Home

dog food, what kind do you use?

Posted By: board stretcher

dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:00 PM

so i went and got me and my family a chocolate lab pup was just wondering what kind of food you feed your dogs?

Noah...
Posted By: Scout1

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:03 PM

Green or yellow bag from tractor supply. 55lb for around $20. Dogs seem to like it.
Posted By: Jim Frazier

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:05 PM

Retriever from tractor supply.
21% protein 10% fat they have a retriever also with higher protein/fat content.
Posted By: run

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:06 PM

We like the soy free version from a local feed store.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:09 PM

Diamond brand High Energy for my Brittany
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:11 PM

Ole' Roy High Pro when there's no Beaver
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:20 PM

Been feeding the diamond high energy also , about $23 for fifty pounds.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:25 PM

Started out feeding my high-priced lab Holistic Select on the recommendation of my breeder. It was hard to find locally and very expensive. I looked around and compared ingredients and realized that the Pure Balance line sold by Walmart had nearly identical ingredients and percentages as the expensive stuff at a third of the price. He gets that now.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:26 PM

Fromm's Original Recipe. This Lab has been on it since before we got him. He's the healthiest Lab with the nicest coat we've ever had.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Timber Hole

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:27 PM

I feed Purina Pro Plan 30/20 to my Chocolste Lab. We do train a fair amount.
Posted By: adam m

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:27 PM

Usually Taste of the wild (yellow bag) 28% protein.
Trying True Source 27% protein 15% fat. I don't think I'll keep her on it she seems slower with it.
Posted By: jeepsyco

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:31 PM

I use Blue Buffalo Wilderness in Chicken flavor. Grain/filler free and he scarfs it down.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: adam m
Trying True Source 27% protein 15% fat. I don't think I'll keep her on it she seems slower with it.
i did look at this and almost got it tell i looked at the price it dont mind spending a little money but 48.00 seemed a bit much i just switched my puppy food today from purina puppy chow to pure balance not sure if like it yet but it has no fillers.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:48 PM

thank you guys for the replies!!!

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Moosetrot
Fromm's Original Recipe. This Lab has been on it since before we got him. He's the healthiest Lab with the nicest coat we've ever had.

Moosetrot
i have not seen this? where do you buy yours at?

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Lugnut
Started out feeding my high-priced lab Holistic Select on the recommendation of my breeder. It was hard to find locally and very expensive. I looked around and compared ingredients and realized that the Pure Balance line sold by Walmart had nearly identical ingredients and percentages as the expensive stuff at a third of the price. He gets that now.
this is what i just switched my pup to today from what i have read and heard it is pretty good stuff!
Posted By: adam m

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: board stretcher
Originally Posted By: adam m
i did look at this and almost got it tell i looked at the price it dont mind spending a little money but 48.00 seemed a bit much i just switched my puppy food today from purina puppy chow to pure balance not sure if like it yet but it has no fillers.

Yup the price stinks. usually tsc has it on sale as does a local dog store. We've tried other brands but either she didn't like them or made her lazy with all the fillers and junk.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:57 PM

One thing I really believe in is use a puppy food. Which ever brand the puppy formulas have nutrients to help the organs and immune systems develop .
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 10:59 PM

Blue Buffalo - either Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice. Alternate so she thinks it is something new and exciting. Healthy food with very minimal yard mines to clean up.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/01/18 11:01 PM

Diamond naturals . They like it, and they dont seem to poop as much. There are so many dog foods out there, it will make your head spin. just find one they will eat, and don't change foods a lot. Dogs stomachs can be problematic with constant food changes.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:27 AM

Have had dog since was little kid. We just fed them cheap food.
No more!!
You save zero $ doing so as they eat twice as much and cheap food will have em crapping more often.

Spend a bit more and have healthier dogs that crap less.

I use iams brand.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:34 AM

Fromm only
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:35 AM

I had a Wirehair pup once I went a long ways into N.Dakota to buy. I fed it the Lamb and rice Purina Black label when it got older and it lost a lot of weight. I don't believe in "lean meat & vegies" dog foods anymore.
Posted By: Craig C

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:36 AM

Victor - Feed it to my beagles and Mountain Curs with good results.
Posted By: DezertTrapper

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:37 AM

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free, Large Breed, either chicken or salmon.
Posted By: wamp

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:42 AM

Taste Of The Wild, they have a puppy blend. I have had my Cur on it since she was three months old, Have changed her to the adult blend they have several different blends so. I will feed one blend for two or three bags then change to another, I get tired of eating chicken everyday and want something for as a change.
There is a dog food website that show how all the dog foods compare to each other and what is best.

web site is" Dog Food reviews by brands "

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:52 AM

Moosetrot
i have not seen this? where do you buy yours at?

I think it is made here in Wisconsin. We buy it at a local "Pet Me Scratch Me" store for about $44 for 40 lbs. If I am not mistaken Fromms is available nationally but you may need to check their website. It's 25% protein, 16% fat, and 10% moisture which is a good formula in my opinion. As far as I know it has not been the subject of recalls like a lot of the high-end big name brands have.

Like I said he's been on it from before we got him at 10 mos. and sure seems to do very well with it. Not sure if it will be the same for a little pup but he's over 2 years now and has a coat you would not believe and has never had an ear infection or anything which is a good indication of a healthy dog.

Good luck!

Moosetrot
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:54 AM

so i went and got me and my family a chocolate lab pup was just wondering what kind of food you feed your dogs?

Noah...

We have 2 Chocolates ....they get nothing but Science Diet food period. At one time I did cheap out and started feeding them the cheaper Purina dog food to save some bucks. After a month of purina food...their coats went in the dumpster..it was awful ! So Back on the Science Diet...and their coats shimmer like a velvet Elvis Painting.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:06 AM

good looking dog right there NESSMUCK!
and thanks again for the replies guys it really does help out!

the only reason i started this thread is now that i am a bit older "36" i am watching what i put in my body and i got to reading the back of my dogs food the other night and it is crazy what they put in that stuff!
Posted By: cotton

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:22 AM

blue bag sportmix
26 bucks a bag my crazy cur loves it
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:29 AM

good looking dog right there NESSMUCK!
and thanks again for the replies guys it really does help out!

the only reason i started this thread is now that i am a bit older "36" i am watching what i put in my body and i got to reading the back of my dogs food the other night and it is crazy what they put in that stuff!

Just bought a bag today...41.95...It ain't cheap....but it works for the Labs.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:32 AM

Blue Buffalo grain free

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:37 AM

Here's my boy, Trapper, hard at work on the Mississippi.

Moosetrot
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:42 AM

I feed Alpo dry dog good or Diamond brand if I can find it at a good price. When it cold outside I also give my dog a can or two of Alpo canned food. And he gets scraps from deer or whatever I put in the freezer when I cut up my deer... elk ... antelope. The good meat is for me... he gets the scrapes and fat.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:54 AM

I used to feed my dogs Alpo.
My opinion but it's nothing JUNK!
Posted By: Pilgrim22

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:27 AM

Merrick but if i had to choose another it would be Science Diet
Posted By: wwc

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:30 AM

Pork chicken or beef add veggies and rice no commercial dog food

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:31 AM

board stretcher-I took a look at the Fromm website and their products are available in several cities in Idaho.

Moosetrot
Posted By: armktm

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:39 AM

look at the ingredients the first one should be meat not corn that is what our vet tells us. with that we feed Joy dog food.
Posted By: DTOM

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:41 AM

We fed Fromms for years and were happy but they switched distributors a year ago and we switched to Victor Professional. Very similar and we are very happy. In my opinion it pays to feed good food no matter what the brand name. Our dogs recover after hard hunts much better and heal much faster.

https://victorpetfood.com/product-items/professional/
Posted By: randy r

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:46 AM

I have a cur and her stool is always runny.I feed purina do you think I need to change food?

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:52 AM

Purina is JUNK!

Good food produces firm poops.
Cheap food produces loose poops and more of it!

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:04 AM

board stretcher-I took a look at the Fromm website and their products are available in several cities in Idaho.

Moosetrot
thank you i will look it up!
Posted By: John C

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbears
Purina is JUNK!

That depends on the dog. My male GSP Skipper craps out the hardest chunks of stool you could imagine eating Purina. If he has anything other than Purina he could fill up Texas Pete bottles and not touch the rim. My female GSP Purdy Girl craps out what looks like Sof T Serve ice cream no matter what i feed her. Vet tells me both dogs are pooping just fine. Nothing to worry about.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:22 AM

My great dane pup is also a soft serve kinda girl. Best to let them freeze, before cleanup starts. Lol.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:48 AM

Blue Buffalo spendy but both the dog and skunk do well on it~
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 09:20 AM

At about 3 years old, I realize my retriever needed a diet change. There were many symptoms, which after research ended up all correlating to diet. Obsessively licking/chewing his feet, constant ear infections, chronic horrible gas and lack of energy were the most apparent. All of my research pointed to one primary culprit: GRAIN. Whether it’s corn, wheat, barley or others, dogs are not really made to digest grains, or soy either. So I started hunting for the most affordable grain-free (or at least minimal) food I could find. And the winner is Kirkland “Nature’s Domain”. I’m surprised no one else has mentioned it yet. It comes in 3 or 4 different kinds, between $30-$40 a bag. Not the cheapest, but it’s made a world of difference for the dog. And much cheaper than some of the name brands. If you have a Costco or other Kirkland outlet nearby, check it out.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 11:24 AM

Eukanuba with ground venison.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:01 PM

4 health from tractor supply
Posted By: bass10

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:20 PM

My trainer always has about 12-15 labs at any given time. Purino Pro Plan. Trust me the coat on my 2 year old lab and her stool (yes I'm weird
about checking) are always excellent. Not sure what the backing anyone has that says its junk? Also, no junk, ever! Treats here and there but no table scraps,
IMO that's what makes them unhealthy and fat.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:43 PM

dog power they are a local feed that Mounds pet food based out of Madison Wis has made up

had a few vets when they ask what we fed and said dog power they always said yeah that is good stuff keep feeding it.

https://moundspet.com/mounds-brands/dog-power-all-life-stages/ here is the breakdown of what is in it so you can compare to others.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
Fromm only

X-2! They deliver it right to the house.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:15 PM

Purina is JUNK!

X2
Any cheap dog food is going to go in one end and out the other.....when I had my pair of chocolate labs(RIP)I ran them hard waterfowl hunting and training, junk cheap dog food, I tried it once, they ate more and had more crap then I wanted, went back to a better dog food they ate less and I wasn't cleaning up after them as much....just my experience....
Posted By: jtg

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:26 PM

Dry dog food is terrible for dogs. Raw meat is the way to go for long life and good health. Deer processers, meat scrap are good places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqD5TWFLsAk
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 01:56 PM

Sams Club just switched foods and have a grain free one now.

The important thing to get is one with the first few ingredients listed as meats, not corn. You will see the cheap feed ones start with cheaper non meat ingredients.

The ingredients are listed in order of whats mostly in there to the least. So when the first ingredient is corn its made up of mostly corn, which wouldn't normally be in a dogs diet as a high percentage food.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:04 PM

Chewy.com. They have good deals and if you can't find a particular brand chances are they have it.

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TDHP
Chewy.com. They have good deals and if you can't find a particular brand chances are they have it.

Chewy must keep the warehouse on wheels. We order from them quite often. We usually get our order within 24 hrs. A half hr after ordering, an e-mail says shipped. I still buy from local stores too, due to the fact that all of these internet sites are hurting local businesses. It does not take many people to run a shipping warehouse, thus, lower prices. Our local stores like Rural King are more expensive for sure, but I like to hold things in my hand before buying!
Posted By: wabi

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:07 PM

I feed our mutt raw hamburger (or ground venison) with crushed boiled eggs (shell & all), Din-O-Vite, and Likochops added. Visit the Din-O-Vite site at Din-O-Vite for more information.
He has skin problems (red & itchy), ear problems (crusty & itchy), chews at his paws, and just plain stinks! The new diet (low carb - only been feeding him this for a few weeks now) seems to be slowly improving these problems (yeast?).
He loves the food, and seems to be slowly improving. Stool is now usually hard (he used to get the "runs"), and the food seems to be good for him. A bit expensive, but if it cures the problems it's cheaper than the Vet bills.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:13 PM

When I was having trouble finding the Holistic Select locally I was getting it from either Chewy.com or Amazon. Both sold 24 lb. bags for $59.99 and shipped free.
Posted By: Bosco

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:37 PM

Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy formula for now,as recomended by the breeder,with warm water and tablespoon of canned pumpkin , the water slows down the fast eating,and the pumpkin is a binder/fiber for firmer stool. I do plan to go to meat and eggs when he's older.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:50 PM

I have paid too much for my dogs to feed them cheap food.The last breeder asked what happened to your last. Cancer all 4 of them. Next question was what were you feeding them, Science Diet MD. its sold only by Vets. He said you don't know how many people looking for new dogs that have lost dogs that have been on Science Diet that die from cancer. He went on to say that there is no control like FDA for dog food so go on line and research dog food. I started them on Blue Buffalo but it had some recalls so the research began again and settled on Akana, Cobb Chicken and Green Bean now I spend the vet money on good quality dog food.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/02/18 03:53 PM

I feed my 7 month old Blue heeler/border collie mix Purina Puppy Chow
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 01:17 AM

Purina hi protein

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 01:58 AM

Friends don't let friends feed thier dogs Purina wink I
Posted By: ScottW

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 02:36 AM

I've had good luck with Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete for my GWP. Our old Goldens do good on Nutro Essentials Senior. Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: tak6165

Kent hi-protein order online from do-it-best and ship to store for about $30 a 40lbs bag.
Posted By: charles

Taste of the Wild, salmon flavor is her favorite but the wife mixes it up.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 02:34 PM

taste of the wild venison and bison - the yellow bag, here too

its a little pricey, but it lasts several weeks a bag, the dog likes it and is healthy
Posted By: Goshachgunk

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 03:25 PM

Sportmix wholesomes chicken meal and rice $32 for 40 lbs. at tsc
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 04:07 PM

purina proplan lamb
Posted By: rawcalls

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 04:56 PM

I feed Authority Grain-Free Chicken & Pea formula from Petsmart and my lab loves it. I get 60 lbs. (2 - 30lb. bags) shipped directly to my house for a little over $70 and shipping is free.
Posted By: jtg

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 06:40 PM

My family has had the same line of dogs for 70 years. About ten years ago, I was loosing a few dogs a year to cancer. My friend who has the same line in another state had the same problem. We both fed dry dog food.
Once I went to raw meat, have not lost another and the dogs look, perform better and have much less waste. Also the teeth could be on a toothpaste commercial.
When I am at the store and see a cheap bag of chicken, I buy them up and feed it to them raw, it's less than dog food.
Some good information on this site. http://www.texastripe.com/default.asp

Originally Posted By: Oh Snap
I have paid too much for my dogs to feed them cheap food.The last breeder asked what happened to your last. Cancer all 4 of them. Next question was what were you feeding them, Science Diet MD. its sold only by Vets. He said you don't know how many people looking for new dogs that have lost dogs that have been on Science Diet that die from cancer. He went on to say that there is no control like FDA for dog food so go on line and research dog food. I started them on Blue Buffalo but it had some recalls so the research began again and settled on Akana, Cobb Chicken and Green Bean now I spend the vet money on good quality dog food.
Posted By: lebowski

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 06:42 PM

Nutri source

https://www.amazon.com/Tuffys-Pet-Food-NutriSource-33-Pound/dp/B007L5DMXY
Posted By: Kre

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 06:58 PM

Friends don't let friends feed thier dogs Purina wink I

I used to think this as well.

But, the breeder I got my last pup from was feeding them Purina Pro Plan. That's been a really good food. I'm starting to cut her over to Iams because that's what I feed my other dogs.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 08:12 PM

Puppy's need a good brand of PUPPY Chow for their first year.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/03/18 08:23 PM

DUKE OR MB?

Does this sound familiar?

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/07/18 12:13 AM

UPDATE, so my pup has been on his new food "pure balance" for six days now he was not sure at first but now he loves it he has more energy and he does not poop as much, his hair is still the same but i think after a bit longer it should improve and be more shiny i hope.
Posted By: run

Re: dog food, what kind do you use? - 01/13/18 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Abu65
Blue Buffalo grain free
You're the man. I love grain-free dog food.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums