Home

New satellite

Posted By: Scuba1

New satellite - 02/05/18 09:29 PM

So tomorrow is the first test launch of a Falcon heavy. If all goes well it will leave the pad at Cape Canaveral at 13:30 . Elon Musk does have a sense of humor as the payload is a Mk1 Tesla Roadster that will be parked in a low earth orbit. I wonder if they are going to leave the keys in the ignition. I guess there are a few people on DC and baltimore that are trying to work out how to steal that car but for now at least it is safe from the Super Bowl riots. laugh
Posted By: Redknot

Re: New satellite - 02/05/18 09:46 PM

I hope the test of our mars rocket ride goes well...It's not a Saturn V, but it's got some power...

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 12:23 AM

Hey they can pick up the car on their way to mars and use it for joy rides there.

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 01:41 PM

I am just hoping for a rocket that can reach a geocentric orbit with reliability...Perhaps astronauts from the United States will no longer have to hitch-hike to the Space Station on a Russian rocket...

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 05:27 PM

T - 60 minutes!!
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 05:48 PM

A heavily government subsidized car launched by a heavily government subsidized rocket to sit in orbit and block my sunshine. Bah humbug.

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 05:53 PM

Wind conditions just pushed launch back to 3:45pm... Darn wind...

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 08:14 PM

T-30 minutes and counting!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 08:52 PM

I would like to see the United States get a decent space program again. I don't think we should work with other countries to do it either.

Keith
Posted By: wetdog

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 09:00 PM

And that was amazing just amazing

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 09:07 PM

Wow what a success!!! Physics at its best!!! Go Starman...Anyone notice the "don't Panic" on the dash board...Likely a reference from Douglas Adams!!!

Re: New satellite - 02/06/18 11:58 PM

42 grin

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
A heavily government subsidized car launched by a heavily government subsidized rocket to sit in orbit and block my sunshine. Bah humbug.

Come on, you can't be that daft by nature and had to work hard to be like that for sure. Its a private company launching a rocket twice the size of anything that is currently in service. Something that NASA can not even dream up, let alone get financing for by us tax payers.
Its ok, the sun is down and its safe to come out from under yer rock for a few hours now.
FYI NASA is funded mostly by our tax dollars. Spacex is not.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:11 AM

I was kidding scuba. Go back to watching space.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:22 AM

This is just so cool on so many levels.
Its a private company ( person) decided to make it possible to go to Mars.
He drove that car for a while and did not drive the latest and greatest one that his company just came up with before putting it in the nose cone of his rocket.
This thing is going to be bigger then the Apollo program ... a lot bigger. And its not done by a country but a person.
The Don'tPanic and my 42 answer is just for the nerds on here that get it.

Douglas Adams ( Author of " The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy " ) is right now dancing a jig up there for sure.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:39 AM

Hope he kept insurance on that thing....lots of space junk up there. Don't know what kind of a rider you would need though.
Posted By: KansasAce

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:52 AM

I'm with Scuba on this one. There may be some subsidies going on but hey most of my farmers get a subsidy of some sort. The government can't and won't be effective and or efficient. FedEx/UPS > USPS SpaceX > NASA its just the way it is. I love this stuff very cool.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:10 AM

Scuba do you know who's birthday it is today?

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:21 AM

Got me there wet dog
Can I ask a friend ??

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:27 AM

No but. A clue he sent us to the moon

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:43 AM

Sorry scuba I was wrong on that. I was feed fake news. By a huge space nurd that today was Von Braun's birthday. Well it is not till march. It is spacex 11th birthday.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:44 AM

You had me going there for a bit not knowing my history
Posted By: bhugo

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:47 AM

That was sweet. The rumble was immense. Felt good to see a big rocket again.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:49 AM

Me to. I was talking to a real space but and he is hardly ever wrong on that kind of stuff. Spacex does have a room in honor of Von Braun. Just wonder if spacex is his old business.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:54 AM

Isn't it strange how a private person / company can kick of a mars program that hardly anyone thought was possible with next to no cost overruns and pretty much on time with its self imposed schedule.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 12:55 PM

Michael, LOL at the "42". Somehow I figured you'd know that! Did you see the bumper sticker on the car "So long and thanks for all the fish"...My understanding is there was actually a towel in the glove box with a copy of the Hitchhikers Guide...

As you said, "Just cool on so many levels"
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:32 PM

The launch was awesome, the crowd sure was into it. Love the car idea.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 01:36 PM

It's pretty cool either way you look at it.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 09:30 PM

Not that I'm against science and research, but I can think of many better ways to waste your money. Now we have only thrown more space junk out there, sad that money could not have been used for medical research or something to really benefit mankind.

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 10:19 PM

"We" Did no such thing. Elon Musk can spend his money however he sees fit. Many people seem to forget that this was financed by a private person. Not our tax dollar.
Posted By: 83401trapper

Re: New satellite - 02/07/18 10:52 PM

42 laugh made my day
Posted By: jk

Re: New satellite - 02/08/18 01:51 AM

Fisherman this is research, pure research. Not rehashing something old. Our worlds future rides on those things. Same as Columbus going to the indies, just that America got in the way

Re: New satellite - 02/10/18 09:27 PM

Re: New satellite - 02/11/18 12:04 AM

Raise defector shields Spock. Go to RED ALERT
© 2024 Trapperman Forums