Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Root & Bark prices? #2608011
06/10/11 09:38 AM
06/10/11 09:38 AM
Indiana
Chucker Offline OP
trapper
Chucker  Offline OP
trapper

Indiana
I love this new forum and would like to thank Paul for setting this up and Don for moderating it.I would like to see up to date prices paid for all roots and barks as well as leaves updated as the market changes.Also like any info on the trends in wildcrafting id it dieing out or are more people doing it in this economy?
Ron Caubel told me theres maybe a dozen people in the whole US who really do this big time?
I do know that you can sell alot of stuff that people would not thing you can such as orange peels,blackberry root,polk root,paw paw branches and many more,Chuck

Visit my nostalgia blog at decemberstuff.com
Re: Root & Bark prices? [Re: Chucker] #2608044
06/10/11 10:15 AM
06/10/11 10:15 AM
Ohio
ohbuyer II Offline
trapper
ohbuyer II  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Chucker, I'll let Don post what he is looking for as far as the roots,barks,and leaves. If I'm looking for anything else not on his list I'll post it later.

As far as wildcrafting theres no dought it has changed.Years ago it was dig, dig , dig ,and go to the next woods and do it again until every plant that could be found was harvested. Now its more like we are plant stewards.Never over harvest,replant the seeds, and replace what was disturbed( ground area)
You do this and you will be harvesting the same area in a few years.

Naked and Afraid -April/May Africa 2019.......yes I did do it
YouTube-Korbin Outdoors
Instagram-tim_phillips66
Re: Root & Bark prices? [Re: Chucker] #2608129
06/10/11 11:59 AM
06/10/11 11:59 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Fellas once I get a little time to post a few prices and roots I will. At this time I have my hands full just answering questions through pm. There is a lot of different roots that can be harvested and a lot og different herbs that can be harvested. For the most part, unless you have a real easy method of harvesting a lot of items, they just can't be done economically, especially with gas prices the way they are today.
Chucker as far as my clientel increasing or decreasing is concerned, a lot depends on the weather and prices paid on the product. Ginseng is my main attraction with goldenseal comming in second. I bought a lot of sassaphrass leaves last year and actually outdone the amt. of goldenseal dug. Most of the other roots are not dug in a big manner in my area.
I speak of harvesting roots and herbs as being economical. A person may go to the woods and harvest a little amt of product just for the fun of it, but, to go to the woods and actually make money digging roots is a lot of hear work. Lets face it fellas, most people that want to harvest roots etc are looking for another way to make some spending money.

Re: Root & Bark prices? [Re: don Wolf] #2608552
06/10/11 08:43 PM
06/10/11 08:43 PM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
don is exactly right.......your not gonna get rich "rootin" ...but sometimes you can make a lil extra spendin money.

a guy can actually make more money harvesting the lesser priced roots than the higher priced roots because you make up for it in volume.

and sometimes it's hard, hot dirty work..............i had an order one time for 800 lbs of fresh sweetflag root............sweetflag grows in very wet conditions.......i was digging this stuff out mud.........wanna guess how many leeches i found on me...lol.

and as oh said about diggin............don't wipe out the plant........dig a lil and keep some for next time...your screwing yourself and future root hunters if you don't. thats why ginseng is scarce.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread