Home

Rough Day On The Line

Posted By: Mountainmanjosh

Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:28 PM

I'm Standing Outside after school and thinking about trapping when I decide to go Set some Traps for Bobcat because the season is almost over and I haven't set any yet. I Went inside and got my gear together and headed for the woods. I trudged through the snow slipping and sliding and struggling to climb up the hills in front of me meanwhile thinking to myself what a tough man I Am braving the cold and the hills by myself right before dark. I finally got to the area I wanted to set and picked out a spot to make a set. I attempted to set my MB550 but couldn't get it set, so I carried it up to a rock to try to set it on the rock. I finally got it set and went to take my feet off the springs but my boot had frozen to it so The Trap came up with my foot and went off. "Son of a biscuit" I said out loud. I struggled with the trap and got it set once again and carried it over to the site. I bedded the trap as best I could and pounded my earth anchor through the frozen ground. I looked at the trap and decided I could do a better job of bedding It, so I was moving it around a little bit when I heard the trap fire. I yanked my hands back as fast as I could and felt The Jaws nick my finger. I looked down and saw that both of my gloves were caught in the Jaws. I thanked God I hadn't gotten my hands caught. I tried pulling my gloves free but could only free one because the other one was really caught, so I'm standing there in the cold with one glove on trying to get the other one out. Eventually I got it out, but I couldn't get the trap reset so after another son of a biscuit moment I Decided to just move that trap to the side and set a 1-1/2 There instead. Hopefully it's strong enough. Anyways, I just wired it to a log and finished making the set and left. The hike home was full of more slipping and almost breaking my ankles when I finally made it back just before it got completely dark. It was a rough day, but thankfully school is cancelled tmrw so I've got all day to make more sets. Be safe out there everybody!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:31 PM

LOL, Live and learn! Hope you let someone know where you were gonna be and what time you planned to get back.
Posted By: rednecktrapper

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:32 PM

Better Luck tomorrow!
Posted By: Jim Frazier

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:33 PM

Get the setters from Dave Sheldon. I just got them for the k9 jrs. No regrets what so ever.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:37 PM

Good story. You must go to a private school, your spelling and punctuation are impeccable.
Posted By: J4ke9816

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/04/18 11:54 PM

When i was back in high school i was checking traps before class and i got my hand stuck in a 220. I had to have one of my buddies get it off me in the school parking lot before class. So the lesson is always be aware of where your hands are lol!
Posted By: Mountainmanjosh

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/05/18 12:02 AM

I'll definitely start paying more attention.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Rough Day On The Line - 01/05/18 12:06 AM

Glad Bridger are not hard to set
© 2024 Trapperman Forums