Home

Otter ?

Posted By: Tommie

Otter ? - 02/05/18 03:12 AM

Anybody ever use a foothold in the trail from creek to the pond. I would use a conibear but illegal on land in Tennessee.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 03:18 AM

With a drowner rig. Those buggers are a real handful alive in a trap.

Osky

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 03:25 AM

The water is shallow at the creek and at the pond I can put a 330 . Plan on setting the creek with a few 330's and all the toilets with 750's. I thought I would try a blind set on the trail but didn't know if it would spook them,with one in the trap.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 04:27 AM

I don' think you want to mess with a live otter in a trap on land. Listen to what Osky said.

Moosetrot
Posted By: SemperFi

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 09:49 AM

I’ve caught them in #2’s. Big dirt hole I had set by the creek for bobcat. They’re kind of bipolar on land in a foothold.
Posted By: Schipper

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 12:45 PM

I've caught a small pile in 1.5 dukes in trail sets, never had an issue holding them. Use a small stepping stick 4-5" from pan center and keep them from tangling on anything.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 02:17 PM

I've cought them in pockets along the Creek in a 1.5 laminated ...setting for coon . It held them and they were in the bank waiting. Not something I think should be done regularly, 330 in the creek is better.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 03:00 PM

I have snared them coming out of shallow water at a crossover. Got one in exactly the same place 3 years running. The first was still very much alive when I got there. Pretty much just a blur of motion non-stop with no sign of slowing down. Quite amazing animals.
Posted By: Schipper

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 03:52 PM

330 why don't you think a person shouldn't target them with a foothold in a non drowning situation? I ve personally never seen any damage. Just curious.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 04:36 PM

One trapper told me an otter was like a beaver on steroids in the water. Probably live on land, much worse.

Re: Otter ? - 02/05/18 11:56 PM

Thanks, probably skip out on the foot hold on the trail and hit the toilets and blind set the creek
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: Otter ? - 02/06/18 12:14 AM

1.5, 1.75 , 2 all will work make sure stout chain and swivel heavy, I've caught several in 1 1/2 long springs in shallow water rat set, they ant grizzly bears there otters and no match for a 22.
Colt
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Otter ? - 02/06/18 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommie
Thanks, probably skip out on the foot hold on the trail and hit the toilets and blind set the creek

Set the creek using pocket sets with a drowning cable. I have caught otter in pocket sets using a 1 1/2 coil on a 3/32nd drowning cable set. Everyone was caught by the front foot and drowned.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Otter ? - 02/06/18 09:32 PM

Would a 220 not be a better choice I have found them to be more efficient on otter then a 330 with them quick little buggers~
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Otter ? - 02/06/18 10:57 PM

A trail from a creek to pond is one of the best set locations possible for otter, Raccoon, mink and muskrat. If open water run a drowner to deep water and place a 1.5 or 2 Trap which ever legal in your state. Plase the trap under approx 2 inches of water and at base of trail both ends pond and creek, make sure to add lure on the bank both sides of slide. I would still conceal a body grip of legal size 160 being perfect if legal as it will catch all furbearers mentioned. When trapping especially water trapping I like to gang set and be out in a couple days to new ground.

Re: Otter ? - 02/06/18 10:59 PM

Law Dog 220 would be perfect if legal. Question than is ethical as 220 could seriously harm a hound, much less likely with a 160 which will get the job done.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 12:23 AM

220s when set in open trail sets, not crawl unders or cubbies, are very hound safe. Hounds will go over the seven inch opening every time unless baited or blocked.

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 12:47 AM

walleye101 - would beagles go under 220? I was just taught to not set 220, 280 or 330 on land weather legal or not. Even when I set 330's I set everyone under the water with a dive stick.
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 01:13 AM

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 01:19 AM

Fur Minator what kind of a set was it, besides a set that caught an otter? Nice Otter.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 01:30 AM

This western Kansas boy is jealous. What a beautiful animal. The closest I’ve been is the discover channel.
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Otter ? - 02/07/18 01:30 PM

No.2, 550 RJ, NO.3 or a 650 Will hold em just find. As for being a handful in a foothold my advice would be not to pet it, lol. You can't block down the creek with a 280 or 330 or where he goes over into the pond. I've trapped a many in 220's but you want to force them down into it. An otter got a bounce to their movement and some time will go across the 220 if not place just right.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Otter ? - 02/08/18 02:30 AM

Iv caught several over the years in foot holds (I usually use a #11 for them) the main thing IMO is to make Sure the trap has good swivels on them and DO NOT use an offset trap the only pull outs Iv ever had on them where in Off set traps (not set for otter)
Posted By: petey

Re: Otter ? - 02/08/18 03:02 AM

Caught this one 4-5 years ago. First live otter I had ever been around........for what it's worth a catch pole wasn't the smartest thing I have ever tried.

Posted By: dublelung

Re: Otter ? - 02/08/18 01:21 PM

I've caught them in footholds on dry land but I don't like to due to them twisting off. If you block each end of the trail with footholds on drowners or body grips there's really not much need in a middle of the trail set.
Posted By: jk

Re: Otter ? - 02/08/18 03:14 PM

Have released over half a dozen from footholds, mainly 1 1/2 dukes. You get one shot with the catch poles. Most sit still until the loop touches them then they blow up. In my opinion, I don't want to get bit, is to choke them down till they don't move, get the trap off quick. They all have come back and just rolled over and "slithered" into the creek and disappeared into the creek. But the one that I was not quick enough on was a battle all the way. I have shown on here photos of 6 otters in one picture, we are over run with them. I am in a no kill zone of course......jk
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: Otter ? - 04/06/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: John-Chagnon
Fur Minator what kind of a set was it, besides a set that caught an otter? Nice Otter.

John, my response is little late! Hahaha

It was a dirt hole set baited with muskrat. I knew there was otter there and the shelf ice was shutting down my water traps.

I caught one this year in a blind set on land as well.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Otter ? - 04/07/18 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Moosetrot
I don' think you want to mess with a live otter in a trap on land. Listen to what Osky said.

Moosetrot

Lol.

What y'all scared of. Come to Ga and I'll get that fear of a live otter out of ya system.

I've lost count how many I've caught high and dry in footholds. 1.5 and 1.75 coils...and otter was my target with those traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums