ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I Found My Compitition #3223917
07/12/12 07:02 PM
07/12/12 07:02 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I've researched it and found out that I am the ONLY state certified Wildlife Damage Control Agent here in my home county.

So why can I not get my ADC business up and running like it should be?

Too much competition!

Not from other WDC agents but from other trappers, hunters and even city and county Animal Control who have no idea that what they are doing is illegal. I got people telling me that Joe Blow from down the street will come and shoot what ever problem critter they have for nothing. Then there are the city and county guys that are going out and trapping coons and possums and such and charging the home owners nothing because they are getting paid anyway.

Then I find out that they are just relocating most of these critters, coons and fox as well as possums and squirrels. And not even getting permission for release. They just take them down to the boat ramp and chunk 'em out! But yet, I have to dispatch the ones I catch.

How can I possibly hope to compete with that? I'm not getting paid by the state, city or county.

What boggles my mind is that the class that I have to take every third year is all about legalities and what I can't do. Then all these other yahoos are doing whatever because they've not had that class! And I'm talking about people who work out of the police department as their office! I found the same thing happening at the sheriff's office when I went there!

Any body else had to deal with these problems?

Muddawg
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3223925
07/12/12 07:08 PM
07/12/12 07:08 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
YES I would say that every proffessional on here deals with those exact problems all of the time. At least I KNOW I DO. There is always going to be Joe Blow down the street who dabbles in animal work on the side, and in most areas you'll find at least some sort of gov't agency dabbling also.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224026
07/12/12 08:00 PM
07/12/12 08:00 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Everyday, for 20 + years.

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224032
07/12/12 08:09 PM
07/12/12 08:09 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I would move to upper Michigan in a min if I could do what I do in southern Michigan . Mark June moved to Nebraska because there's where the well furred coyote live . If I wanted to trap lobster I would move to Main . Sounds like a good area to open a tow truck company there Dudley NC

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224068
07/12/12 08:35 PM
07/12/12 08:35 PM
northwest florida
T
Tonymichael Offline
trapper
Tonymichael  Offline
trapper
T

northwest florida
In florida,you simply call FWC they have more authority than any other law enforcement org. They can come o your property " without" a search warrant,to simply look in your freezer to see if you have illegal game.they dont care if you are a sheriffs deputy,police officer ect..
And if you transport live coons( totally illegal) or any other critter that the department of agriculture deems is a rabies carrier( or whatever,because you are supposed to dipatch them,gators,coons ect...)they will ruin someone's day!!!!so i am sure there is a simular organiztion there,if it becomes an issue

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224099
07/12/12 08:53 PM
07/12/12 08:53 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Just like everyone else deal with it all the time. They do help the bottom line often. Great for locking momma raccoon out of the attic when baby's are inside. Emergency middle of the night calls because of raccoon ripping apart the house + add on repair work. The neighbor gets the six pack, we get the paycheck. Do the job professionally and your business will grow. The ones that have the neighbor screw up the job are one of the best advertisers (at least for that neighbor hood). The do it your selfers seem to keep it to themselves.

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: RF Wildlife] #3224105
07/12/12 08:56 PM
07/12/12 08:56 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: RF Wildlife
Just like everyone else deal with it all the time. They do help the bottom line often. Great for locking momma raccoon out of the attic when baby's are inside. Emergency middle of the night calls because of raccoon ripping apart the house + add on repair work. The neighbor gets the six pack, we get the paycheck. Do the job professionally and your business will grow. The ones that have the neighbor screw up the job are one of the best advertisers (at least for that neighbor hood). The do it your selfers seem to keep it to themselves.
nothing like a 3am coon is ripping of my shingles call .

Free Trapper
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224121
07/12/12 09:07 PM
07/12/12 09:07 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Need to charge double for the kit removal because you know they harrased the mom so much before they get the bright idea to just board up the hole after she leaves that she placed her kits in some imposable place to get to . I just say well wish you would have called sooner because now I need my saw

Free Trapper
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224122
07/12/12 09:09 PM
07/12/12 09:09 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
You don't want the customers who are having Joe Blow do it for a 6 pack.

Since you are the only one in the County licensed maybe that is the reason why the Animal Control has been doing it. I would bet money that they would rather sit behind their desk than be out chasing raccoons or skunks. Give them a stack of your cards and let them know you are the ONLY licensed show in town and they will start sending you the calls.

Not everyone in your County wants Joe Blow showing up with his shotgun. You need to get to work letting the customers you want know you are there. Canvass your county with flyers and maybe run a few ads in the local classified paper. Maybe even consider getting door hangers and start putting them around the better neighborhoods.

Word of mouth is going to be your best friend and it will take some hard work but you can succeed.

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224172
07/12/12 09:48 PM
07/12/12 09:48 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
In my county the County Dog Warden was upcharging the local municipalities $xx.xx per resident to provide wildlife removal for the residents of the town when needed. the municipalities have recently started realizing they were not getting their moneys worth and not renewing that part of the contract, or putting it up for public bid.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224181
07/12/12 09:58 PM
07/12/12 09:58 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Muddawg,
I did a quick search and looked up the demographics of your area (county), to me they dont look promising. I hope you have a LARGE metropolitan area close by that you plan on servicing. Yes it is possible to be succussful in less populated areas, but the simple fact is that more people equals more animal conflicts. I would want a service area with at least a population of 500,000, if you are trying to make this a full time living. your county has a pop less than 120,000. Also people in more rural communities are more likely to have access to an uncle that trap it for them, or neighbor that will shoot it etc. where as people in larger cities will more readily pay for our services. IMO.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224312
07/12/12 11:08 PM
07/12/12 11:08 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Not being a lawyer, but the reference to the Constitution (4th Amendment I believe..."unreasonable search and seizure") does not apply if the Law Enforcement Officer observes a felony being committed or has good reason to believe that one is being committed.
So if a cop or any other LEO hears gunshots, screaming and sees people running out of your house and bleeding to death, yeah, he can enter without a warrant.
Oh, BTW, with regard to the original topic here...we have no licensing/permit/registration for WCO's in Missouri. Any goober with a pickup and a coupla traps can call himself a WCO (and many do!).
Be professional and market yourself accordingly. Get training, join a state or national association, and you will get work if customers see you as trustworthy.

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 07/12/12 11:09 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224583
07/13/12 09:05 AM
07/13/12 09:05 AM
AR
22mag Offline
trapper
22mag  Offline
trapper

AR
I dabble in control work part-time but handle it as a professional, charging for services just like professionals should do. My business is growing one call at a time and Im showing a profit. If a homeowner wants to take the matter in their own hands it definitely affects my business. Thats one reason why I am going slow and deliberate-- trying to carve out my niche in the market.

Jason Turner
Wildlife Removal, Etc.
www.facebook.com/WildlifeRemovalEtc
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224636
07/13/12 09:54 AM
07/13/12 09:54 AM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

You dont hear mechanics talking the same about back yard mechanics. Half the time they do better work than the bigger shops. We all started out as part timers and fur trappers in one form or another.
I never thought it was a big deal when someone told me my prices were too high and they could get someone to do it for 20 bucks. Do you realy want that person for a customer? I want customers that want it done right, done now, and are willing to pay my fee. I dont want to burn my truck up competing in price wars.
As far as state or national certification goes, You all know my opinion on that. Support your local trappers assn. to keep others from dictating how you do your job.

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224660
07/13/12 10:28 AM
07/13/12 10:28 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Our fish and wildlife dept.here in RI is broke, so all the calls they get for critters get referred to private companies. And I dont think animal control officers around here really wants to deal with it either,I get referrals from them too!I guess in that respect, I'm lucky RI's economy is in the toilet.

Last edited by ritrapper; 07/13/12 10:29 AM.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3224746
07/13/12 11:32 AM
07/13/12 11:32 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

The agencies have a ways to go before they are all out of money, but its going to be another 10 years before they have any to spend on bat and raccoon removal.In my opinion the govt. doesnt have a shortage of money flow, its more of a spending problem. Once the right guy gets ahold of the situation they will make cuts to spending and animal control will be back to cats and dogs again.

Last edited by Mike Flick; 07/13/12 11:41 AM.
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Mike Flick] #3224837
07/13/12 12:50 PM
07/13/12 12:50 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
The agencies have a ways to go before they are all out of money, but its going to be another 10 years before they have any to spend on bat and raccoon removal.In my opinion the govt. doesnt have a shortage of money flow, its more of a spending problem. Once the right guy gets ahold of the situation they will make cuts to spending and animal control will be back to cats and dogs again.

or worst case a JUST A TAX and anything wildlife, bat bird and animal related becomes the sole responsibility of the local-federal government.

Muddawg your not gonna make much money in that part of the country overnight. Treat your customers right and offer better and more services that your competitors will send you referrals for specialty work. The offending animal also opens many doors for other sales opportunities attic cleanup, replace attic insulation, chimney cap installation, deodorization, sanitation, customized metal solutions to solve a particular wildlife concern etc.

Animal damage repair and exclusion work go hand in hand & can be very profitable if you have the skills and equipment to do it right.

Always ask for Referrals. Good luck!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3225306
07/13/12 07:48 PM
07/13/12 07:48 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Granted, there's not much metropolis here but we do have a lot of cattle growers... And a lot of coyotes! Maybe that could be my niche.

If I could get the country clubs around here to start paying me to catch moles and gophers, along with the coyote calls, I could probably make a pretty decent living at it. We've got no less than 5 18 hole golf courses here that I know of. There are still several more gated communities that may have private courses that I'm not aware of.

Then when you consider how many private ponds there are with muskrats infesting their shorelines, I should do well here.

I think the Yellow Pages are gonna be my next bet.

Muddawg
Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Muddawg] #3225313
07/13/12 07:53 PM
07/13/12 07:53 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

The city where I am is doing wildlife control. They weren't holding a current ADCO license. They really hurt my business in that city. And they did shotty work. Yep I turned them in and now they have a license. At least they are legal

Re: I Found My Compitition [Re: Dave Schmidt] #3225443
07/13/12 09:25 PM
07/13/12 09:25 PM
northwest florida
T
Tonymichael Offline
trapper
Tonymichael  Offline
trapper
T

northwest florida
Check out what florida wildlife commision( state police) they only have to have reasonable doubt( anyone that reports a " suspected" offense
( this can be a rumor,hearsay ect....) and,because they are saving/ rescuing wildlife,can obtain permission through that loophole

Last edited by Tonymichael; 07/13/12 09:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread