Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Soil conditions ?? #2615889
06/18/11 12:30 AM
06/18/11 12:30 AM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline OP
trapper
Dillrod  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Mich.
OK root digging in my country for the most part is banned on the big hitters anyways.
There has been a lot of questions for growing.
One I would like to see discussed by the growers is the proper soil conditions for root plants .
I know it is probably diverse in requierments.
Sooooooo.
I will start it with mid growth hardwoods. Red Oak, Cherry type edge cover. Lots of ravines down to the river.
Also about 10-12 acres of river bottom attached . smaller river about 15-20 ft across. So lots of crooks and flats.
Anything work down there?? flood plain areas.
Probably way to wide open a question so just pick one thing and it will help alot.

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: Soil conditions ?? [Re: Dillrod] #2616179
06/18/11 01:07 PM
06/18/11 01:07 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
In my area most of the higher priced medicinal plants won't grow in river bottoms. Now I know your rivers up north are not quite like the rivers I am used to being in. The Ohio and Wabash river bottoms are very big areas and for the most part have water standing on them for fairly long periods of time each season. These places that water stands most usually won't produce Seng, Seal, bloodroot and a variety of other herbs. These typ plants require their feet stay dry for fairly long periods of time or are at least on well drained loamy typ soil. Our soil runs from a heavy typ clay soil to a very light almost sandy loamy soil in the hill country around the river bottoms.
As a rule of thumb, if an area retains water or ponds water to a degree after each rain, then it is not a great place to dig herbs.
As far as trees are concerned in this area. good trees would be Tulip Poplar,Ash,sassaphrass,Cherry,certain typs of Maple,Beech,and several other highland trees. Some Oak and Hickory work ok, but you don't want nothing but Oak and Hickory. A tree that most plants will not tolerate is locust. I personally don't mind a few Walnut trees mixed into the setting and some great big old persimmon trees .

Re: Soil conditions ?? [Re: Dillrod] #2616531
06/18/11 09:06 PM
06/18/11 09:06 PM
S/W Mich.
Dillrod Offline OP
trapper
Dillrod  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Mich.
OK thanks for the input.
And to clarify my previous statements .
I do not know the laws for digging wild roots in Mich. I just know they passed the endangered species act of 1994, which really curtails this.
So please read and understand the laws before attempting .
Here is a link to start your search for answers in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12142-33036--,00.html

"Some Domestication Required "

Re: Soil conditions ?? [Re: Dillrod] #2616781
06/19/11 01:21 AM
06/19/11 01:21 AM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline
trapper

Missouri
seng likes to grow where rappelling equipment would come in handy