Home

Deer and Chinese Chestnuts

Posted By: BryanOney

Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 04:07 PM

Some companies that sell apple trees and oaks to be planted to attract deer are now selling chinese chestnut trees also and claiming the deer like the chestnuts as well as apples. Does anyone have any experience with this. Do the deer seem to like the chestnuts. Do you think chestnut trees would worthwhile to plant as deer attractant in the future. Thanks
Posted By: mikehunterman

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 04:11 PM

I have several around that granddad planed 50 years ago and have never seen a deer around any of them. The squirrels eat them when they fall off. They are pretty good to eat but seem to get worms in them in only a few hours after they hit the ground here.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 04:13 PM

Deer love them and they are a very reliable producer-a good crop nearly every year.

I would not plant them close to the house. The husks in the yard make going bare foot or even wearing flip-flop painful. And the bloosoms stink when the tree is in bloom.
Posted By: ZAC

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 04:19 PM

I got several small CC here, mine are like a large shrub as opposed to an actual tree. I got them for wildlife benefit....this is the first year they produced. I replanted all the nuts to produce more. My intention is to seed bomb some of my hunting areas.
Posted By: phutch30

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 04:38 PM

cant speak for chinese chesnuts but the american chesnut used to be the most common mass crop tree in the US. I'd have to bet deer ate them.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: gryhkl
Deer love them and they are a very reliable producer-a good crop nearly every year.

I would not plant them close to the house. The husks in the yard make going bare foot or even wearing flip-flop painful. And the bloosoms stink when the tree is in bloom.

There was a house by the elementary school I went to that had one of those trees in the yard.

Once they got hard and real pokey, we'd have a blast throwing them at each other.
Posted By: Rhino7

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 06:17 PM

Deer eat chestnuts like crazy. Grandparents would have 17 deer in the yard at once all crowded under two trees
Posted By: Charles Gooden

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino7
Deer eat chestnuts like crazy. Grandparents would have 17 deer in the yard at once all crowded under two trees

I can NOT keep them away from our 2 trees to save my life
Posted By: ducksnbucks36

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 07:01 PM

Chestnuts are supposedly the best nut bearing tree for deer. It's said deer will walk past acorns and etc to get to chestnuts. I've seen deer eating chestnuts, and plan on getting some and planting them myself this spring. Along with some other fruit bearing trees
Posted By: Old Relic

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 07:53 PM

The ground under our chestnuts looks like it's been plowed, from all the deer activity. They love them.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 07:55 PM

Remember, the blossoms stink. Or, maybe I'm the only one that hates their smell.
It would be one of the first trees I'd plant for deer feed if away from the house. We have two in our yard at our camp that are about 25 feet tall and everything loves the nuts.
Posted By: mmtrapper

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 08:59 PM

If I were wanting to attract
deer I would plant apple , and pear trees and also white oaks !!!
Posted By: TrapperTrets

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 09:16 PM

If your gonna plant Chestnut trees you should check out Chestnut Hill Outdoors. Heres the link, hope this helps.

http://www.chestnuthilloutdoors.com/store/pg/9-The-Best-Food-Plot-Tree.aspx
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 09:26 PM

there is 2 at work, the deer visit every night
RR
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 09:55 PM

American chestnuts are sweeter than Chinese. I only about the American ones and they attract deer.
Posted By: KCS2trapper

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/07/15 11:15 PM

I have 3 chestnut trees and many more apple trees in my yard. The deer go to the chestnut trees first.
Posted By: keets

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 12:09 AM

ok changing topic...do deer eat buckeyes? had a tree in my yard that I'd never seen before, thing started dropping buckeyes last week...they are related to chestnut arent they?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 12:29 AM

Around here the American chestnut was the main mast source at the turn of the century. Then the blight wiped them out. There are still a lot of American chestnuts still alive (root systems) they will sprout up and the blight will knock them out. Every now and then we will find a good nut or two. They are not near as big as a Chinese nut. It is a very strong wood and you would've believe how light it is when dried. I try to find the dead sapling and make walking sticks.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 03:26 AM

I had a friend of mine once mention that chestnut bloom smells just like semen. Have never been able to get that out of my head every late spring when our chestnuts are in bloom. AND NOW NEITHER WILL YOU! HAR HAR!!!!!!
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: keets
ok changing topic...do deer eat buckeyes? had a tree in my yard that I'd never seen before, thing started dropping buckeyes last week...they are related to chestnut arent they?

No. I'm not sure anything eats them to be honest.

I think a lot of folks here may be confusing American chestnuts with Chinese chestnuts. While deer will eat chinese chestnuts, they aren't all that attractive, at least when compared to apples, pears, acorns, etc.... Squirrels and chipmunks love them.
Posted By: Old Relic

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Creek Rat
American chestnuts are sweeter than Chinese. I only about the American ones and they attract deer.

The American Chestnut is VERY susceptible to the blight. The American Chestnut Foundation is working on some trees that are blight resistant, but they won't be available to the public for some time to come.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 01:45 PM

TrapperTrets: Thanks for that link.

I have a spot in my field that would do well for a dozen chestnuts. And lots of deer moving through.

Thanks again.
Posted By: lcd

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Relic
Originally Posted By: Creek Rat

The American Chestnut is VERY susceptible to the blight. The American Chestnut Foundation is working on some trees that are blight resistant, but they won't be available to the public for some time to come.

The blight will kill just about any American Chestnut before it reaches full maturity. Different breeders have been crossing the American with the Chinese for the last 50 years or so to try to get a mostly American Chestnut that can withstand the blight. Some successful ones are about 95% American with the blight resistance of the Chinese all that is left of it. You can find lots of information on some of the Chestnut websites.

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 02:00 PM

What is the difference in exterior shell looks?

They both look like they have a spiny shell.
Posted By: BryanOney

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 04:16 PM

A lady down the street from me says that about the smell of the blossoms each summer when they bloom. She calls them sperm trees even. I always think she opens herself up for a lot of comments when she says that, but I never say anything.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: seniortrap
What is the difference in exterior shell looks?

They both look like they have a spiny shell.

When investigating a tree I found few years ago .
I believe its determined in the leafs, configuration.
I started my search on the American Chestnut Foundation website.

Think you have an American Chestnut?

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 05:56 PM

Buckeyes are poison and will kill cows if they eat a bunch. They lay on the ground all winter and the squirrels will not touch them or anything else that I can tell. I cut them down all the time but still have a lot.

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/08/15 10:22 PM

Thanks for the link Dillrod.
Posted By: lcd

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/09/15 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: mikehunterman
Buckeyes are poison and will kill cows if they eat a bunch. They lay on the ground all winter and the squirrels will not touch them or anything else that I can tell. I cut them down all the time but still have a lot.

Do you cut any that are big enough for lumber? They make real good boards for coon, fox, otter and such if they are wide enough to use. Take push pins real easy. I am willing to travel to to pick them up if so.

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/09/15 03:42 PM

If you want to fool with it there are two by the gate that are easy to get to. The biggest would be a 16 to 18 inch butt.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/09/15 10:53 PM

I have never seen anything eat them. The chestnuts are dropping right now so you should be able to see for your self if deer are eating any.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/10/15 12:14 AM

Not to Highjack This thread,
But the discussion of Buckeyes came up sometime back.
A member on here was introducing the fact that they made flour often from this.
Would enjoy a PM from him.

Now back to topic.

I know of one tree .
It was evident that there were few burs with actual nuts inside laying around..
I believe the deer were sorting them.
Others see this ?

Posted By: Scout1

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 10/10/15 12:29 AM

I have heard 1/2 of a buckeye is poisonous and 1/2 is good, only a squirrel knows. May just be an old tale.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 02/06/18 09:38 PM

I noticed that most people commenting here are in the traditional Chestnut range which is zone 5. I ordered some from Musser Forest a long time ago, and all died but one. That one grew about an inch a year for a few years, and then just died. I was zone 4 and that is what the Chinese chestnut is planted for, as most of the hybrids at 50 dollars a tree are expensive.
I have some black walnuts that grow like weeds in reseeding that my Grandfather had, but they are not deer food, just squirrels. I make that point in I can grow nut trees here, tried Hazelnuts which did grow but the catkins freeze off as they blossom too early for zone 4. I have the same problem with peaches in I can get them to grow like crazy for a few years, and then we get a winter where the soil is dry and it freeze six feet down and that is it for the peach trees.
In all honesty the deer here will not eat acorns, but they are Burr Oak. I have a bag of these huge acorns I collected while in Kansas that I still intend to plant, as wildlife eats them there. The long of this is, if you are in an area which American Chestnuts will grow, then plant them as wildlife loves them. If not, the alternatives are Chinamen or filling in with some apple trees. For that, most rootstock Nurseries have a rootstock out of Russia, which is hardy to 50 below. They produce a big pie apple and deer will eat them, even if the deer prefer the sweeter long season apples like Haralson.
I do envy all of you who are able to grow real chestnuts and all of those other mystery trees. I have wasted a great deal of money in trying to get plants to grow where God never intended.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Deer and Chinese Chestnuts - 02/06/18 09:58 PM

Mine did not produce too heavy last time. If I didn't pick em up every day, the deer did. I froze them, used some for baking, and the rest will get planted. I have a half of a drum full of American Black Walnuts to plant TOO. if NOONE PLANTED COOL TREES, THERE'D BE LESS OF THEM.

If someone going to Burnt Ridge fur sale wants a few you can have some. I'm not mailing them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums