Home

Any runners on here?

Posted By: robert.d12

Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:30 AM

I just got home from a 1/2 marathon, a friend of ours talked us into trying it. It is called the frozen snot in Lock Haven PA. It isn't your average jog down the road kind of race. You go up two mountains with really steep inclines and then back down the other side that is just as steep over and over again. There is a few huge boulder fields that are just crazy hard to get through. I can only imagine how sore I will we tomorrow. frown I enjoyed it but it was really rough. Anyone else ever do anything like this?

This was from a couple years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iiUzet6nIM
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:39 AM

Wow congrats on just entering! I used to love to run when I was boxing and again in the military. Wish I would have kept it up. I have a client that does those 100-mile in 24 hour runs....cant imagine!!
Posted By: wwc

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:41 AM

100 miles in 24hours I pant in a car doing that anymore.

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:43 AM

in this race I finished 79th out of 250 people and it still took me over five hours to go 13.5 miles.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:47 AM

Nice work!
I log 1,200 running miles or so each year. Am training for a full right now coming up in a few months. Ran 9 miles this morning.
I'm 52 and this will only be my 2nd full marathon but I've ran 17 half marathons so thought it was time to step it up a little more.
Running has changed my life. I used to weigh 210 and smoked. Now I'm 175 and and run four times a week. has really helped with endurance trapping too, I can walk forever it seems.
Good job again and way to go!
Jim

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:50 AM

Thanks guy, I should have also added that this is the first race I have ever ran...pick a heck of one to start with. laugh
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 01:57 AM

I had to run from the den to the bathroom this evening. And I almost made it in time. No matter, it is Saturday. Bath day.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:00 AM

Good job!

smile
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:07 AM

Instead of running...I go ice fishing, shooting, kayaking, drive my muscle car, mow the lawn,snow plow the driveway, work, trolling for trout in the summer, do some trapping, BUT ..I do know some runners....it's a disorder for sure, iam not wired like that.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:11 AM

I run... when something is chasing me... and I'm out of ammo.

grin

All kidding aside, I admire anyone with that much dedication.

Mike
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 03:15 AM

I use to run a bunch.. More walking and Hiking now tho..
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 03:34 AM

JabNE- those full marathons are a deal a guy only has to do once! I'll admit I didn't properly train for it, but now that I know how I felt that next morning I can't imagine trying to prepare for that again!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
I run... when something is chasing me... and I'm out of ammo.

grin

All kidding aside, I admire anyone with that much dedication.

Mike

My doctor told me if I didn’t start running I was going to die! I asked how long do I have doc??
Posted By: Marathon

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:08 AM

I’ve run a few marathons, but trail running is a different beast. A little northeast of Lock Haven is Hyner View. I ran the Hyner Challenge there. That was a kick in the pants. Congrats on running what sounds like a tough first race.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:09 AM

I used to run but that was back before Forrest Gump made it fashionable. Not long distances but I ran five miles a day, day in/day out. Loved it.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:09 AM

Congrats on the half!
I love running!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:11 AM

My wife runs 5k’s I really admire how much effort & time she and people like her put into it
Posted By: Marathon

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 04:19 AM

If you have Netflix, look up The Barkley Marathons. This is a race for the insane
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 05:10 AM

I ran to the stove the other day when my pot of noodles started boiling over. Took about 2 hours to recover from that.
Posted By: malenurse

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 06:01 AM

Not me, but my wife does a few full marathon's each year. She also does the " Tough Mudder" runs. This fall she plans on doing Ely portage 1/2 marathon. She will have to do the half marathon while carrying a canoe. She is one tough grandma.

I admire how hard she( or anyone) works to compete in any kind of distance run.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 12:39 PM

I started about 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing serious. I try for at least a 3-5 miles. Only got two days in this week. Most I ever did is 7 miles. I try and average no more than a 8:40 mile. Male nurse, does your wife use ear buds for the phone on her arm? If so which ones. I don't do any 5k's or nothing, but may start. My work competes with local companies in a corporate shield series.
Posted By: deerdragger

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:20 PM

I've ran a handful of halves, 1 full and a couple Ragnar relay races (203 miles). For me - I'm either training for a race, training for an elk hunt, or I don't run at all. One of the things I enjoy most about running organized races is the atmosphere they seem to have. I'm not competitive at all - I'm way too slow to be. There's such a positive energy being among thousands of other healthy, goal-oriented, hard-working folks - people who have been getting up an hour early for the last 6 months and pounding the pavement to be there. And everyone seems so supportive of one another. It's a cool thing.

I don't think I'll ever run another full marathon though. The training was such a major time killer. Having to carve out 2, 3 or even 4 hours each Saturday for my weekly long-run was a challenge. I was amazed, however, at how readily a person's body responds to the training. I've used various training programs that are available online. It takes so much of the guess work out of it as it tells you how many miles to run each day in order to be ready for the race. Cool stuff.
Posted By: 4Cody4

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:39 PM

My wife and I have run several races and a handful of marathons. This summer we are signed up for some trail races including one 50k. The tough part for me isn’t the running, it’s the time commitment. It’s also tough now that training is started and I have to run inside. Getting miles on a treadmill is not my favorite.
Posted By: tennjed9

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 02:45 PM

I'm a runner, especially trail running. I enjoy the challenge. I ran a half trail marathon last weekend in the slop and snow. Loved it! Keep up the good work!
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 03:02 PM

I considered myself a runner most of my life. I only ran once that would I considered completion after high school that was 1/4 mile sprint. I was about 25 at the time got greased by some younger runners. My son ran cross country in high school and I'd go with him on some 3-4 mile training runs. Never did the longer 8-10 mile deal with him didn't want to slow him down. I ran off and on never did the 5ks and fundraiser things, just ran for myself. Did pretty good right to about age 50 could hold my own in my age group keep up with some youngsters. Then just got bored and Forest Gumped it..All done running now! Took to just fast walking keep my legs under me. Only ran short distances to get out of the way things that might hit me or fall on me.. Couple years back when the cancer got me I really lost my legs. Lost a lot of muscle with the down time and had a worn out hip replaced just over a year ago. Right now I'm getting as close to back to actually be able to run as I haven't for last 3 years. What sucks about that is I'm now destroying what is left of my other hip..Bad genetics..
Got a 30 something niece does the 100 mile bike races, Ragnars, Mud runs, neat stuff they didn't do in my peak days. I'd love to take my son go with her on one of the shorter adventures just cause.... Right now though if someone yells run! I'd have to settle for hobble duck and cover. LOL hope I don't get shot or the tree falls beside me.
So I say run why ya can and enjoy, just remember you may pay later. Like a car ya wear out your tires, suspension, maybe even blow up your engine.. Factory didn't put no grease fittings on my hips. Design flaw..

Mac

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Marathon
I’ve run a few marathons, but trail running is a different beast. A little northeast of Lock Haven is Hyner View. I ran the Hyner Challenge there. That was a kick in the pants. Congrats on running what sounds like a tough first race.

Congrats on the Hyner! the people we were with have done it and said the frozen snot is harder but the Hyner is really thought too.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 03:41 PM

ifin yall see me running ya best get, something really bad is coming.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 09:05 PM

Last time I ran was high school sports, running is work and I get paid to work and you would have to pay ALOT to get me to run.
Posted By: Ransom

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 09:53 PM

I've run 7 marathons,half marathons and several 10 and 5 k's. Two marathons were The Boston Marathon which was one the greatest experiences I've had in my life and my hardest accomplishment. Boston loves their runners and treats them like rock stars.If you are a runner you should try to qualify,you'll be glad you did.
Posted By: Iowagian

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Marathon
If you have Netflix, look up The Barkley Marathons. This is a race for the insane

Indeed! That’s one crazy race! Myself, I’ve been a runner for 35 years...have run a number of full marathons....the last being Boston in 2014, the year after the terrorist attack. It was pretty amazing. Probably my last full marathon. But it was a great one to go out on
Posted By: Marty

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 10:18 PM

I have never run a race of any kind but am going try to do the silverback triathlon in june...intermediate level is 10k run, 1.5 k swim and 40k bike.

Hopefully it ain't to hot that day.
Posted By: Remington700

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 10:27 PM

I have run for about the last 7 years. I do several 5k's a year. I have done a few 10k's and 1 half marathon. I also have done a few Spartan races. It takes a lot of dedication and time. It is very rewarding though.
Posted By: timbremn

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 11:20 PM

I used to love to run. Did my fair share of triahtlons too.. Badly tore a hamstring as few years ago, now i just fish and trap.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/28/18 11:39 PM

Go Marty!
Jim
Posted By: Tim H.

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 12:05 AM

I bacpack and lift weights, but never had much gumption to run. Someday, maybe.
Congratulations on your half marathon!
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 12:07 AM

Congrats on your accomplishment! Been running for 20 years. Everything from marathons to 5k to tough mudder at 50. Mostly half’s and 10ks now that I’m getting older. Still want to do another marathon and a 50k. Wife and I are running in all 50states. Have 27 done and CO and NM scheduled for this summer.
Posted By: bulletbox

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 12:32 AM

Only if there is a bad dude behind me and I'm out of bullets...

Or a mean mama cow, but she will go to the packer the next time I have her in the pen...

Life is to short for bucking horses and fighting cows...
Posted By: flyman4383

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 12:37 AM

I run and swim laps in the winter. Road bike until it's too cold. People don't look at me and think I'm a trapper, partly because they know my other hobbies and the way I dress. Just a few weeks ago I was boiling my traps and suited up for a road bike ride. Not many trappers out there boiling traps while wearing spandex:) I've had great trap days and come home and rode 50 miles. It was always about losing weight for me, but getting out and clearing my head is a lot of it now. I've always wanted to find a way to check my trap line on a mountain bike.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 04:05 AM

I tried this running thing once but kept spilling my drink
Posted By: Cedar2RTO

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 04:27 AM

I started running Marathons last Fall. I've done 2 so far. The Mohawk-Hudson Marathon here in Schenectady/Albany x2. I'm running the one in Buffalo in May also. Sounds like your 13.5 was a crazy one to start with. They'll probably get better from here on out and I bet you won't be as sore as you think.
Congrats.

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 03:44 PM

Here are the videos I took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvO8BKeXko
Posted By: waggler

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 03:50 PM

I guess I look for reasons not to have to run, but I can walk/hike circles around people half my age.
Seriously though, doesn't long term running cause knee damage? I have a friend who was addicted to running; he had to have both knees replaced in his 50's.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/29/18 04:45 PM

I used to run quite a bit and was always heavier in frame. I ran several halves and one full marathon at age 52. (10 minute mile pace) and have not run much since. I walk a lot as exercise and also trapping and hunting. I snowshoe a lot when snow is here as snowshoes I find very joint friendly and a good work out.

Bryce
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/30/18 12:08 AM

Been a runner on and off since I was 18. I enjoy it more now at 47 than I did in my 20s and 30s. I train more for obstacle course racing now, longest runs are 13 to 15 miles. The Spartan Beast I did in Killington Vermont in 2014 was BY FAR the most difficult thing I’ve done physically to this day. I did one at at Wintergreen Ski Resort in Virginia , it was brutal as well. I still love to just run though....
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Any runners on here? - 01/30/18 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Scuba1
I tried this running thing once but kept spilling my drink

Difficult to light a smoke too. Lol

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums