Home

PA BOBCAT WEIGHT

Posted By: Mikeymike

PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 12:26 AM

What is the average bobcat weigh in pa
Posted By: white marlin

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 12:32 AM

I believe the average weight of an adult male bobcat in PA is 24 pounds.
Posted By: Hern

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 12:50 AM

PGC web site-
A mature bobcat averages 36 inches in length, in- cluding a stubby, 6-inch tail. This bobbed tail gives the bobcat its name. Pennsylvania bobcats weigh 15 to 20 pounds, with large individuals as heavy as 35 pounds.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:44 AM

By comparison eastern Idaho mature male bobcats average about 31" in length excluding the tail and weigh about 27 pounds.
Posted By: Fairchild #17

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 04:44 AM

A friend of mine killed a tom a few years ago with his dogs that weighed 46 pounds from Tunkhannock, Pa.
The cat was just a total freak of nature. Huge head, long fat body, and a big gut.

My largest cat was 30lb.
Posted By: Renny

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 10:19 AM

I love big cats and I cannot lie...

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:10 PM

Renny I know you caught 35+ Pa. Bobcats.
Can you post pictures of a few?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:11 PM

They drive me nuts and i don't know why.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:22 PM

This one went 27 pounds, adult male.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:25 PM

This one was over 30 forgot the exact weight.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:35 PM

Long ago, was a big male:

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 01:59 PM

you cheat grinisn't that a lynx the black gentleman is holding.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 02:07 PM

Pcr2 I think your right.
My that kitty got big feet

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: pcr2
you cheat grinisn't that a lynx the black gentleman is holding.

Yep, I put that up because they look much heavier than they are.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 02:45 PM

our local furbuyer bought a tanned one last winter from somewhere and i had a chance to really check it out.those feet were crazy big.would like to compare a linx and bobble carcass side by side just once for poops and giggles.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hern
Renny I know you caught 35+ Pa. Bobcats.
Can you post pictures of a few?

I have no idea how to post pictures from my phone anymore.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pcr2
our local furbuyer bought a tanned one last winter from somewhere and i had a chance to really check it out.those feet were crazy big.would like to compare a linx and bobble carcass side by side just once for poops and giggles.

I've done it.They are almost exactly alike from the elbows and knees up.The lower legs are only slightly longer,about 1/2".From the ankles down,the feet are noticeably longer,more so on the back feet and the toes are considerably longer.

There are some slight differences in the face,notably,the muzzle isn't quite as tall on the lynx and it's canines aren't as long.

Back when there weren't many good lynx manikins,I mounted quite a few lynx on bobcat manikins after changing those features mentioned.It pays to study the differences in that kind of situation.
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 04:49 PM

Called this one in (WMU 2G) this season- was far and away the smallest one Ive ever seen- didn't weigh or measure it, but then again I don't weigh or measure anything anyway really.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/29/18 04:53 PM

beagleador,i'll be hitting the night circuit starting tonight.have a list of grey fox and bobble spots i've been keeping track of all season.son's first season night hunting with me but he has proven himself in the daylight and is 18 and giddy to go.the next couple weeks have become one of my fav. times of the year.

thanx Taxi,i think of funny things sometimes but thought they would be very similar.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 04:03 PM

This one weighed 36 pounds 12 OZ... The one under the cooler about 20.

This one was 34 pounds 9 OZ

A pig that got released that was well over 30 pounds...

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 05:04 PM

your 2 girls gave me flashbacks of my 2 boys and my curs.Thank you.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor

Nice "bobcat" I did a study on those kind of bobcats one year. Heaviest was in the mid thirties if I remember right. Only one that was 30 +. It was a trapping and parasite study but the big guy was shot. Had some nasty broken teeth.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 06:58 PM

Do you think they ever kill deer? V EvLynch apparently claimed Maine Bobcat killed deer quite often. But if you look at the pictures in that book about him, some of those bobcats look like they must go about 50 lb.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 07:28 PM

that is a lynx with tags in his ears eb
Posted By: Hawks

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 07:47 PM

EB nice lynx and who was the young guy with that other bobcat! Butch BG - before grey!
Nice cats.
My PA cat last year was a Tom weighed 29 pounds and was 29” from bore to base of tail. Long but skinny. He was a younger adult Tom. This years cat weighed 21 pounds and was an older female with worn K9s. She measured 24” from nose to base of tail. Both at the Taxidermist.
I must be doing something wrong because the guys out west get hundreds of dollars for their cats and mine cost me hundreds!!!!
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 07:53 PM

how much do you suppose this one weighs?
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/30/18 07:54 PM

Didn't weigh this big scrapper but he had to be 40+. Scarred eye and missing an ear.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/31/18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: PAskinner
Do you think they ever kill deer? V EvLynch apparently claimed Maine Bobcat killed deer quite often. But if you look at the pictures in that book about him, some of those bobcats look like they must go about 50 lb.

Seeing bobcats in the wild that are not in a trap is rare, but we have a bunch around us in Lycoming County, and there I have watched them hunting three times, and wandering through several other times. About ten years ago I watched a big bobcat try to stalk a fawn hidden in the brush. Every time the cat got too close, the doe would rush her and make a big show. Eventually the mama cat turned around and left and then three kits tumbled out of a hollow log right behind the cabin and the four of them made their way up the hill. They certainly do eat deer, probably little ones that can't run, either young or old.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/31/18 02:53 AM

Thanks Renny.
You and your daughters get some big Bobcats.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/31/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: marathonman
that is a lynx with tags in his ears eb

Before I knew better we would get them in coyote sets & ME Fish & Wildlife would come out and tag them.

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/31/18 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Ryan McLeod
Originally Posted By: ebsurveyor

Nice "bobcat" I did a study on those kind of bobcats one year. Heaviest was in the mid thirties if I remember right. Only one that was 30 +. It was a trapping and parasite study but the big guy was shot. Had some nasty broken teeth.

Younger ones have nice teeth.

The tagging station:

Posted By: don Wolf

Re: PA BOBCAT WEIGHT - 01/31/18 06:12 AM

I was just watching to see how long it took somebody to figure out that that was a Lynx. Pretty obvious if you know what your looking at. Two things give it away quickly. The large feet and the long hair tufts on the ears.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums