ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
ozone machine vs atomizer #3219007
07/09/12 10:38 AM
07/09/12 10:38 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
So.. i have a question for you "Pro" guys... when do you use and atomizer and when do you use an Ozone machine? Can ya give me some examples?

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219008
07/09/12 10:39 AM
07/09/12 10:39 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
i dont own an Ozone machine... just wondering the difference in using the 2 different options.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219052
07/09/12 11:19 AM
07/09/12 11:19 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Ozone is basically an air cleanser of sorts. Its function is to attach to air borne particulate that carriers and transmits odors. It drops the odor from the treated environment to the floor in essence. In using the Ozone units it is always important to remove the odor source or the unit may need to be operated for a long term period. We rent units for such use at times for skunk odors and dead animal odors in walls and crawl spaces that may not be able to be recovered etc.

An atomizer is usually used with some sort of fragrance to fog the environment with an odor masker or a deodorizing agent.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219163
07/09/12 12:48 PM
07/09/12 12:48 PM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
Thanks Bob good to know

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219190
07/09/12 01:12 PM
07/09/12 01:12 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
I have had several experiences with Ozone generators and will no longer use them. I worked in management for both a 200 unit motel and a lakeside resort with condos and cabins. At both places Ozone generators were initially purchased to help clear up pet and smoke odors before a room was "turned over" to the new guest. It did not take long to receive complaints of lung irritation, shortness of breath and chest pains because of "something in the air". At first we thought it was chemically based from various cleaners because we encountered the same symptons after about 15 minutes of sitting in the room. If the room was aired out for around 24 hours the issue disappeared. Finally after a complaint from a quest saying that their room smelled bad the Ozone generatar was used on the room while the guest went to dinner. After they returned they complained of bad throat irritation and shortness of breath and that is how we discovered the Ozone generator was the root of our problem. After we stopped using them the complaints stopped. Fast forward to last summer - dead animal smell at a business. Dead animal found and removed and customer said they would take care of the odor since they thought my quote was a liitle high ($125). Two weeks later they called to complain that the odor was still there and causing allergic reactions to the employees and asked if I would come back out. I found that they had borrowed an Ozone generator so I turned it off to see if that solved the problem (Friday). I checked back on Monday and they said there was still a lingering odor but they could breathe much better. So I returned to deodorize and they paid the $125 plus a $45 service call fee and the issue was resolved. So... based on these experiences I will not use them. I have great success with my atomizer and have no need for anything else.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Last edited by METRO FS; 07/09/12 01:13 PM.
Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219463
07/09/12 05:38 PM
07/09/12 05:38 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
One must be aware of the type of ozonation unit being used and the output of the unit you are using. Some units have adjustable ozone output settings for specific square foot areas. Others are fixed output units. Large output units or improper settings of units can cause reactions in some individuals no doubt. That is why we always use the adjustable setting units and start the customer off at the lower settings and have them adjust the settings to a tolerable setting then leave it at that setting for the duration of the odor remediation.

Ozone units certainly have their place if used by experienced equipment operating individuals.Some just think you take a unit into a situation and turn it on and leave. That is not proper implementation of such equipment.Putting even a small unit in a hotel/motel size room for 15 min to 30 mins. could volumize the environment with ozone, thus making it untolerable to some. If using a high output machine the room/rooms should be aired out so to speak prior to occupation.

We have commercial output generators that are used in vacant situations or temporary vacant settings. These are units that may have had a dead corpse in the home for several days in a high heat index, heavy skunk essence odor or animal deceased situation.These high output units require adequate airout with fans prior to human reinhabitation.Each units instructions will explain the do's and don'ts of each units operation.

We have used these units for 17 years without problems. Research and understand the function and proper use of all such devices to guard against potential problems.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: Bob Jameson] #3219770
07/09/12 09:10 PM
07/09/12 09:10 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
We rent ozone generators with no problems so far knock on wood.

Got to educate the customer up front a lot. Got to know what is going on a lot.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3219923
07/09/12 10:32 PM
07/09/12 10:32 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Yes, I agree that experience is required to use the equipment properly and safely. At that time we were fully trained by the rep and operated the equipment in the manner they described. I believe 30 minutes was standard for the motel rooms and 90 minutes for the condos & cottages. Turnover was quick, 11 am check-out and 3 pm check-in. Four hours for housekeeping and maintenance including the Ozone generator. If pet urine/feces was detected they had to spot clean and disinfect the carpet as well. Of course there were always the ones that checked out late and just as many that checked in early. Perhaps if there had been more time to introduce fresh air there wouldn't have been any problems. Likewise, the newer generators may be safer to operate. What brand are you currently using? Do you have them sign a waiver of liability when they rent the unit? I try to stay open minded so perhaps I'll explore them again and change my opinion. ;-)

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3220083
07/09/12 11:58 PM
07/09/12 11:58 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
You Never run a commercial Ozone machine in a Occupied structure,,,,,,,,,,

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3221424
07/10/12 10:00 PM
07/10/12 10:00 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
J
John Pearson Offline
trapper
John Pearson  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, Tennessee
We use 2 "Ozone Blaster" units. We always stipulate that the client and all pets vacate the premises before and during treatment, and we air out the house before we let the client back inside. For dead skunk odor we usually run an overnight treatment.
I had 2 jobs, a few weeks apart in which a builder had several of his employees kill skunks in the crawlspace of brand new homes. The employees clubbed the skunks with a brick (knotheads? si). Needless to say there was quite an odor. I ran a unit in the crawl and one in the living space. The builder closed on one of the homes the following week and there was no odor whatsoever.
Our units are programmable and we usually run them on the 12 o'clock setting, pointing into the air return with the system set to "run" or "fan". That way the ozone is distributed to the entire house. We also open all doors, closets, etc. Everything with a "hinge or a handle" to circulate air to all dead air pockets. The machines work very well in many circumstances after the odor source has been removed. Like Bob said, they have their place if used correctly.

John
Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3221437
07/10/12 10:06 PM
07/10/12 10:06 PM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline OP
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
thanks guys .. i learned something here. appreciate the information.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: Vinke] #3221615
07/11/12 12:07 AM
07/11/12 12:07 AM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Vinke
You Never run a commercial Ozone machine in a Occupied structure,,,,,,,,,,

Each of our machines has a laminated instruction sheet connected to the machine. Our standard rental contract is a cover all paper for all the things we rent out, and it does have room for add on stuff.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3222767
07/11/12 10:24 PM
07/11/12 10:24 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Personally I blame the big hole in the sky to these machines, tell your customers to suck it up, the ozone that is and leave the air to be used by the enviroment.

smile

I have a few non adjustable machines but know the output. We use them accordly.

Re: ozone machine vs atomizer [Re: wiggler] #3223054
07/12/12 03:28 AM
07/12/12 03:28 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
dude,,,,,????????//// my farts are the cause of the hole,,,,,, But,,,i have insurance to cover it and an llc in case that does not work..............

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread