Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Prostate Cancer #3778110
04/25/13 04:47 PM
04/25/13 04:47 PM
Beasley, Tx
B
Bluegoose Offline OP
trapper
Bluegoose  Offline OP
trapper
B

Beasley, Tx
Just wanted to share some things with y'all.
Four years ago, my dad died a horrible death resulting from prostate cancer. '

'When he first was diagnosed, the urologiist and oncologist explained all the negatives about the current treatments then he received the same standard suggestion that is common today: "You will probably outlive your cancer" So, my dad took a wait and see approach. What the doctors failed to tell him that if prostate cancer would metastasize, it would be a painful demise.

Last year, I was diagnosed with the same horrible disease. I lost several friends and my dad to it and I wasn't about to listen to the same song and dance. I had learned enough about the disease to understand that the insurance companies and government have deliberately understated the severity of this cancer.

I was fortunate enough to have a very well trained urologist who is up on all the latest advances in detection and treatment. He found my cancer at a stage one. He and I discussed the treatments and I decided to go for external, high intensity radiation. Even though he told me that I probably could wait a few years to monitor the cancer before treatment, I didn't want to take any chances.

This decision probably saved my life. My followup exams have been super positive and it has amazed my Dr. as to how fast my body has responded. Also, I have had minimum after-effects. This is the smartest decision I have ever made.

I have had a lot of conversations with the oncologist and urologist concerning all the efforts to reduce testing for and treating this disease. Each of us are of the opinion that this effort is self-serving insurance and the government because the tests and treatments are expensive and is misleading the public with regard to the possible severity of the disease.

Perhaps some people do not need treatment but until they either die from other causes or die from the cancer, who knows?????

So, I beg each of y'all who are older than 50 to go EVERY year and get that darn exam and if you have cancer get it treated! The newer treatments, especially external radiation, have far less side-effects than those of even 5 years ago. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.
Re: Prostate Cancer [Re: Bluegoose] #3780332
04/27/13 04:18 AM
04/27/13 04:18 AM
South Central Idaho
K
KRS Offline
trapper
KRS  Offline
trapper
K

South Central Idaho
It is good to hear there have been advancements in treatment. I turn 40 this year and its on my radar.
I am glad you did what your dad couldnt and you are able to share it here. Thank you.

Re: Prostate Cancer [Re: Bluegoose] #3780517
04/27/13 10:08 AM
04/27/13 10:08 AM
Beasley, Tx
B
Bluegoose Offline OP
trapper
Bluegoose  Offline OP
trapper
B

Beasley, Tx
You are more than welcome. I am pleased to hear of your decision.

It pains me that there is so much false and/or deceptive information broadcast about this disease and anything that I can do to expose it, I will.

As I mentioned, my doctors and I firmly believe that the current trend of misguided info and distorted facts is driven by special interest groups whose adgenda is to increase profits/savings by reducing services. It is almost criminal!

Last edited by Bluegoose; 04/27/13 10:10 AM. Reason: Edit

Re: Prostate Cancer [Re: Bluegoose] #3780926
04/27/13 06:15 PM
04/27/13 06:15 PM
Nova Scotia ,Canada
Old Hunter Offline
trapper
Old Hunter  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia ,Canada
I'm under a watchful eye a psa test every 6 months. 1 biopsy showed 1 core out of 8 positive another biopsy showed nothing . First psa showed close to 6 and had dropped to just over 5 this all has been in 3 years.Next check up in mid May .

37 rats
14 coons
9 beavers
5 coyotes
4 cats
3 mink
3 weasels
Re: Prostate Cancer [Re: Bluegoose] #3780968
04/27/13 07:11 PM
04/27/13 07:11 PM
Beasley, Tx
B
Bluegoose Offline OP
trapper
Bluegoose  Offline OP
trapper
B

Beasley, Tx
Good luck with and keep checking it.

It sounds a lot like my situation. My PSA would rise and fall around 6. The last time it rose a bit my doctor administered a special urine test where the collection was done immediately after the digit exam. The results showed a genetic change that prompted us to do a biopsy which, like yours showed 1 core positive.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread