Home

Best tannery for a fox?

Posted By: robert.d12

Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 08:03 PM

Friends of mine just caught their first fox and are looking to have it tanned where would be the best place to send it?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 08:59 PM

I sent 2 to Moyles a couple years back one was ripped taking it off of the stretcher so I marked it with a red zip tie and on the invoice as damaged, to my surprise they both came back looking good and the ripped on was repaired like it never was ripped~
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 09:01 PM

Any idea what the wait time is at moyles right now?
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 09:03 PM

Ive sent everything but a fox to sleepy creek tannery in Iowa. Ben is a great guy and will treat you right. Turn around time aient too bad there either.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 09:06 PM

Moyles is saying 7 month turn around. Not sure if that is true or not. The last time I was there, the receiving area was almost empty. So who knows.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 09:09 PM

When was that 2006 LOL
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
When was that 2006 LOL

smile
Posted By: Miley

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/12/18 10:12 PM

Z&L in Jersey
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/13/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Miley
Z&L in Jersey

x2..or Tubari in NY........Google is your friend
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/13/18 12:37 PM

I've only been in the game 5 years but Moyle does AWESOME work from what I can tell. A long turnaround time but very nice end product.
Posted By: ottertrapper

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/13/18 01:45 PM

Moyles for me I have tried the Iowa one wasn’t happy I’d rather wait longer for a good product. Heard good things about Z&L
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/13/18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: traprjohn
Originally Posted By: Miley
Z&L in Jersey

x2..or Tubari in NY........Google is your friend

Tubari is in Jersey aren't they? I believe I've read on here that Zagger has used them before. I could be wrong. Send him a pm and see how he liked their work.
Posted By: stoney

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/13/18 03:36 PM

I'll also vouch for Moyle Mink and Tannery. I've sent anywhere between 2-20 pelts annually over the last 5 years from the east coast. Turn around time is long, but usually so am I about getting it all put up and shipped out. Best quality tan I've seen and very reasonable prices especially if you send a few at a time.

I've thought about using someone closer but about 3 years ago I sent a single coyote to get tanned. A close friend of mine killed it at deer camp and evidently didn't handle it quick enough. I fleshed it, stretched and dried the hide as quickly as possible, but could tell it was starting to slip. I sent it out with the 30 day service as we wanted to get it back for Christmas. Not even a few days after receiving it, Moyle's called and said the fur slipped out in the tanning solution and it would essentially turn out as fur off leather. They asked if I wanted it at that point, and I said no. They never asked me for any payment after they already had time and the mess in the hide. Couldn't ask for better quality service so I've been happy to always give them my business and tell others about my experience.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/14/18 04:54 AM

Great Northern Fur in Spooner, Wi
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/14/18 01:59 PM

Moyles. They have done real well on the Red's and Swifts(Kit).
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/14/18 02:10 PM

Last couple of years I have sent fox, coyote, coon, skunk and mink to Sleep Creek in Iowa. They do a good job. I have sent furs over 40 years to almost everyone doing tanning work and most do a good job on average. I tan a few myself every year when I get the time. Just don't have the time to do a lot. Too many other irons in the fire.
Posted By: Zimmer

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/14/18 03:07 PM

I used Tubari (New Jersey) a few times for RF, Coyotes, Coon, mink and badger - 20+ $ is real good, they did a good job and are great to work with.
Posted By: sbhooper

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/15/18 07:13 PM

Furs for Fun, if they are still in business. Did great work for me.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Best tannery for a fox? - 01/15/18 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Great Northern Fur in Spooner, Wi

What he said! Nothing is guaranteed, but below is a link to my great experience with GNF. Happy trapping! ScottW

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads....Exp#Post5837026
© 2024 Trapperman Forums