ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How to get started. #5857128
03/25/17 07:52 PM
03/25/17 07:52 PM
Western Montana
J
Jmoss Offline OP
trapper
Jmoss  Offline OP
trapper
J

Western Montana
How do you get started in this line of work or find clients?

Re: How to get started. [Re: Jmoss] #5857501
03/26/17 07:37 AM
03/26/17 07:37 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
If you have the funds for advertising and paying folks to get you work, that might be the way to go if you're looking for a quick turn around. When I started I didn't have the funds to spend thousands on ads and websites and then pay people to manage all the social feeds etc. To this day I still do it myself, im no professional in websites and advertising, but it works for me. I have no complaints with the volume of work I recieve each year.

So, interaction with the public along with business cards were a start. I stopped and introduced my self to folks out doing yard work and left a card. Stopped by all the farms in town and neighboring towns and left cards. Farms are great to pick up rodent work.I've been the low bid just to get jobs, and don't feel bad, or like a scab for doing it. You need to be hungry in this trade because it will pass you by like nobodies business.

All these other wildlife guys could careless if you got the job or not, money talks. Go getta's succeed in this trade. The work load depends on how hungry you are. Get to know pest control and wildlife techs, preferably the one to two man operation. I find those are the ones to push more work over my way than the bigger companies. Contractors , realestate. Reps start handing them cards out.

I was fortunet in knowing a few guys who've been in the business for quite a long time and hit that age where they're just not climbing up ladders, cut back on their volume, and gave me their accounts and pushed over calls.
Personality and being confident in what you do when doing it, will pay off. I've learned a lot from the guys who've been in this industry for decade's that are very good at their craft. Also know guys who've been in for a significant amount of time who I feel do us a dis-service. Use your head out there, if it don't feel right, it probably isn't. Nothing wrong with visiting forums and asking for a second opinion. Good luck

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: How to get started. [Re: Jmoss] #5857561
03/26/17 09:19 AM
03/26/17 09:19 AM
Western Montana
J
Jmoss Offline OP
trapper
Jmoss  Offline OP
trapper
J