want persons with some but yet unknown degree of insanity establishing rules and laws for all of us. The bulk of our citizens are according to Meyers Briggs externally referenced humans and that means we establish our beliefs in who we are and how we are doing based on the opinion(s) of others and mix that with stress, drugs, alcohol and ready access to a wide variation of weaponry we are faced with an issue that won't be easily or quickly resolved.

Bryce

That was a mouthful Bryce. Let me see if I catch your drift...

In layman's terms... Who decides the definition of "mentally unfit to own firearms?"

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 04:51 AM

he is saying we all crazy, you heard him right.

go...lol
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 05:42 AM

Ammonium nitrate is a very useful substance that has benefitted mankind in many ways since we figured out how to make it." assault" rifles and handguns are useful tools that have benifitted mankind in many ways other than just killing people . Just exactly how has first person shooter video games benefitted mankind ?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 05:47 AM

the names of the video games the school shooters in the last ten years are more common to eac hother than the firearms used

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 06:41 AM

mortal kombat...just saying. Very few arguing remember this ordeal. Your more guilty of following media than anybody, the "blame the game" game.
Sad, when your rights are questioned, you blame a video game. Horribly sad.

for you come-latelys...its been going on for many years. Wont stop, crusty old timers, or just plain idjits, will always belly ache about something they dont know.

nobody blames "the legend of zelda", even though he murdered way more than any call of duty game could muster...

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 07:07 AM

It's Friday night. Aren't there any girl hillbilly's were you live?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 07:09 AM

that was 1987, when it all went bad. Killing for treasure as it were. Dont forget Mario, he got points for killing, even though it had no bearing on his mission...
first person shooters are evil in your mind, know what a 3rd person shooter is? didnt think so...

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 07:10 AM

dang gray dog, cheap shots are all you got?

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Ammonium nitrate is a very useful substance that has benefitted mankind in many ways since we figured out how to make it." assault" rifles and handguns are useful tools that have benifitted mankind in many ways other than just killing people . Just exactly how has first person shooter video games benefitted mankind ?

Lots of stuff without benefit to mankind out there.

Once you start down the path of banning stuff that you see no benefit from... It doesn't take long for it to come back on you.

Some extremists even argue that fur is of no benefit to man anymore.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 08:16 AM

Hardly a cheap shot. Friday nights are are for laughing, loving, and being merry.

Mondays are for fixing the world's problems and showing intellectual superiority on social media.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:36 PM

Comparing first person to third person is apples to oranges . There's a huge difference between the realism of Kong to modern call of duty or some other first person shooter game . the difference between first and third is all about POV and realism . I don't Know what the answer is . For Christ sake we have hundreds of kids eating Tide pods because they seen it on you tube . these same kids are spending hours practicing shooting each other with their little headsets on talking to each other about killing each other . can no one see the potential for disaster here .
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 12:51 PM

Pretty sure there aren't any third person shooter games, maybe for flight simulator games perhaps.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:03 PM

The thought of banning something really bugs me . where do you stop. But lets admit FPSVG has something to do with it .Its a common thread between virtually all the school shooters . All anybody wants to talk about is guns . I'm leaning towards saying they have more to do with whats going on than the guns . If we don't include FPSVG in the discussion the only place we will be able to shoot is video games .I don't like it but something WILL eventually get banned Its the nature of our legislature . And I don't want it to be guns.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:05 PM

there are lots of third person games out there it just means your looking over your avatars shoulder first person is over your sight .

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: gray dog
Hardly a cheap shot. Friday nights are are for laughing, loving, and being merry.

Mondays are for fixing the world's problems and showing intellectual superiority on social media.

review your first 2 replies, then get back with me.
I know for a fact, (with proof) video games caused nothing. But who am i? Facts are what they are.
Aint played a video game in 18 years, but i remember the rhetoric back then, it was as unfounded then, as it is today.
Were you alive, or, cognitive in 1992? Butt hurt over call of duty? My what you missed, years ago.

I gotta work today, i work alot, but im sure that makes me distrustworthy too, in your mind.

LMAO, both at superiority, and social media... This is trapperman bub, no media, and barely social. I disagree, and I HAVE THE COMPLEX?

Sheesh

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:11 PM

it was sub-zero by the way...the character who ripped an opponents head off, spinal cord still attached.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:23 PM

I got to go to work good day
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly910

if he learns gun control and respect, he can play shoot em kill em dead video games till he's blue in the face. The games have absolutely nothing to due with it...just like the guns have nothing to do with it. Passing the blame yet again.
Quite the difference...but those who grew up with them Absolutely cannot understand that.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 02:19 PM

My teenage boys play war video games where they shoot german soldiers. I played video games-remember one where you shot people with a crossbow, it was a blast. We are all intelligent enough to know that a game is not real life. Give a boy a stick and it becomes a gun... and that's not a problem if they are taught to defend the weak and helpless instead of killing them. The problem is lack of parenting, not games or guns.
Posted By: Don

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 08:51 PM

Hillbilly you have missed the entire point. It is about responsibility and respect. If your kids plays videos, you are responsible to tell them ,yes it is fun but it is not reality you can't do that in real life or yes we can play cops and robbers and you shoot the bad guy BUT IT IS NOT REAL LIFE. You need to learn respect and pass it on. No one respects anyone anymore. Your posts are a sign of that. I have an opinion and you are doing everything in your power to disrespect that opinion.You disagree of course and chose to only blame mental illness, not offering an alternative solution. Possibly moderating intake could change a mental conception of the facts.No censorship necessary just guidance.

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 09:03 PM

So Don your stance is that responsible parents are able to judge what is acceptable entertainment for their kids... perhaps even on a kid-by-kid basis?

Mike
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Violent video games - 02/24/18 09:23 PM

You guys ever hear of the term brain washing. Video games meets the criteria
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 12:29 AM

It was the original Dooms fault or maybe duke nukem?... This thread is as funny as all the people blaming Ozzy for the evil in the world back in the 80s... We had violent video games, we did not have drugs that make you feel absolutely nothing.... But hey lets ban games, AR's and whatever the next whacko picks for his rampage.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 12:37 AM

Everyone has inner demons to one degree or another. Not everyone has the will or mental ability to overcome them without serious intervention or life altering events. We could put the whole world in a Tibetan monastery where there is nothing but chores, meditation and some food and still there'd be crazy people sticking knives or whatever into their neighbors.

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63

I played Mario Bros. a few times... I don't go into a foaming rage over mushrooms or plumbing.

Do I think video games in general are an overall waste of time? I guess so. Some people waste lots of time playing them. I personally didn't spend much time playing them, and I still don't. Better ways to spend my time and money.

Are video games a contributing factor in mass shootings? Seems a stretch. Is there a possibility they could be a contributing factor? Guess that depends on who you ask... I think if they are a contributing factor its at the bottom of a list of far greater factors...

If one kid reacts to a video game by shooting up a school and 49,999,999 kids don't what do you plan to do?

If one person uses an AR to shoot up a school and 49,999,999 don't, what do you plan to do?

Mike
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 02:26 AM

I just played a few rounds of Call of Duty with my sons. Both are probably too young by helicopter parent standards.

Play the games with them once in a while, make sure they aren't going whacko thinking it's real life and, most importantly, prepare to lose. They are better at these games than we were.
Posted By: Sonny N

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 02:31 AM

Don’t be stupid I’ve been gaming since I was 3 and never had the urge to shoot up anything violent video games are all most of what I play
Posted By: danvee

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 02:44 AM

Maybe Im getting old but seems like over the generations things have not got better in this country. Seems like in my days kids for the most part respected the flag, went to church, spent time with parents and family. If you lived in a big city there was TV and it was limited and what you watched was not full of graphic violence and sex. It was a privilege to put up the flag in the school yard and recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" what has changed things it has to make you wonder. Some of the stuff on TV now even the sitcoms are pretty disgusting. Im not saying it was a perfect world but its gotten pretty bad, really would you rather have your kid watching a trapping video or playing some of the games they have now.

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 02:58 AM

Danvee, as a parent my preference would be the trapping video.

As a citizen of the U.S. what other people do with their kids is, for the most part, none of my business.

Mike

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 03:01 AM

you all that played video games all your life and never felt the need to shoot up the neighborhood . bet you wouldn't feel the need to eat a tide pod if you watched some moron do it on you tube , HUNDREDS DID. the tide pod deal is kind of like thinning the herd so to speak .nobody hurt but the morons eating the pods .
Posted By: Muskrat Al

Re: Violent video games - 02/25/18 05:29 AM

if video games make you do violent things you gotta be (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) up in the head already or very weak minded

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 02:46 AM

there are many out there touched in the head and week minded .
shooting my gun never once made me want to go out and shoot a bunch of people . I've spent untold hours shooting things with my gun never once have I looked over my sight of my unloaded gun at somebody and thought it might be cool to shoot somebody .
Some reason almost half the politicians in this country are trying t to take my guns away .
Posted By: SWIAfurharvester

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 03:16 AM

Posted By: Rye

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 06:08 AM

It’s not mental illness folks. It’s called Absent Parenting.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
So Don your stance is that responsible parents are able to judge what is acceptable entertainment for their kids... perhaps even on a kid-by-kid basis?

Mike

This is exactly what I would say. I've played video games since I was about 5. First Atari, then Nintendo, graduated to Sega, then Playstation. Quit for a time, then got a Wii, then an Xbox. I played Wii tonight, Mario. I don't want to kill anyone. I play Call of Duty from time to time, still don't want to kill anyone. COD is just soldiers doing their job. Blaming a game like that for killings is the same as saying anyone that served in the Military could be nothing but a killer....it's stupid. In Call of Duty, players are killing for good, not evil... as is true for most video games....except one that I know of.

Grand Theft Auto.......is bad. It glorifies killing cops, pedestrians... pretty much anyone that you meet that wants to prevent you from doing evil. If your kids are hooked on THAT game, you might want to take notice!

If your kid is in his room, or the living room, playing COD for a few hours a day, I don't see a reason to worry but if he's sitting there yelling DIE! DIE! DIE! and acting all crazy about it then, YEAH, you should probably pay attention to that. Not all kids are the same... the majority can handle first person shooting games... some kids... not so much. The key is... and I know this might be hard but....... PAY ATTENTION to your dang kids. Not just their video games... but their friends, their habits, their grades, their everything. Be a PARENT, not a buddy.

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 10:27 AM

I don't believe there are more insane people per 100,000 than 50 years ago. Might even be less. I don't believe your kids are at greater risk either. Probably less. I don't believe there is anything that can be done to reduce mass murder in the U.S. short of committing people to insane asylums again. That aint gonna happen. Putting an end to that was one of Reagans biggest mistakes. I have some advice though for anybody working to trample on my rights. Get a new plan.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 11:05 AM

Not everybody who drinks a beer will become an alcoholic. Not everybody who plays the bloody and guts games will be a killer. Those who lean to the wacko side will love these games and be MOST will be satisfied with only killing people in the game.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 05:03 PM

I mentored a kid long maybe 8 years ago he was from a broken home his mom asked me to take him out and be a role model for him. He was into the video games his mom tried everything to get him away from them and TV. Got him on the trapline and hunting once the kid scared my to death. Only interest he had was wanting to dispatch the animal in the trap. After I shot an antelope he wanted to use my gun to shoot it at close range in the head to see what would happen and talked about what he had viewed on different video games. I talked to his mother about my concerns and she though a good parent could not pick up on my concerns. This kid really scared me and I would never let him get near a gun, several times he came over and wanted to handle or see my guns, in short the kid was obsessed with them. They moved away the following year keep thinking I will see his name on the news someday. Im not saying every kid that watches a violent video is going over the top but it might be what pushes them over the edge. For one Im all for a law to keep guns secure to many are stolen or used for the wrong reason in the heat of an argument, or a young kid getting curious.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 05:44 PM

The foundation of the family has changed many tools needed for a child to grow up prepared for life are not just not there anymore. It's like a PC with no software on it in some cases.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 09:00 PM

Mortal Kombat taught me how to rip a persons head off, spine attached, and make it look cool(points if you remember the character). Yet ive never done it.
That was 1992...and boy howdy did folks get upset about that. Yall remember the blood code? How many of us who do committed school shootings?

Im sure spine ripping cases are on the rise since that game was the certain end of society back then, lotsa folks said so...
here we are later, blaming games.

sheeesh

Because violent video games have no affect on you, you feel it's the same for everyone who plays them? According to many mental health experts, it's not. The percentage is small, but there have been cases where kids have acted out these games in real life. No different than kids who act out a school shooting from a movie they saw. And that's not debatable, but proven. See Natural Born Killers and Basketball Diaries.

There was a case of a movie that I don't remember the name of where 3 kids kill another kid. These 3 guys saw the movie. They decided it might be cool to do the same. So, the 3 of them took this nerdy kid from school and they put him in intensive care. They admitted to having been inspired by the movie.

How about the 3 kids who committed suicide while playing Ozzie Ozborne's Suicide Solution? Coincidence?
Posted By: nh-dan7971

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 09:04 PM

One of the reasons why all these shooters have played these games is because almost every kid out there is or has played them. If you ask around you will be hard pressed to find any kid over 11 that's hasn't played one of these games

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: nh-dan7971
One of the reasons why all these shooters have played these games is because almost every kid out there is or has played them. If you ask around you will be hard pressed to find any kid over 11 that's hasn't played one of these games

I'm not hard pressed to find kids who haven't played these games cause I know of some who haven't. But, you are right in that the large majority of kids who have played them aren't going to act them out in real life. But, it's possible these shooters have. We know some have acted out based on movies. It's not just these games that causes people to do these things, but rather a combination of things. But, this could be a contributing factor.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Violent video games - 02/26/18 09:28 PM

Ban t.v. too. Go back to reading comic books. Make 'merica grrrrreat again.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Violent video games - 02/27/18 02:54 AM

99% of all serial killers consumed bread within 24 hours of commiting their murders. Is bread the cause?

Re: Violent video games - 02/27/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: jbyrd63
Their brainwashed, they hear you... but don't "hear" you!

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Don
Hillbilly you have missed the entire point. It is about responsibility and respect. If your kids plays videos, you are responsible to tell them ,yes it is fun but it is not reality you can't do that in real life or yes we can play cops and robbers and you shoot the bad guy BUT IT IS NOT REAL LIFE. You need to learn respect and pass it on. No one respects anyone anymore. Your posts are a sign of that. I have an opinion and you are doing everything in your power to disrespect that opinion.You disagree of course and chose to only blame mental illness, not offering an alternative solution. Possibly moderating intake could change a mental conception of the facts.No censorship necessary just guidance.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
But I stand by what I said, the blame game is a black hole, guns, games, TV, whatever.
I take young'uns hunting and fishing all the time. I can't be their parents, but I do my part. Does it help? No scientific data, but I'd like to think so.

The hilarious nature of how video games are evil, makes me chuckle, the idea that since graphics are better, unlike the cell phone you own, is, well, hypocritical.

Guns have evolved too, is that bad?

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 07:38 AM

Hillbilly you have missed the entire point. It is about responsibility and respect. If your kids plays videos, you are responsible to tell them ,yes it is fun but it is not reality you can't do that in real life

Really, this is the games fault?
Then yes, guns are evil.

Do you hear yourself?

Yet I'm the arrogant butthole? Really?
Posted By: James

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 07:51 AM

Evil video game made him do it = Evil gun made him do it.

Ban one, ban the other.

Jim

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 07:57 AM

I have an opinion and you are doing everything in your power to disrespect that opinion.You disagree of course and chose to only blame mental illness, not offering an alternative solution...

Yeah, I'm bad about pointing out flaws in logic. Sorry, I do that alot.
Mostly when you want to blame an inanimate object for current events.
Prohibition worked out well, let's try it again. War on drugs obviously worked, so, let's ban video games too.

I don't have a solution, but I know revoking your freedoms won't help a dang thing...
Posted By: Nick C

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 08:00 AM

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 08:01 AM

Crap, James just helped make my point...OK, ban the games, it screwed up my mind, we have proof.
Hi James wink

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 08:12 AM

LMAO Nick C, yeah, that's gonna get some mileage. Thank you sir!

Internet people aren't real, so I've been told...

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I don't Know what the answer is . For Christ sake we have hundreds of kids eating Tide pods because they seen it on you tube

Ban YouTube, it's obvious.
No YouTube, no tide pod challenge.
All is right in the world...
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Nick C

Now that, right thar, is Funny laugh
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 12:01 PM

Someday I would be proud if my sons grew up to be strong warriors. My firstborn son's name is Garrett - which means "brave with a spear". Maybe I need to get some video games for him to play to help bring out his inner killer. I think it would be a wonderful thing if the young men of America were eager to kill the enemy.

by Barry Sadler...

"Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret

Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men we'll test today
But only three win the Green Beret

Trained to live, off nature's land
Trained in combat, hand to hand
Men who fight by night and day
Courage deep, from the Green Beret

Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men we'll test today
But only three win the Green Beret

Back at home a young wife waits
Her Green Beret has met his fate
He has died for those oppressed
Leaving her this last request

Put silver wings on my son's chest
Make him one of America's best
He'll be a man they'll test one day
Have him win the Green Beret"

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 01:33 PM

[quote=Don]

Video games are suggestive mind numbing brainwashing...inanimate objects they are not. Banning them will.not work, but they are a major piece of the puzzle that has become our direspectful population.

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
[quote=Don]

Video games are suggestive mind numbing brainwashing...inanimate objects they are not. Banning them will.not work, but they are a major piece of the puzzle that has become our direspectful population.

That's exactly why it's a dumb comparison drawn between video games and guns.

Re: Violent video games - 02/28/18 10:38 PM

Video games tend to leap into children's hands Willy nilly, just like scary black rifles do...

Gotta blame something, blame the guns...I mean games.

You really can't hear yourselves can you? How many millions of folks play those games daily, you dislike, yet have no affect on society? Did ya look it up? Didn't think so.
Posted By: charles

Re: Violent video games - 03/01/18 07:38 AM

What public value is served by violent games? Join the military like my generation did. Of course we played cowboys and Indians, but not day and night.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums