ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bailey Problem #3169623
05/23/12 09:56 AM
05/23/12 09:56 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
I was warned that I would have problems with Baileys single firing, just one jaw coming up and it happened, so I missed a beaver the other day. Bought it a couple of years ago, but the trap is quite new, used just a little, just made 2 catches with it, but now a miss, which is not a good percentage and now worried about future misses of course. I like the idea behind the trap and have spots to use it on occasion and will use it more if it will work each time. Wondering if anyone has done any modifying to the Bailey? Spoke with trapper Don who gave me some pointers on it and just wondering if there are some things that can be done to make sure of success without worry? Like to take the user error out it.

Re: Bailey Problem [Re: Jim Comstock] #3169751
05/23/12 12:57 PM
05/23/12 12:57 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Jim,
I have never used the Bailey beaver trap so can’t offer any advice on using them. Here are links to a couple of articles on them. You are probably already familiar with them though.

http://wildlifecontrolconsultant.com/bailey-beaver-trap-modifications-now-standard
http://icwdm.org/wildlife/beaver/baileytrapmodifications.asp
Bailey replacement parts- http://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=728

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Bailey Problem [Re: Jim Comstock] #3169800
05/23/12 02:16 PM
05/23/12 02:16 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Thanks, this is great stuff! Had just heard that Steve was the one with the info on it. Glad you had it on hand, saves a lot of time tracking it down. Will look at all of them.

Re: Bailey Problem [Re: Jim Comstock] #3169933
05/23/12 04:44 PM
05/23/12 04:44 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Sell the Bailey on Ebay and buy a Comstock.......... grin

Re: Bailey Problem [Re: Jim Comstock] #3169986
05/23/12 05:32 PM
05/23/12 05:32 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I replaced the chain connections to the trigger mechanism on both sides to 5/64 cable. This provides for a smoother,cleaner setting and firing in my experience. I also had some misfire issues using them at different times.

Re: Bailey Problem [Re: Jim Comstock] #3170769
05/24/12 08:43 AM
05/24/12 08:43 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
ponyboy.....hmmmm, something to consider.

Sounds like that would be a big plus replacing the chains. The chain seemed problematic in the mechanism when setting it, something to catch, not good. Conceptually the trap has merit, but it would seem that there was not nearly enough time spent in refining, to prevent issues that still plague the thing. Wondering when that trap was invented exactly? Way back? Just need to spend some time to make study more and make adjustments. Too bad it didn't come made right out of the box. Do like to have as many tools as they make, something of everything that is good. First time I set it, thought it would be a cure all, a few years back. It was unsprung with so much clay mud packed in it could barely lift it out to clean it up, like 80 pounds I would guess. Said the heck with that, tossed it out into the pond away from the dam, had him the next day. Got one at a culvert the other day after getting whacked in the fact when it went off while setting, but the main thing, we got the beaver.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread