ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Red Squirrels From ****!!! #3141987
04/30/12 07:51 PM
04/30/12 07:51 PM
MI/The creek
T
TwoDogs Offline OP
trapper
TwoDogs  Offline OP
trapper
T

MI/The creek
Well I’m about to wave my little white flag to the red squirrels this time! One house in a historic neighborhood, I trapped this place last fall ended up catching two reds in about a month time. I was 80% sure on the point of entry it was in the garage along the top plate and into the attic. Well they had their carpenter coming out to seal up the garage (Dry walled completely) any way so it was just a waiting game. Garage was sealed up right after Christmas and all activity ceased until the end of March. Here in MI we call them Michigan basements not sure what you all call them field stone walls, dirt floors, dirt most the way up the wall on the inside. Well the squirrels had excavated out a small whole at an up word angle in one of the sand stones that lined the wall. I patched and a couple other small probably mouse or shrew holes leading into the house again. I set a trap leading out then a few weasel boxes around 3 days ended up with one black squirrel. Poled my sets do to no more activity and went on my way. Here we are almost one month later squirrels in the attic but in a different spot that is sealed off to the rest of the main attic over a bud room. I’m at a loss. I had one on a trail camera set off two rat traps and never got caught. I am the 3 adc guy they have had and they said I am the best so far this is why they keep calling. I’m inches from beating my head into that stone wall! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all in advance.

TwoDogs Predator Control
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142013
04/30/12 08:15 PM
04/30/12 08:15 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Red squirrels in my neck of the woods aren't very big on peanut butter. I use Erickson's squirrel paste but from the posts I've read, most everybody's squirrel paste works real well. I pride myself on the fact that I can annihilate red squirrels. Pine cones and black walnuts make excellent bait by the way. The other day I came around the corner and there was a red squirrel sitting on top of this baited cage calmly eating a pine cone. As I approached, he never stopped eating, but I swear it looked like he flipped me the bird. They ain't near as easy as gray squirrels!

I seem to do just as well setting my squirrel cages on the ground with red squirrels and I normaly set nearly twice as many as I do for Grays.

Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142131
04/30/12 09:20 PM
04/30/12 09:20 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
A lot of our red jobs are at ground level. We set #55 body grips over holes on the outside. Take a look at the pacmans. We don't usually use bait or lure.

Last edited by Phil Nichols; 04/30/12 09:21 PM.
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142262
04/30/12 10:39 PM
04/30/12 10:39 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
That's how I would go you gave them a chance now it's time for the 55 to come out . One thing about Michigan pine squirrel you better kill every one of them little dudes or them little dudes will just chew right back in , don't fix any holes till there done , get some news paper and plug the holes with that to make sure you got them all before you fix any holes . Also get some of them little conibear holders that mn trappline pro makes they just screw right in the roof , if the 55 needs some blocking around it just cut some hardware cloth to make sure they only go threw the trap . How many pine trees are in the yard . You ever watch them little things kick the crap out of a fox squirrel . What area are you in

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142295
04/30/12 11:11 PM
04/30/12 11:11 PM
MI/The creek
T
TwoDogs Offline OP
trapper
TwoDogs  Offline OP
trapper
T

MI/The creek
#55 wont work its back yard and they have a dog. Paul I use peanut butter with chopped walnuts and/or sunflower seeds in the bait also use WCS squirrel bait, liqued peanut, and another lure switch in and out of boxes. Cages sometimes as well along with Koro traps. I think I'm going to set heavy! Trip to lowes tomorrow for more dogear fence planks. No pine trees but about 5 40" black walnut trees. This job is about 25 miles east in marshall. Thank you all! Any other tips???

TwoDogs Predator Control
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142297
04/30/12 11:12 PM
04/30/12 11:12 PM
MI/The creek
T
TwoDogs Offline OP
trapper
TwoDogs  Offline OP
trapper
T

MI/The creek
Oooh and LT's bait as soon as it is ready LOL

TwoDogs Predator Control
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142325
04/30/12 11:37 PM
04/30/12 11:37 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
You dint put the peanut butter on the bread you got to use bread , I like whole wheat myself but the guy that trained me use only white , peanut butter wont work without the bread . Also use apples and peanut butter , I tried the weasel box thing to dint work . If there a dog problem wire some squirrel size cage trap up in the pine trees and use peanut butter and bread , bread won't work and peanut butter won't work but put the two together and that is the best squirrel bait out there , peanuts are the strongest smelling nut . Chuck the boxes out to the road

Free Trapper
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142330
04/30/12 11:42 PM
04/30/12 11:42 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
So your working around Howell . I did a pine squirrel job the other day and there were no pine trees it was black walnut trees to . Wierd I hope its not the same job because I thought it was a done deal , that's was in highland , can't be the same house I gave the lady a warranty after the exclusion for 5 years on my repairs only

Free Trapper
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142331
04/30/12 11:43 PM
04/30/12 11:43 PM
MI/The creek
T
TwoDogs Offline OP
trapper
TwoDogs  Offline OP
trapper
T

MI/The creek
15 reds and 26 chips last year out of one yard Boxes ONLY they do work with nothing but peanut butter and sunflowers also the only way I was able to get the ones i did at this place last year they would not go in a cage at this location.

TwoDogs Predator Control
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142336
04/30/12 11:48 PM
04/30/12 11:48 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
That's because you didn't use bread I'm tell you , I'm not going to say how many I caught using peanut butter and bread it's the combo of the two , try it . What kind of cage traps do you have

Free Trapper
Re: Red Squirrels From ****!!! [Re: TwoDogs] #3142344
04/30/12 11:59 PM
04/30/12 11:59 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Two dog have you seen any chipmunk this year I haven't seen any and I talked to this other guy and he hasn't seen any ether , normaly them little buggers are running every were , we had like lots of warm days seems like I would have seen some by now

Free Trapper
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread