Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Double wammy! #2754107
09/29/11 04:46 PM
09/29/11 04:46 PM
Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
D
Dave Plueger Offline OP
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline OP
trapper
D

First came a couple days of off and on rain. Knocked the leaves off the plants that were further along. Today came a wind warning with 50 mph gusts. Went out this morning for a while and literally watched some 'seng leaves get blown off the stalk right in front of me. Found a real nice patch of about 20 big mature plants on the way out. Was in the process of digging them when a giant, dead, Red Elm came crashing to the ground not 50 feet away. Actually shook the ground. Needless to say there are still several plants there yet. Thought I'd have to stop and clean out my drawers. LOL The man upstairs said it was time to get out of the timber, and by golly out I got!! Be interesting tomorrow to see how well the gold plants held up. I'm sure they will be fine in the more protected hollows, but I'm afraid it may be over on the ridges accept for some green stragglers. Oh well, can't have bright, sunny, calm days every fall. Got spoiled last year I guess.

Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2754120
09/29/11 04:56 PM
09/29/11 04:56 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Dave we had a couple days with real windy days a couple years ago.Winds was 50 miles an hour +-. What happened to us was there was so many green leaves and small limbs that fell, it actually made our hunting for the year, over. The woods was litterally covered with green leaves. I have never saw that but that one time.
We had about 7 inches of rain here last week and it has knocked about 70 percent of our plants down. We was getting into the yellow and dead brown leaves with dry stalks. Well you know what that much rain can do to your crop. My dig has dropped down to ounces and not pounds now. just about not worth going anymore. Went out yesterday and the day before and found about 12 ounces for the two days.

Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2754284
09/29/11 06:27 PM
09/29/11 06:27 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
Originally Posted By: Dave Plueger
First came a couple days of off and on rain. Knocked the leaves off the plants that were further along. Today came a wind warning with 50 mph gusts. Went out this morning for a while and literally watched some 'seng leaves get blown off the stalk right in front of me. Found a real nice patch of about 20 big mature plants on the way out. Was in the process of digging them when a giant, dead, Red Elm came crashing to the ground not 50 feet away. Actually shook the ground. Needless to say there are still several plants there yet. Thought I'd have to stop and clean out my drawers. LOL The man upstairs said it was time to get out of the timber, and by golly out I got!! Be interesting tomorrow to see how well the gold plants held up. I'm sure they will be fine in the more protected hollows, but I'm afraid it may be over on the ridges accept for some green stragglers. Oh well, can't have bright, sunny, calm days every fall. Got spoiled last year I guess.
I didn't work today so I had hoped to go out .Was in the woods about fif-teen minutes and the wind was howling.I'm usually pretty stubborn about staying in the woods.But it was so bad I just went home.I might be done for the year.

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2754351
09/29/11 06:58 PM
09/29/11 06:58 PM
D
Dave Plueger Offline OP
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline OP
trapper
D

That wind was pretty scary wasn't it blackhammer. I'm with you Don on the tree leaves. Just the leaves that blew off the trees around the farm here has put a layer down. I'll find out tomorrow how much damage has been done. I sure hope it ain't over. I can typically have productive hunts well into Oct. on a normal year.

Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2755459
09/30/11 12:03 PM
09/30/11 12:03 PM
Iowa
R
REMI609 Offline
trapper
REMI609  Offline
trapper
R

Iowa
Dave Hellof a day today in the the corn state!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kevin Brandel
Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2757520
10/01/11 07:40 PM
10/01/11 07:40 PM
D
Dave Plueger Offline OP
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline OP
trapper
D

Sunny, calm, and cool here today Keven. Great day to be out. Wind didn't seem to hurt things as bad as I had anticipated. Predicting near 80 for the next few days with full sunshine and CALM! Should get at least another week of decent 'senging.

Re: Double wammy! [Re: Dave Plueger] #2759495
10/03/11 08:52 AM
10/03/11 08:52 AM
Iowa
R
REMI609 Offline
trapper
REMI609  Offline
trapper
R

Iowa
Great weekend up here dave 4 green lbs of OLD root! I will be out all week!! YAHOO! can't wait!

Kevin Brandel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread