ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bats in house #3269817
08/12/12 12:53 PM
08/12/12 12:53 PM
Glenwood Springs Colorado
nighthunter2 Offline OP
trapper
nighthunter2  Offline OP
trapper

So i was hopeing for a little advice i have a bat job going and i have excluded the bats out of the roof systems. but since i started the job we have been finding bat droppings in the master bedroom on a desk i have searched the room high and low in the cracks of the logs sealed where the logs meet the drywall and we have sealed the room off from the rest of the house during this process is there anything like bird netting or something i can hang and hope the bat gets caught in the netting or do you guys have any other advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

Joe Herrman
Paramount Wildlife Management
Glenwood Springs
(970)309-0865
paramountwm@yahoo.com
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3269869
08/12/12 01:31 PM
08/12/12 01:31 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Log cabbins are the toughest bat exclusions for me. If you are sure you have the bats excluded from the building, its possible that the droppings are falling from the peak of the ceiling. In a cabin with vaulted ceilings there is usually a beveled 1x4 to cover the opening, or a ridge beam that looks like a log. Droppings built up on this will dry and shrink falling down directly below. Its possible that bugs are moving these droppings enough to make them fall through the tiny cracks.Even wind can push a dried bat dropping, as they are just exoskeleton remains of bugs. A few droppings on a flat surface, not stuck to anything indicates what I described.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3269896
08/12/12 01:54 PM
08/12/12 01:54 PM
nighthunter2 Offline OP
trapper
nighthunter2  Offline OP
trapper

there are some urine stain streaks on the window as for the logs they have been sealed up where the dry wall meets the log by me and the droppings are fresh every morning they are soft the whole nine yards so this one has me beating my head against a wall

Joe Herrman
Glenwood Springs
(970)309-0865
paramountwm@yahoo.com
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3269909
08/12/12 01:58 PM
08/12/12 01:58 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Don't focus on the inside of the building, exclusions are done on the outside. Urine stains can come from roosting bats, but fresh droppings inside tells me the exclusion was ineffective, and you need to get it on the re-do list. If you need to call, 715-459-7412

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3270160
08/12/12 05:25 PM
08/12/12 05:25 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Any bathroom vents or recessed lighting that the little demon could be going in and out . Attic entery point take look there .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3270184
08/12/12 05:48 PM
08/12/12 05:48 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Sounds like you've got a bat that keeps visiting that room, but it may not be "living" there. I agree with Mike, log cabins are one of the hardest bat exclusions you'll ever face. The issue may be as complicated as an opening occurring during the evening as the logs shift or as simple as trim or a picture allowing the bat to slide in behind it during the day. This is a case where until you see it you probably won't figure it out.

But to answer your first question, you can hang a mist net in the room to catch the bat. I'd recommend that you plan on a long night as you want to be there when the bat is caught to remove it, euthanize it, and put it in a container so it can be tested for rabies.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3270224
08/12/12 06:18 PM
08/12/12 06:18 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
Don't forget to look inside any recessed lighting/track lighting.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3270908
08/13/12 03:27 AM
08/13/12 03:27 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I'll agree with Mike and Eric on this. Would relate a story that I just dealt with too of similar nature.

One cabin we just worked on was slated for a fall exclusion after the maternity colony is fully ready.
There are maids for these folks and they clean up without generally making mention I'm finding of
any guano or whatever, in and out get the job done sort of deal and I won't begrudge them for that.
The property management company calls me saying they've been trying to catch a rat for the last few
weeks and can't seem to, would I give them advice next time in the area. I get there and look and
it is bat guano and as Mike stated it is falling from the 1 by 4 trim board that spans between the tongue
and groove peaked ceiling. You could see guano along the edge where it was spaced and sure enough
it was falling on the couch and carpet. Problem solved by sealing this board and the client getting proper
exclusion next month.

While I'm there literally working on this little seal up, I get a call from the same town and the homeowner
relates that his property management company said they saw some guano on the carpet, a few droppings
nothing crazy.

So they explain to the out of state owner, they've got a guy who handles bat issues. This guy is sent and
when the owner and his wife arrive in town the first night they meet the guy finishing up. He tells them
hes dealt with hundreds of bats jobs and everything is all set. He explains that he noticed the trim board
had some guano coming down, so he removed the entire length of it and when he did guano and bats fell into
the living area (very very very nice home, that though used seasonally, is immaculate and new). He removed
those bats and apparently cleaned up the visible guano and then he shot foam into this space.

Next he went outside and found all the places he could that he felt bats were coming in through and sealed them
again with foam.

That night the owners were awakened by more than 10 bats within their home flying loose. The next night 4,
the night after that 5 and so on till a local friend whose son hired us last year gives her the phone number.

So we go over and within a few minutes in the home I can hear bats within the wall upstairs, I go outside on the
roof and can hear bats within the exterior wall voids. After explaining to him about the maternity season and
about proper bat exclusion he is more than willing to have me step in and correct this if possible.

I spend about 20 minutes cutting two or three cans worth of great stuff out of the hole, another couple of hours
searching around the rest of the multi peaked roof and in the end leaving them to it for now telling them to call
me if they have another bat inside the home in the following days.

The next night they watch more than 200 bats fly out of the hole I cut and haven't had a bat inside the home since
as they are now free to leave.

I realize this post is lengthy but I wanted to point out, many people seem to be doing exterior exclusion when they
can't see what is inside during the maternity season. Knowing every part of the country is different and pups are
born at different times to different species, depending on where you are, I'd just add this to the mix.

Be sure you know whether or not they have non volant (non flying) pups. If you can't tell I've not had a customer yet
refuse to wait it out, if the inside of their home was sealed and access was limited.

That wasn't directed at you nighthunter, just a general statement.

I would throw one more thing your way though just in case you haven't checked. In the last few weeks many of my
inspections clearly showed warped screens on windows on the second or third story and people having the windows
open. With urine on the windows and night roosting in close proximity, this is absolutely how many of my clients
ended up with interior bats.

As Mike said, guano is so light its ridiculous, so it could very well be blowing out a very small hole or crevice that a bat
can't get through, but the bats may be on top of. I feel bats teach me something new about a structure every single time
I take a new job. I try to repay them by teaching the homeowner or property manager the best I can about good exclusion
and the timing of said exclusion.

Good luck with it, would like to know your update when you figure out what is going on. I find bat work very enjoyable
but extremely tedious and time consuming due to the nature of the cracks and crevices you have to find and seal.

Justin

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3272543
08/14/12 12:12 AM
08/14/12 12:12 AM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
I did a job a few years ago . the very same thing I found the bat inside the track of a sliding window the only thing I seen of the bat was a 2"strip of fur in the track very easy to over look .

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3272993
08/14/12 10:50 AM
08/14/12 10:50 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Sometimes if you leave the window open they will be stuck to screen when you return . They hear there family outside I think .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3273057
08/14/12 11:40 AM
08/14/12 11:40 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Or they feel the air current?

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3273097
08/14/12 12:07 PM
08/14/12 12:07 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
As The Batguy Ron Scheller says, "There are a hundred ways to do a bat job wrong; only one way to do it right."

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 08/14/12 12:08 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3273745
08/14/12 07:50 PM
08/14/12 07:50 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Where the heck is Ron? I know that this is his busy time, but he needs to let us know that he hasn't fallen through the ceiling of a church or something.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3274146
08/14/12 10:25 PM
08/14/12 10:25 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I guess if he fell, he landed on his phone, cuz he ain't callin' me.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3274198
08/14/12 10:58 PM
08/14/12 10:58 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
He's busy working on his new toys.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3274728
08/15/12 11:10 AM
08/15/12 11:10 AM
nighthunter2 Offline OP
trapper
nighthunter2  Offline OP
trapper

Ok ao here's the update on this ordeal, the night before last the home owner called me said he sees the bat hanging over the desk that it has been crapping on for the last 3 weeks and asks if I can come out and take of it and I said I was on my way. So when I get there the home owner meets in the driveway with a grin from ear to ear and I ask him if the bat is still there and he says no so I am thinking great the bat has giving me the slip again but I was wrong the home owner decided while I was on my way out there to go and get his high powers silenced pellet gun and just shoot it. He missed it 5 times before finally cone ting with it and just had me remove the dead bat from the room and also patch the 4 pellet holes in the dry wall ceiling. Thanks everyone for your advice

Joe Herrman
Glenwood Springs
(970)309-0865
paramountwm@yahoo.com
Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3274734
08/15/12 11:14 AM
08/15/12 11:14 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

And that bat is the only one? Ill be surprised if thats the end of this story.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3274796
08/15/12 11:55 AM
08/15/12 11:55 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
X2 !

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3275409
08/15/12 06:13 PM
08/15/12 06:13 PM
Northwest, Oh
Tyson A Offline
trapper
Tyson A  Offline
trapper

Northwest, Oh
At least he gets piece of mind for the day until theres another hanging over the desk in the near future grin I've had quite a few customers who swear they have been seeing that " same darn bat for years ". They usually call back in a week or so wanting an exclusion they initially turned down. It's like clockwork.

Re: Bats in house [Re: nighthunter2] #3275951
08/15/12 10:34 PM
08/15/12 10:34 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

If ya burn the gas to get there ya mite as well find what you missed and fix it. But sometimes right after I get a job done, the bats really want back in I guess, and hang on the door frame waiting for it to open. Just tryin to help buddy.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread