Home

Do it yourself bowpress

Posted By: swift4me

Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 10:09 AM

Hi all

A while back I posted asking about changing my cable and string without making a 4 hour round trip to the nearest archery shop. I found a guy closer and he did a great job, but once I got home and started cleaning and lubricating stuff I noticed one of the plastic pieces that keeps one of the string/cable loops at one axle was starting to split. I ordered the parts from a nice guy at Double Lung Archery in Iowa. He stuffed them in an envelope and charged me a fair price. Good guy.

I didn't want to make the trip to the shop again just to put in these two little plastic keepers, and when I was in Washington last month I had the great pleasure of seeing a guy at Sportsman's Warehouse grab the last Bow Medic portable press off the peg and nobody else had them in stock. Anyway, I went to youtube and found a great solution that worked fine.

I used a ratchet tied down strap and ran the hooks through the limb ends and put a 5/8" hardwood dowel across the limb and through the hook so there was no metal contact with the limbs.

In a pinch it worked great. Always a pleasure to go to a good shop for a string change and have them install the peep and do some paper tuning while there, but I just thought I'd pass this along. It seems safe and simple enough for me.

Thanks,

Pete
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 10:30 AM

That is a great idea
Wish I had thought of that before I made mine. I used a gear puller for the screw part,
1/8 cable, turned 3 pulleys out of brass used 3/8 coldroll drilled and tapped for machine thread eye screws in fuel line for padding for the ends. Works good but I can't tie a load down
with it ha! Good job on the ratchet tie down that is using your head!
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 12:08 PM

Be very careful. Many modern compound bows need specific types of presses to prevent permanent damage to the riser. It used to be so easy to build a press for home. These days you have to be careful.
Posted By: dog

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 12:30 PM

Here's mine made from nestable tubing from McMaster Carr.
5/8 all thread rod I bought the fingers off a guy off eBay.
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 01:32 PM

Yep, alot of the newer ones are beyond parralel and they can pop right out, and that isn't covered under warrenty
Hoyts new line of upper class bows they made the dealers but the special arms for the press shown before they'd even ship a bow.

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 04:36 PM

I can imagine the new bows not working with what I did, but mine is an old Matthews MQ-1 from the 90's. The limbs are far from parallel.

I might be wrong, but if I remember how the bow sat in the guy's bowpress, the end of the press actually pushed against the two plastic pieces I'm talking about, (one of which was splitting).

And for those curious about how hunting works here in France, two days ago I made a drive to an area that has 42 hunters with 17,000 acres of private ground and over 400 tags for these small deer. My interest is archery as the ground at my farm isn't so well suited to archery and we have a lot fewer deer than this area. It cost me $16 to join their association and I can get as many tags as I want at $80 a piece. At the farm they give me my tags for free because I trap foxes, but if I get in a few nice hunts with my bow I'll be happy. I can hunt there 9 months out of the year with bow or rifle.

And Dog... you did a great job on that press. I love McMaster Carr too.

Pete
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 04:50 PM

Good Job !!

I use a modified shotgun barrel bender/straightener.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/ is where we got stuff when my daughter shot a lot.

Also, www.bowhunterswarehouse.com I think?
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/02/16 07:56 PM

Shoot traditional and you will never again need a bow press!!

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/03/16 05:46 AM

I was waiting for that one Newhouse. Maybe one day.

Pete
Posted By: snare1

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/03/16 10:49 AM

Go longbow ,you can use yourself as a bowpress grin
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/03/16 12:19 PM

try this link or just search "bar clamp bow press". I made one, work awesomes for minor repairs.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/fo...mp;d=1354161087
Posted By: 60X

Re: Do it yourself bowpress - 06/12/18 12:37 PM

I would just be very careful. If could damage you or the bow. If you've ever seen a bow let go it's not a pretty thing. I'm fortunate to have a last chance ez press that I use for work like changing my bow string and cables It works really good but is on the expensive side.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums