Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Anyone pick wild hazelnuts? #2687844
08/16/11 12:40 PM
08/16/11 12:40 PM

G
gil turner OP
Unregistered
gil turner OP
Unregistered
G

Thats the question. anyone?

Re: Anyone pick wild hazelnuts? [Re: ] #2687875
08/16/11 01:00 PM
08/16/11 01:00 PM

G
gil turner OP
Unregistered
gil turner OP
Unregistered
G

Never have picked any, How do you handel them after picking, roast or air dry?

Re: Anyone pick wild hazelnuts? [Re: ] #2687898
08/16/11 01:15 PM
08/16/11 01:15 PM
Powell TN
S
stan meyers Offline
trapper
stan meyers  Offline
trapper
S

Powell TN
I have hazelnuts are they more than one type?

Re: Anyone pick wild hazelnuts? [Re: ] #2689150
08/17/11 03:05 AM
08/17/11 03:05 AM
Washington State
Alpinist Offline
trapper
Alpinist  Offline
trapper

Washington State
There are two species of hazelnuts native to the U.S.

The America Hazelnut (Corylus americana) grows throughout the east and midwest, as far west as the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma, but not Texas or Florida.

The Beaked Hazelnut (Corylus cornuta) is more widespread, growing along the east coast, across the northern tier of states, and on the west coast.

If you buy a hazelnut shrub from a nursery it's likely to be the non-native Common Filbert (Corylus avellana). That's the commercial source of filberts or hazelnuts. It has been introduced and may be found growing wild in WA, OR, NY and other states. I'm sure there are many horticultural varieties.

You can just air dry hazelnuts. If you prefer the flavor of roasted hazelnuts, you can experiment with roasting them in your oven. I prefer them air dried. There are several commercial you-pick hazelnut farms in my area. They should be called you-pick-up, because all you do is walk around in the orchard with a bucket or basket picking up all the nuts you want (and then pay for them, of course). It's too easy. You can pick up several pounds in a few minutes.

The difficulty with finding wild hazelnuts is getting them before the squirrels and chipmunks do.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread